1Password X and Extension v4.6.13.2 at the same time?

Options

I have downloaded 1Password X but initially, Extension v4.6.13.2 was disabled. Should I be running both? I have them both enabled now.

As has been stated elsewhere Ctrl - \ isn't working and Ctrl Shift X is working for 1Password X.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There's no real harm in running both, but I'd say pick one or the other to avoid confusion. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

So far so good. Thanks.

• Thanks for bringing this up, @wkleem. You're right, 1Password X automatically disables the 1Password 4.6 extension when it is first configured. Running both at the same time created quite a bit of confusion for users during the beta period so we thought it best to take this approach.

Since it technically is possible to run them side by side, we disable it once and and only once. That allows those who know what they want to reenable it and use both. Still, I recommend the same approach that Brenty proposed: pick one and roll with it :)

As for Command-\, you probably already saw that Chrome doesn't allow us to configure that shortcut for activating 1Password from the toolbar. That's where Command-Shift-X comes in. You can still use Command-\ within a webpage itself as long as keyboard focus is within a field. Also, note that 1Password for Mac will steal the Command-\ keypress before Chrome can see it, so you'll need to clear that hotkey within the 1Password > Preferences > General tab before you'll be able to use it with 1Password X.

Hope that helps! Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @dteare,
    I will have to test 1Password X’s numeric password generation as 1Password and v6 for Windows are unable to generate all numeric passcodes. I am sticking to 1Password v4 for the local vault and numeric password capabilities.

• All numeric passwords are not possible in 1Password X yet. Adding a customizable password generation recipe to the main 1Password window is something we're looking into adding in a future release. I wanted it in 1.0 to be honest but we didn't settle on a design that we all liked, so instead of rushing it we decided to keep this feature for the future.

Thanks for letting us know all numeric passcodes are important to you! :)

Take care,

++dave;

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member
    Options

Do you think it is possible to come up with a way by which 1Password doesn't prompt for installing 1Password extension for Chrome if 1Password X is already installed? I don't want to enable both at the same time. And I understand that 1Password X is a separate login and is totally independent of the application installed on my Mac. But there has to be a way by which the application knows that Chrome has 1P X installed.

• mujtaba_mir
    mujtaba_mir
    Community Member
    Options

Screenshot from my mac with Chrome on 1P X.

• bundtkate
    edited December 2017
    Options

@mujtaba_mir: That's an interesting ponder there. On the one hand, mini has many uses beyond opening and filling logins in your browser, but on the other that is one of its primary functions which is not going to work without the standard 1Password extension as you're right -- 1Password X is completely separate. I'm not sure what would be the best way to address this. We don't want to take away that reminder that mini isn't going to do 100% of its job unless you install/enable the extension, but we don't want it nagging you when you've chose a different path in your browser either. Like with many things in life, there may not be a perfect solution here, but it's certainly something worth thinking about. Either way, this would need to be handled by 1Password for Mac so I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the Mac team so they can consider the best path forward. Thanks for taking the time to share! :chuffed:

ref: OPM-5534

This discussion has been closed.