How do I generate passwords with 1Password X?

2»

Comments

• mcluff
    mcluff
    Community Member

Glad to hear y'all are working on that. It's the biggest dent in my workflow with 1Password X. (Especially when the suggested password doesn't meet the site's requirements.)

• @mcluff: Password requirements are a frustration all their own, but until we're able to take over the world and force rational requirement choices, we're glad to work to make complying with them a bit easier. :wink:

• mcluff
    mcluff
    Community Member

Haha! I'd be happy if there was a single requirement universal: telling the user what the pw requirements are BEFORE they try to come up with one. There are reserved seats in Hades for web designers that expect users to read minds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I've merged the comments here into an existing discussion on this topic so we're not all trying to have the same conversation in multiple places. :)

Haha! I'd be happy if there was a single requirement universal: telling the user what the pw requirements are BEFORE they try to come up with one. There are reserved seats in Hades for web designers that expect users to read minds.

@mcluff: I couldn't agree with you more. :lol: And when it comes to setting up accounts for websites, there's nothing worse than finding out after you've already completed account setup that your password is "invalid" and you're already locked out. :unamused:

• Taz77
    Taz77
    Community Member

Password generator used to be accessible from the plugin by clicking on it. Now it does not exist.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Taz77: Thanks for getting in touch! Sorry for the confusion there. It sounds like you're referring to the extension that works with the native 1Password desktop apps. You can find those here:

https://1password.com/downloads/
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

1Password X is a different beast: it lives exclusively in Chrome. It doesn't not have a separate password generator yet, but it's something we'd like to add in the future. In the mean time, 1Password X has a "suggested password" feature you can use to create passwords for new logins, or you can use the password generator in the 1Password.com web interface.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Taz77
    Taz77
    Community Member

@brenty Yeah, I miss the separate password generator in the Chrome where you could click the icon and access a password generator.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Taz77: Sure thing! As I mentioned above, that's still an option with 1Password for Mac or Windows. 1Password X is a great option in cases where we can't or don't want to install software on the computer though, and we'll continue to make this new extension even more powerful. Cheers! :)

• neal007
    neal007
    Community Member

One thing I'd like to see in the 1P X Chrome Extension is the password generator feature. I'm on a site creating a new login or revising a password and I need the utility to help me generate a password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@neal007: Thanks for getting in touch! I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this topic. It's something we'd like to add to a future version of 1Password X too! In the mean time, you can use a suggested password from 1Password X right in the login form, or generate one yourself in the 1Password.com web interface. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• FzGRYXMAmkZk
    FzGRYXMAmkZk
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

I really dislike this design change and the push to using inline forms as opposed to an extension popup. This design difference was (one of) the big reasons why I prefer 1pass over competitors like lastpass, etc. I have tried in vain to disable it (it seemed like an option, but if it is, it's not being respected).

It interferes with the design of the websites i'm on, looks and behaves clunkily, and is generally just a worse user experience. Not to mention it doesn't work on all sites, where as the popup password generator always worked.

If the plan is long-term to have it available in the popup too - then imo you should not have launched the new version until that was available.

Edit: I just tried to use the password generator in the way it was suggested, via the inline popup. Doesn't give me any of the options, just generates a password in the format 1pass defaults to (which I don't like). Great! Is there any way to get the old version back or am I just stuck with this until the next update?

I just don't get the motivation to push out these constant design changes. Are there 1pass users waiting with bated breath for the next design update? I've been happy with 1pass as it's been more or less since the beginning (other than the push towards using the cloud instead of wifi sync, that was frustrating) and the constant design updates haven't added anything to my experience experience periodic frustration tbh.

ALSO, while i'm on this thread, I might as well complain some more. Why is the password generator ONLY available via browser extensions? Why isn't it surfaced in the desktop or mobile app? There are plenty of times I've wanted to generate a password (or username! or something else!) this way only to be annoyed and have to open a browser and do it that way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FzGRYXMAmkZk: Thanks for getting in touch! Your comments here don't make sense to me though:

I really dislike this design change and the push to using inline forms as opposed to an extension popup. This design difference was (one of) the big reasons why I prefer 1pass over competitors like lastpass, etc. I have tried in vain to disable it (it seemed like an option, but if it is, it's not being respected).

We didn't change this. 1Password X has always had the option of filling from its inline icon in the web form. But it also supports filling from its toolbar button. And the inline features can be disabled in Settings:

It interferes with the design of the websites i'm on, looks and behaves clunkily, and is generally just a worse user experience. Not to mention it doesn't work on all sites, where as the popup password generator always worked.

If you would like help with that, please let us know the specifics: URL, OS version, 1Password version, browser version, and extension version, and what exactly is happening, so we can investigate.

If the plan is long-term to have it available in the popup too - then imo you should not have launched the new version until that was available.

It's always been available in the "popup". You can find it by clicking the "( + )" icon, along with any other new things you want to create:

Edit: I just tried to use the password generator in the way it was suggested, via the inline popup. Doesn't give me any of the options, just generates a password in the format 1pass defaults to (which I don't like). Great! Is there any way to get the old version back or am I just stuck with this until the next update?

You can change any of these settings when using the password generator, as shown here:

I just don't get the motivation to push out these constant design changes. Are there 1pass users waiting with bated breath for the next design update? I've been happy with 1pass as it's been more or less since the beginning (other than the push towards using the cloud instead of wifi sync, that was frustrating) and the constant design updates haven't added anything to my experience experience periodic frustration tbh.

I'm sorry that you don't feel the changes we've been making haven't benefited you in particular, but they've been made in response to feedback from all 1Password users. If you have specific requests, we'll be happy to consider them along with what we get from everyone else.

ALSO, while i'm on this thread, I might as well complain some more. Why is the password generator ONLY available via browser extensions? Why isn't it surfaced in the desktop or mobile app? There are plenty of times I've wanted to generate a password (or username! or something else!) this way only to be annoyed and have to open a browser and do it that way.

The password generator is available in the native apps too, in the password field in Login items. If you tell me the version you're using I can go into more specifics.

But since most people are using 1Password for login credentials in the web browser, we do try to make it more prominent there -- especially since saving a Login in the browser allows 1Password to get information about the actual web page where you intend to use it, which helps it fill better.

This discussion has been closed.