Major Headache due to Sync issues, passwords now incorrect!

Options
TWSkip
TWSkip
Community Member

I am hoping you can help as I am very frustrated with the situation. I currently have several vaults synced within Dropbox. Some of these vaults are shared with other computers and synced within Dropbox too.

On another computer we rarely use, my wife's email account wasn't working. Turns out that the server and password info was old and needed to be updated. I went into 1PW to get the new info I had recorded and updated a few months ago.

That info that I had retrieved from 1PW was several years old. So I went into Settings and Vaults and realized that for some reason, that vault was now a local vault and was no longer synced with Dropbox. This has randomly happened in the past and was always frustrated this kept happening.

So in order to prevent Duplicate Entries, I deleted all the entries in the local vault. Then I went back into the Settings, Vault, and then proceeded to Sync with Dropbox by locating the folder and file to sync. It asked me for the Vault password, then told me it will Merge with Existing.

At this point, everything looked great. However, after trying to find the 'Email' information I was originally looking for, it was no longer showing in the Vault!

I then went into the trash and found the 'Email' account I had seen earlier with the Old information. I went into the details of that account only to find that it was now in fact the NEW information with the new server and password. Somehow those files were deleted!

So I had to go through and restore every item in the trash just to be safe and manually had to restore each of the 88 files that were in there...

Thinking everything was now back to normal, I proceeded to use the new information, copying the password and pasting it into Mac Mail. I still kept getting wrong password information!

So finally I Revealed Password within 1PW and it once again showed the old password! I then went into Edit, then Previously Used Passwords, and realized that the newest password was still there but the oldest password had been replaced with the newest one!

I have now confirmed that 3 other accounts are doing the same thing, where the current password is actually the oldest password in the history section. The actual real password has now been moved to the 2nd oldest password! I am now going through every single password in this vault (88) to verify each password, which is so frustrating!

I checked the auto backups and the last one is showing Nov 29th, with 1025 entries, and I currently have 1049 entries (probably due to restoring everything from the trash...). Such a mess now! Please help!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TWSkip: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble you've been having with Dropbox sync! Just to clarify, all 1Password vaults sync'd with Dropbox are local vaults, as they're not part of a 1Password.com account. There isn't really anything we can do to help directly as sync (and conflict resolution) is handled by Dropbox entirely in this case — and frankly I'm not too surprised that Dropbox is having trouble sorting out conflicts given that the data you're trying to merge has diverged over a long period of time. What I can do is give you a few suggestions that you can use to get back on track:

1. DON'T delete stuff and merge stuff without backing up your data first, and having a solid plan. I'm hopeful that you haven't destroyed anything important, but that isn't clear from your comments. If you have, the only possible solution would be to try to restore files from the Dropbox website, and that can be a bit of a nightmare.
    2. Determine if you have a full set of good data anywhere. I really don't have any kind of sense of that, or how many vaults are involved here exactly, but the most important thing is that you have your data somewhere. Syncing it other places can be sorted out later.
    3. If you do have a known-good copy of your data (restored from a backup?), save backups of everything else on other devices and then reset 1Password on those.
    4. Setup each device from scratch using Dropbox to sync the known-good vault(s) everywhere needed. Then you'll have the same data everywhere, and Dropbox can incrementally sync changes between all devices.
    5. Ensure that Dropbox is setup properly going forward. This is an ongoing process: Dropbox sync will be disabled if the app is out of date, if the account or data is unavailable, and in other error states. It's necessary to keep the client up to data (and 1Password, in the case of mobile devices, since it has to update to Dropbox's latest APIs just as their own client does).

That will get you back up and running, and maintaining your sync setup going forward. However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits](https://support.1password.com/why-account/). And honestly 1Password Families has made sharing data securely with my loved ones much easier than it was when I was using Dropbox for everything too. I don't miss having to troubleshoot that stuff or configure syncing for each individual vault across many devices.

Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TWSkip
    TWSkip
    Community Member
    Options

Hi brenty,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I don’t think the bug I just experienced is related to Dropbox at all. The problem is within 1Password app. Let me try to clarify the issue.

If I click on the saved entry, for example:

Wife Email Login

It says:

username: Wife
    Password: (current)

The saved password in that field is now showing the older password from last month.

If I click on Edit, then Previously Used Passwords, it shows the following:

5 weeks ago
    (Password 1)

7 weeks ago
    (Password 2)

The problem is that all the accounts that I had restored, did not restore properly... The (current) password has been replaced by (Password 2). The real current password is actually (Password 1), does that make sense hopefully?

I have some accounts with the password change 5 times over the past few months, and the current stored password is actually the oldest (5th password) used.

When restoring from the trash, it still kept the newest password in the password history, but replaced the current one with the oldest one...

After further research, all the login entries I have restored are fine with the exception of the ones that have had passwords changed over the years. If it had a password history, the oldest has now been stored as the current.

This is not an issue with Dropbox...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TWSkip: That doesn't sound like a bug at all. You're merging long-diverged datasets. But regardless, this isn't something 1Password handles; it just gets the data from Dropbox, which is doing all of the syncing and conflict resolution. 1Password literally just reads the data from disk. Did you try my suggestion? That will get you back to a stable state, since you won't have multiple devices all trying to push different data to the Dropbox server.

• TWSkip
    TWSkip
    Community Member
    Options

Let me try and ask you this question to try and simplify all of this.

I go into my trash bin and see 1 data entry. I review the password which shows, for example, “password_correct”. That one account in the trash does not exist anywhere else in my vaults.

I decide to ‘restore’ that entry. When it goes back into the vault, should the ‘password_current’ be the correct password stored in the field?

Because that is exactly what it did not do. I specifically reviewed that one entry in the trash and saw the correct password before I restored that one back to the vault.

After I restored that entry, it put ‘password_current’ into the History section, and replaced it with ‘password_5_weeks_old’ in place of it.

I can’t see how Dropbox would do something like that. Sorry if I wasn’t clear before.

I am going to try and restore a copy from Dropbox directly assuming there was a backup made by them. Hopefully that will resolve it. Thanks for your suggestions.

• TWSkip
    TWSkip
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, one more thing to answer your question. I currently have 6 vaults synced with Dropbox across 5 MacBooks, 1 windows desktop, 5 iPads, and 5 phones. This is the first time this has happened in the 5+ years using this.

• @TWSkip: Honestly, the hurdle here is being able to reproduce this to figure out why this happened. Dropbox is responsible for the data 1Password reads (including what's in the trash), but 1Password reads and writes that data, so it's certainly possible it played a role here. That said, generally something that has happened once out of 5+ years and isn't something we can force to happen again, is symptomatic of a narrower problem rather than something systemic. For example, there may be a problem with the data written for that one item.

Before I advise giving anything a try, always remember you can create a backup on your local device and not on Dropbox any time you want. This is static (i.e. -- it's a picture of your vault as it exists when you create it) and isn't being rewritten frequently like your Dropbox data is when syncing, so it's a nice safeguard when you run into these issues. Even if where you are now is close, but not perfect, create a backup. That'll ensure you can always get back to where you started in case anything goes completely off the rails. Go ahead and create one now (just in case) and try recreating this. Go ahead an trash this item and restore it again. See what happens. If this happens again with the proper password being replaced, correct it and try duplicating the item and trashing/restoring the duplicate. Let us know if you see the same behavior or if the new item behaves properly. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TWSkip: It's definitely confusing. I understand it, but it's difficult to articulate. I think your example may help though, if I'm understanding you correctly. You're talking about a specific item in the Trash with a certain password. To you, it appears that it is not in your vault, but that's not the case: "Trash" is essentially just a flag — metadata for an item; to Dropbox and 1Password, this is just a single file on disk with data stored in it. Put a different way, regardless of whether it is Trashed, what the password is, etc., Dropbox is just syncing bits in a file, and 1Password is reading it. So if it's "Trashed" in the vault on one device and "in the vault" on another (it's technically always part of that vault, unless you move it to another vault and/or empty the Trash, but that's a bit of a digression about encryption and data formats), to Dropbox it's just the same file slightly changed, and to 1Password it's the same item just with different metadata.

I know Kate means well here, and her pedigree as a tester is unimpeachable, but I'd really suggest trying what I suggested earlier. We could potentially gain a lot scientifically from following her advice, but I suspect you just want things back to normal.

It doesn't happen often, but I have enough experience with Dropbox, both personally and helping others, to have a pretty good sense of what's going on here, and to give a rather extreme example that was so hilarious for me that I am still kicking myself for not recording a video. Essentially, when I got myself into a similar predicament in the past, I could effectively see in real time my devices and Dropbox having what I would call the technological equivalent of young siblings fighting in the back of the car over a toy: "It's my turn! Mommm!" I had desktop notifications on my Mac when the Dropbox client would sync data to the server, and the server would immediately sync its data back — just an endless cascade of "X was updated" notifications, which would probably have continued for all eternity (it went on for at least an hour before I put a stop to it), had I not disabled Dropbox sync, Trashed the vault, and just let the server sync a fresh copy of what it was intent on giving me.

Anyway, not particularly useful in the way of advice, but hopefully this example gives you a bit of insight into what we're dealing with here — and why we decided to create our own sync mechanism tailored to fit 1Password. Nothing against Dropbox. They do a phenomenal job within the constraints of filesystem-based syncing. It's amazing that it works at all, and as well as it does. As a nerd, I can appreciate and admire that. But most people don't want to nerd-out over sync technologies — or configure sync for each vault individually across multiple devices — they use want their data to be available everywhere, so we purpose-built 1Password.com to do that seamlessly. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.