Do I have to install the Mac Desktop app, just to use the browser extension?

Options
rahulsawn
rahulsawn
Community Member

I want to use the 1Password browser extension because I am having trouble installing the Mac application due to internet proxy issues for apps on my work laptop.

Unfortunately I have encountered a few issues that have led me to believe that I can't use the browser extension without the native Mac desktop application being installed, too? Is this correct? Is there some way to use the browser extension even without the Mac app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser extension without app

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @rahulsawn! I don't mean to be intentionally opaque, but the answer to your question is: it depends. In most cases, yes: 1Password works as a native application on Mac with the mini app in your menubar and extensions in however many browsers you choose to use. The mini allows 1Password to use the extension to fill in data on login pages and other web forms like credit card and identity fields. If you don't have the native application in such a scenario, the extension is useless because it does not contain data itself, only acts as a conduit for the native application.

However, we've recently released 1Password X, which is a way to combine a 1Password account with just a browser extension (different from our traditional extension). For now, this is available only for Google Chrome, and since you have no local data in such a case because you have no local 1Password app, it works only with 1password.com accounts. If this sounds like it would work for you, then we invite you to visit the main 1Password sign-up page and create a free 30-day trial account. From there, you can install 1Password X and begin your 1Password experience! Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• rahulsawn
    rahulsawn
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Lars.
    You weren't opaque at all. 1Password X was exactly what I needed given my unique issue.
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. I do apologise for the delay in my own reply.

Have a good night.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need to apologize! Thanks for following up. I'm just glad that Lars was able to help out. We're really excited about 1Password X too. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions, comments, or feedback. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.