Completely stymied-- SW update, accounts, iPad and iPhone set up

Good morning, A few issues on which we have spent hours.

1. We have a family subscription. My husband is the lead member. He is on 1password 6 (Version 6.8.4 Agilebits Store) and although I have tried to update,and my version says I am up to date, I am only on 1password 4 (. This does not seem correct and causes other issues as noted below, as Version 4 ( Version 4.4.3 Agileweb Store) does not have the same features to which your support sites refer for taking action -- (eg. the preferences section does not have an "accounts" area to click and use as is instructed).
  2. No matter what we try to do -- for example set up 1Password on his new iPad, we are asked for a secret key. All the support sites are circular in that all the avenues for taking action lead to a page or screen that asks for a secret key. The site says that one has a secret key if one signed up for an "account". Then there are other mentions of "membership" and things that depend on how you bought your original license. After a whole lot of time going around in circles and dead ends I am totally confused. And i am no idiot. Are licenses, memberships and accounts completely different. If we bought our license and did not sign up for an account on your site, did we end up without a secret key that is now required? None of the options your site gives for finding our key works. They just lead to other actions, such as trying to set up an "account"-- that once again, asks for the secret key.

So, in summary, we need help on getting my mac air on 1Password 6, we need to get 1Password 6 on my husband's iPad and my iPhone. We need to get one or more "accounts" set up and get a secret key or find a secret key.

Your help will be appreciated.

Taia

1Password Version: 4.4.3 and 6.8.4
Extension Version: Ext. Icon does not appear in Preferences
OS Version: 10.9.5 and 10.13.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Completely stymied

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TERG: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 4 is very old and predates 1Password.com (and the modern iCloud) by years, so it is not compatible, along with many other issues. You can find more information here:

1Password 4 legacy support information

Long story short, in addition to the inability to get important security fixes and use modern browsers, you'll need to upgrade to macOS Yosemite or higher to be able to use 1Password 6 there, which works with a 1Password Families membership. You can find the Secret Key in your the Emergency Kit of your 1Password Families account, but that won't do you any good until you're on a recent OS version. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TERG
    TERG
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

re the version item #1 above: I know that it is old and am eager to get the updated SW. I am fully up to date on my macOS SW so that should not be an issue. How do I get the update to 1password 6? As noted above, when I look for the update in my 1Password it says I am up to date and there is no update available. Is it not recognizing that I am part of the family? Note the difference in the SW version descriptors above-- Agileweb store vs agilebits store.

Re #2. Do you records indicate that we have a secret key? As noted in my original message I have been to all the pages on your site related to finding your secret key and they outline steps that all involve doing things (like going into "your account"), that require entering your secret key. Catch 22.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TERG,

How do I get the update to 1password 6?

You can download it from our Downloads page.

As noted above, when I look for the update in my 1Password it says I am up to date and there is no update available. Is it not recognizing that I am part of the family? Note the difference in the SW version descriptors above-- Agileweb store vs agilebits store.

Version 4 of 1Password for Mac will not automatically update to version 6, nor does it support using any 1Password accounts (including 1Password Families).

1Password 6 for Mac requires OS X Yosemite 10.10 (or later), like brenty mentioned, and 6.6 (or later) is required to use 1Password accounts.

The system requirements for 1Password support article has additional information about that.

So if your MacBook Air is still running OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks and 1Password 4.4.3 "Agileweb Store" you won't be able to upgrade to 1Password 6 or use 1Password accounts on it. I was able to upgrade my 2011 MacBook Air to macOS High Sierra and maybe yours is upgradable, too.

Do you records indicate that we have a secret key?

You only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password membership, or if you belong to a family or team account. We don't discuss 1Password membership or account details on the forum, and if you send email to support@agilebits.com we'll be able to better assist you with getting this all sorted out.

I hope that helps. Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.