problem with log in when multiple member accounts in same vault

Options
lasllcap
lasllcap
Community Member

My wife and I are both Admin. I have a 1PW-fam log in in My (primary) vault for each of us; as does my wife's vault. We each have, obviously, separate and different log in data ( user name, password, key) ;

This situation occurs when working from the same machine

1. If I log into our 1PW-Fam account to manage any of our vaults using my log in data; then log out and then log in again To open my wife's 1PW-Fam account I am presented with a failed log in because : the FIRST used Account Username and key (doesn't matter which of the two) is used with the password for the selected User-Name account; EX:

User-Roger logs in to open His 1PW-Fam account and logs out; Later User-Debi logs in to open Her 1PW-Fam account, but fails because User-Roger and User-Roger Key are presented with User-Debi password.
The only way to resolve this is to select the "Log in with Another Account Login" at the bottom of the page by copy and paste.

1. Same thing happens on my wife's Win10 machine, But we can both be logged in to 1PW-Fam on our separate machines at the same time, which makes sense , but we cant switch machines and then log into our own user account without "Log in with Another Account Login".
    I know, big deal but it seems odd.

2. Basically, which ever 1PW-Fam account is opened first, locks out the the other 1PW-Fam accounts by presenting the first used 1PW-Fam User and key BUT with the PW for the selected account (the second UserName).

Roger

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lasllcap: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Modern OSes are designed to be multi-user, using separate accounts. Because of this, most apps, like 1Password, maintain user state within a single account and are not meant to be multi-user in and of themselves within a single OS user account. It sounds like sort of a matryoshka doll thing you're trying to do, with many user states within a single user account on the computer.

Because multi-user support is built into the OS, we don't have plans to re-implement our own multi-user support in 1Password itself, as that adds not only a lot more work, but also greater opportunity for bugs or security issues. For example, within an OS user account, everything is "owned" by that user, and accessible to anyone signed in. There's just no isolation there.

Now, you may be able to trust others you're sharing a user account with, but there's nothing stopping them from accidentally installing something malicious, which would affect all of you without prejudice. So we (and the OS vendors, as well as other security professionals) do recommend taking advantage of the OS multi-user support. If nothing else, everyone gets a convenient setup with their own browser, desktop, and app setup.

However, if you are determined to share a user account, you can always just use different browsers to access the 1Password.com web interface, or even use Chrome with multiple profiles with the new 1Password X, which runs entirely in the browser:

Get to know 1Password X

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• lasllcap
    lasllcap
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty -
    Thanks; Your explanation completely make sense and now I understand what is happening.
    I only stumbled into this as I was setting up my wife’s vaults and working primarily from my machine, and thought it was sort of weird.
    Keep up the good work,
    Cheers,
    Roger

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to be of help. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any questions at all. Have great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.