The 1Password icon mysteriously and randomly propagates in my taskbar! And then they ALL disappear.

The 1Password icon can show up as many as a dozen times in my taskbar and then, when I roll my mouse over the icons, ALL of them disappear including the original. I thought this was a Windows 10 glitch but 1Password is the only icon/program this happens with. Note: I can always use Cortana to relocate 1Password but it's a pain as are the numerous 1Password icons that fill up (and then disappear) my taskbar. Also, on an unrelated note, the title indicates 1Password Trial and "About" says the DEMO mode expired almost 4 years ago. I've long since paid for 1Password, so I'm a bit confused.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:The 1Password icon mysteriously and randomly propagates in my taskbar!

Comments

• Hi @johnsigwald,

Thanks for writing in.

thought this was a Windows 10 glitch but 1Password is the only icon/program this happens with.

It is a well known Windows issue, it just means that 1Password has crashed several times, Windows didn't clean up by removing these dead program icons.

Are you using Firefox by any chance?

Also, on an unrelated note, the title indicates 1Password Trial and "About" says the DEMO mode expired almost 4 years ago. I've long since paid for 1Password, so I'm a bit confused.

You have to enter your license key manually in 1Password programs. For 1Password 4 on Windows, you can enter the license via the Help Menu > Enter License Key (starts with 1PWW- or 1PWB-).

• johnsigwald
    johnsigwald
    Community Member

Thanks, Mike! Yes, I use Firefox. Is that what's causing all the 1Password crashes? And, thanks, too, about the password info. I entered the password from my Mac and the "trial" notation went away. A few months ago my Windows computer crashed and I guess when I reloaded 1Password it set to default (trial) unbeknownst to me since it still worked!

• MikeT
    edited November 2017

Hi @johnsigwald,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, I use Firefox. Is that what's causing all the 1Password crashes?

We're tracking down a bug with Firefox where if you use Firefox to open 1Password when it was not running at a time, closing Firefox would in fact cause 1Password to exit abnormally as well. This is a new bug but we're not entirely sure it is within 1Password or Firefox. It affects both 1Password 4 and 6 as well.

For now, make sure 1Password is running before Firefox and it should work okay. You may have 1Password disabled from running upon reboots. You can check your Task Manager's startup tab to confirm.

If you have a software license named 1Password with the license key stored in your 1Password vault, then macOS version can actually register it for you. The Windows app doesn't do this but we'd like to add this in a future version of 1Password. By default, all 1Password apps are not registered, you have to register it manually.

• johnsigwald
    johnsigwald
    Community Member

Well, 1Password is/has been enabled at startup so it should always be running before I use Firefox. One thing that drives me crazy is that when I pass the mouse arrow over the multiple 1Password icons in the tray ALL of the 1Password icons disappear so I have to open 1Password either through a Cortana search or through Firefox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, I'm not crazy about that either, but that's just the way Windows works: it doesn't remove the notification icons until they are moused over. Nothing we can do about that, but hopefully we can find a solution with Firefox that makes this less of an issue.

• NelsonMinar
    NelsonMinar
    Community Member

One workaround is to launch 1Password first, before launching Firefox. That seems to not trigger the bug. I had this bug for awhile in Firefox and then it went away, even when Firefox is the one launching 1Password it seems stable now.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @NelsonMinar,

You are right, that is a correct workaround, but John says that 1Password launches before Firefox for him. We are tracking this issue at the moment and I hope that we will find a way to fix it. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

I've also noticed re: the Firefox Quantum crashing bug that if you launch Firefox before 1Password has finished loading at login, then this will trigger the crashing bug next time you exit Firefox.

I suppose this makes sense, but sometimes impatience gets the better of me (especially nowadays, with Windows loading almost instantly on SSDs), and I've found the best thing I can do to avoid this issue, is to let all my login programs finish loading before I open Firefox :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah yep, I'm the same way. I used to end up getting stuck in some weird situations when I was a bit too eager to get something done upon booting into Windows. Let's grab a sandwich or something while we wait, and we'll continue to investigate this with Mozilla. :)

This discussion has been closed.