Adding TOTP in Android [supported in version 7]

jakswa
jakswa
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Android

I was recently looking to ditch Google Authenticator, so I wouldn't lose my MFA next time I factory reset my phone. I pay for 1password and initially it seemed like it was possible. However, I run linux on desktop and android on mobile.

Is this feature still coming? How far back is it buried in your issue tracker?

I've taken the liberty of cataloging some previous responses, for you to build off of:

While we are hoping to add support for adding TOTP in 1Password 4 for Android in the future, we can't make any promises just yet. [March 2015]

we do plan to review this feature in the short term [May 2016]

No word on that yet. We'd have to support custom fields to be able to add TOTP on Android, and that's something we'd love to do. I'll give this issue a little bump in our issue tracker. [Aug 2016]

I'll let the developers know you'd like to see support for adding TOTP fields on Android soon. [Sep 2016]

We are hoping to support adding TOTP fields to 1Password on Android in the future [Dec 2016]

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jakswa. We try not to make promises with regards to unreleased features because our plans can easily be offset for any number of reasons. So when a feature is requested, we can't promise if and when we'll be able to support it. That said, we do hope to support adding TOTP fields from Android in the future, though I can't say when that might be. I will let the developers know you're interested, though!

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member

+1 for this request, I was unable to set up OTP yesterday at work, Android doesn't have this feature and Windows 4.6 can't either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@Snpbond: You can totally setup TOTP in 1Password for Windows version 4 by adding a "one-time password" field to the login:

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to be able to do that on Android too. :)

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

Yeah, Windows version (6.x) which you were writing from a scratch supports TOTP adding, while Android version (that is older) still does not support this ...

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member

@brenty I should have clarified, the problem is that some sites/apps don't give you an advanced options button when setting up TOTP to get that code, they just give you a QR code to scan. So I have to wait till I'm back in front of my Mac because 1Password for OSX has a little QR code scanner.

Windows 6.x might, but I'm one of the customers waiting for 7.x which supports my local vaults :)

• Thanks for the feedback, @revanmj and @Snpbond. While we currently support syncing TOTP fields, we don't yet have support for adding those custom fields on Android. This is something we do hope to support, and I'll pass your feedback on this to our team. Let us know if you need anything else!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, Windows version (6.x) which you were writing from a scratch supports TOTP adding, while Android version (that is older) still does not support this ...

@revanmj: That's a fair point. But I think you're thinking of it the other way 'round: it's much easier for us to build this into the new Windows app since we're making that from scratch; 1Password for Android was originally built before 1Password supported TOTP at all. This is definitely something we want on all platforms, but it does take time and there are other things that are higher priority. Thanks for continuing to push us to be better though. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

@brenty I should have clarified, the problem is that some sites/apps don't give you an advanced options button when setting up TOTP to get that code, they just give you a QR code to scan.

@Snpbond: Ah, you're totally right. I sometimes have that same trouble. :blush:

So I have to wait till I'm back in front of my Mac because 1Password for OSX has a little QR code scanner. Windows 6.x might, but I'm one of the customers waiting for 7.x which supports my local vaults :)

I hear you. This is something we really want too. I'm not sure we can technically do it on Windows the same way we can on macOS, but that would certainly be preferable. Thanks for your encouragement on this! :)

• Mongoose089
    Mongoose089
    Community Member

+1 for Android OTP scanning

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you'd like to be able to add TOTP in 1Password for Android as well. I can't say when we'll be able to add it, but it's definitely something we want too!

• qzmarco
    qzmarco
    Community Member

If only the keyboard supported filling the TOTP field ... it's pretty bad to have to switch between windows to copy TOTP, paste TOTP ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@qzmarco: Well, it could be worse. ;)

But I agree that it could be better as well. :)

It isn't a common use case, so, given that, and the fact that our focus is on newer filling methods which offer a better user experience, our focus isn't on the keyboard currently. What we'd like do is have 1Password for Android automatically copy the TOTP code to the clipboard after filling login credentials. I can't say if or when we'll be able to do that, but it's been a successful experiment on other platforms which we'd like to make available everywhere if we can. Cheers! :)

ref: OPA-1360

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

Problem is, you fill TOTP mostly on the websites, not native screens. And so far, Autofill from Oreo doesn't support those in most cases.

Another thing is that Autofill is supported only on Oreo, which doesn't even have 1% of market share. I know there is accessibility service thing, but I prefer keyboard as that's 'lighter" than accessibility service.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Problem is, you fill TOTP mostly on the websites, not native screens. And so far, Autofill from Oreo doesn't support those in most cases.

@revanmj: Yep, my point exactly. That's why automatically copying seems like it would be better, since that could work in more cases. :chuffed:

Another thing is that Autofill is supported only on Oreo, which doesn't even have 1% of market share. I know there is accessibility service thing, but I prefer keyboard as that's 'lighter" than accessibility service.

You're forgetting OpenYOLO. Honestly, I want to forget that name! :lol:

Anyway, as more apps adopt it that will work for anyone using 1Password 6.6 or higher — regardless of the Android version. :sunglasses:

I understand why you prefer a keyboard, but we're not a keyboard company. It just isn't our area of expertise or our focus. And frankly even if we put a lot more work into the 1Password Keyboard, most people will still prefer some of the much more powerful and feature-rich 3rd party keyboards. There's a really vibrant ecosystem on Android, and we're not going to be able to compete with that. The only reason that the 1Password Keyboard exists is because at one time it was the only option. Since there are others available to us now which are much more powerful and a better use experience, we're going to focus our efforts there for now. Cheers! :)

• I agree, @Sinister. Adding TOTP is something we'd love to do. However, it's not a matter of scanning QR codes versus adding a secret. Rather, in order to add TOTP fields from 1Password on Android, we need to support adding custom fields.

That said, you can already read TOTP fields on Android. So if you've added the TOTP on another platform, you can sync and access it from 1Password on your Android device.

• revrev
    revrev
    Community Member

@brenty +1 for this feature

What we'd like do is have 1Password for Android automatically copy the TOTP code to the clipboard after filling login credentials.

As someone who recently switched from iOS to Android, this is my biggest feature request for 1P on Android (so good on iOS and Mac!). Keep up the good work, and thanks for all you guys do.

• Thanks @revrev and @Sinister! I'll pass your requests for adding TOTP from Android on to our team. :)

• artlogic
    artlogic
    Community Member

+1 for Android TOTP scanning support (custom fields). I would love to ditch Google Authenticator.

• Thanks @artlogic. This is something we're hoping to support in the future. In the meantime, you can add those passwords from iOS, Mac, and Windows if you're using 1Password elsewhere.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

+1 for TOTP-QR scanning and custom fields in general (adding, removing, editing and sorting): these are huge shortcomings compared to the iOS version.

In the meanwhile I use this workaround: in the Android browser I go to my.1password.eu, add an empty TOTP field, scan the QR with my Motorola Camera app (or any other QR scanner app) and paste the secret (as a string) in the field inside the 1P Android app. It's a bit tricky, but it works.

• Thanks for the request and the awesome workaround @lammoth!

• kkrauth
    kkrauth
    Community Member

Recently switched from LastPass to 1Password and while 1Password feels more polished overall, the inconsistency between features across platforms is somewhat jarring. The Android app could definitely use some love to get it to feature parity with the iOS counterpart, and defining custom fields deserves to be high on priority list!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Recently switched from LastPass to 1Password and while 1Password feels more polished overall, the inconsistency between features across platforms is somewhat jarring.

@kkrauth: Thanks for not only the compliment, but also the honest criticism. We agree, and better feature parity is something we're working toward.

The Android app could definitely use some love to get it to feature parity with the iOS counterpart, and defining custom fields deserves to be high on priority list!

It is. I can't say more than that right now, but it's good to know that this is something you want as much as we do. Appreciate the poke, not only from you but also to the folks here on the team who are also Android users. ;)

ref: OPA-107

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That is the same thing I have been saying forever. They are supposedly working on some of this.

@Sinister: Definitely not forever, but definitely something we are working on. ;)

Another thing I cound out the Android app cannot do is save attachments to an item.

We don't currently have plans for additional local vault features, but we are working on improving Documents in 1Password for Android.

I know it may seem sometimes like nothing is happening, because to you, as a user, features are binary: either they're there or they're not. But the reality is that for every menu/option/selection and capability it triggers, there's a lot that has to be coded and wired up and tested behind the scenes before it will even be shown in a public beta. And there are often challenges and delays along the way. Something that's relatively "easy" on one platform due to toolkits and APIs isn't necessarily on another, and usually have to be coded from scratch because of platform differences (one exception being iOS and macOS, where some underlying code — though not UI — can be shared in many cases). So while it can certainly be exciting when something new ships, in the mean time, I know the wait can seem like "forever" even when, in the grand scheme of things in the life of a platform or app, it's not terribly long. Thanks for your patience and passion for 1Password being all it can be. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Sinister: We are. Custom fields — like TOTP — will work for local vaults as well. Probably some other things I'm forgetting too, but that's the context of this discussion.

I did not say, however, that we were going to do everything for local vaults. That isn't possible, either technically (there's a lot that only can work with 1Password.com) or temporally (so many hours in a day). And, though I know you want support for multiple local vaults perhaps more than anything else, I definitely didn't tell you that was coming, as it isn't something we're working on or have plans to for the foreseeable future.

• r1cebank
    r1cebank
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you all for the hard work on this app, I've been a 1Password user since 2015 and before I used many solutions like Lastpass, Dashlane and Keepass and the experience was never as good as 1Password. Today you guys pushed an Android update, and I actually got excited because we rarely get any updates. But, the QR scanning for setting up OTP is not there again. I get that as a user we see features as binary and we don't consider the hard work behind this, as a software engineer I deal with this personally everyday. After seeing this long thread and you guys constantly insisting on not having enough time makes me wonder do you really care about your Anrdoid users, my wife's phone is iPhone and she get far more updates than I do. (Thank you for the updates, sadly I am not using iOS). I get this, its not because its harder to do, its more like your team is not prioritizing Android platform features. Now the experience using 1Password has gone worse and worse and I am reconsidering if I will renew my family subscription with you guys. I want to continue to use your software, but this is a deal breaker.

This discussion has been closed.