New iPhone. Found my synced vault in iCloud. Says master password is wrong. Why?

Options
positivanollan
positivanollan
Community Member

Today, I wiped my old iPhone 6S clean and sold it so I instead could buy a brand new iPhone 8. I started installing apps and realized that I need to install 1password, so I can get all the passwords that I have stored there. Before I wiped my old iPhone clean, I made sure that my vault was synced to iCloud, so I would easily be able to restore it to my new phone. And yes, 1password on my new phone does recognize that I have a vault in iCloud and ask me for my master password. I enter the same master password that I have used for the last could of years, but 1password says it's the wrong password. I am very surprised. Am I going the wrong way. Should I create a new vault and then restore the old one from iCloud, or something else? I have so many passwords in my vault that I cannot lose. It would be a disaster if they were lost.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.0.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:new iphone password not working

Comments

• positivanollan
    positivanollan
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved. For some reason, when I restored the phone from my iCloud backup, my master password worked, but when I set up the phone as a new phone, it didn't. I have no idea why, but now it's working.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working. If you need anything else please let us know. :)

Ben

• xrayinsight
    xrayinsight
    Community Member
    Options

My wife also upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8 and restored from iCloud - however the master password isn't working to log her in. also tried the security key

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xrayinsight: Does your wife have a 1Password.com membership? It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• xrayinsight
    xrayinsight
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I have a family account. When I signed up several months ago I had no problem installing and logging in on multiple devices. Now I can’t log in on her new phone. Please help. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

@xrayinsight

It sounds like some of the confusion may be that with a 1Password.com membership account iCloud has no bearing. It sounds like you're trying to set up 1Password with iCloud despite having a 1Password.com account.

So the first thing I'd like to do is have you verify your wife's data actually exists in 1Password.com and not in iCloud. Please have her log in to her 1Password.com account here:

https://signin.1Password.com/

Once logged in she should see a list of vaults. Navigating through those vaults does she see all of the data she expects to have in 1Password?

If so the solution here should be fairly simply. Delete and reinstall 1Password for iOS on her device so that we're starting with a clean slate, and then from the welcome screen select the option to sign into a 1Password.com account. Have her input the same credentials she used to log in to the web interface above.

If she does not see her data when logged in to the 1Password.com web interface... please let us know, and we can troubleshoot that issue from there.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.