Edit preferences (show in browser) and Credit card field

Hi,

I have 2 questions/issues regarding the 1Password X extension:

• how can I edit the "show in browser" settings if I'm not using the desktop app but solely relying on the web browser extension?
I tried using the 1password.com interface, but strangely, it seems to lack the advanced features of the desktop app for editing preferences...

• I have 2 credit cards stored into my account which the extension always presents as "suggested elements" whenever I bring up the pop and there are no other login credentials available; Is there a way to force 1password to suggest credit cards only when there's a credit card field?

I hope it's clear enough because my system is in french, so I'm not sure I used the same terms as those in the english version.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Hey @wcsaian,

Welcome to our support forum! <3

how can I edit the "show in browser" settings if I'm not using the desktop app but solely relying on the web browser extension?

Great questions, in fact, I think you're the first person I've seen looking for the "show in browser" setting we have with the 1Password native apps. This is a great feature, but unfortunately, it has yet to make it's way to 1Password X. 1Password X is a way for us to redesign using 1Password in your browser, which may or may not be the right fit for everyone just yet.

I have 2 credit cards stored into my account which the extension always presents as "suggested elements" whenever I bring up the pop and there are no other login credentials available; Is there a way to force 1password to suggest credit cards only when there's a credit card field?

Smart thinking! Suggesting items based on the fields available on a page is something we've discussed, and we'd love to add in the future. In the meantime, I think we have a decent order for the items we show. Credit Card items shouldn't get in the way of Login items (if you have any for the site you're on).

In my biased opinion, we've made 1Password X extremely functional when using a keyboard. It takes a bit to get used to, but I got into the habit of activating 1Password (Super+Shift+X) and typing to filter down to the item I need instantly. It's slightly addicting to see how fast I can filter thousands of items down to just the Login or Credit Card I need. :tongue:

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• wcsaian
    wcsaian
    Community Member

Hi @beyer,

Thanks for such a quick reply :)

Unfortunately I was away for a couple of days so I can only answer today.

So for my first issue:

As I understand it, there are 3 ways to access 1password informations.

1 - through the 1password.com interface
    2 - through the desktop apps
    3 - through the "X" extension (which points back to the 1password.com interface for editing entries)

The aim of the X extension if to replace the desktop apps for people who don't need the "full" experience.

But say that I want to keep some items from showing up in the browser extension (the X one) , I need to also install the desktop app and untick the box "show in browser" , and only then the "X" extension will behave the way I want it right?

There's no way to manage this setting from the 1password.com interface, where I can manage my whole account?

Sorry for being redundant, but it seems to me that in order to have an account the 1password.com step is obviously mandatory, and the desktop app as well, because there are settings available only through the web interface, and some settings available only in the desktop app...

As for the second issue:

I also like to use the arrows, but it just seems odd to have credit card entries show up when there's not even a credit card field available on the page. For instance, on every page that has a login form, once the "X" extension in brought up, if there's no login stored for that page, it obvioulsy doesn't show any entry, but it still shows my credit cards... It's not that they "get in the way" it's more like they're not supposed to be there at all :) . I just wanted to know if there's something that can be done about this on my side, since for me it doesn't make sense. If I visit the facebook page but I don't have a facebook account , the extension won't show my google, or twitter logins, but it will still show my credit cards...

Again, thanks for you reply ;)

• Thanks for following up on this, @wcsaian.

I would say the aim of 1Password X is a bit different than replacing the desktop apps. We tried our best to articulate it in our announcement post but I agree that it's a complicated message that takes time to explain :)

1Password X is our chance to experiment with a new approach of how 1Password works. It unlocks new possibilities such as Chrome OS and Linux support, simpler deployment for teams, and gives us a chance to reimagine how 1Password works in the browser. We needed to start from scratch so as you can imagine we have not been able to implement everything from all the clients. Some features are just not possible in a standalone extension (for example, Touch ID) while others we just haven't had time to implement yet.

The display property falls under the latter: at the moment 1Password X simply has no knowledge of the display property whatsoever. Even if you set that property using one of the 1Password apps, 1Password X will not respect it. It's honestly a feature I used to think was quite cool but I personally don't use it at all anymore so I forgot about it.

I'm not ruling out adding this feature in the future, but I will say it's not high on our priority list at the moment. If this functionality is critical to your workflow, one idea is to create a special vault for these items and exclude that vault from appearing in your item list.

One of the most common use cases for this feature I've seen is to be able to hide old logins that are no longer needed, but for whatever reason shouldn't be deleted. Let's assume for a second this is what you need as well and walk through how this could be achieved using vaults instead. In this case you could create a vault called Archive and move all these items there. Once moved, you could prevent the contents of this vault from appearing by opening the popup, clicking the 1Password icon in the top left corner to bring up the vault list, and then click the settings gear icon to configure which vaults are included when viewing All Vaults. From there you could disable the switch beside the Archive vault and click Done to save the change. From now on when you see a list of items in the popup or within a web page you won't see items from your Archive vault.

Here's a screenshot of how this could look:

Regarding your second point about Credit Cards always appearing, I agree with you that it would be nice to only show them when a credit card form actually exists on the page. This would be a nice feature but it brings with it the issue of false negatives: on some sites that actually have a credit card form we might accidentally think they don't. The other issue is that we'd like to show Identities there as well so you can fill addresses and email addresses, and those are prevalent enough that they would pretty much always need to appear.

So what we decided to do was to have the popup always show all Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities that could be filled on the current page. The inline menu that appears directly within web pages, however, only shows what we know for certain can be filled. For the moment we only show Logins and in time we'll show Credit Cards and Identities as well if we have a high confidence that the user might want to use them on the current form field.

Now to your specific point about being on Facebook (without any saved Facebook logins) and wanting to go to Google or Twitter, it is a very common use case and something I do every day. I'd love to talk through our thought process of why we did things the current way.

When the popup first opens we show the Suggested Items for the current domain. We like to follow the rule of least surprise so we try to always show the Suggested Items whenever it might be useable.

Let's say for a moment that we decided not to show the Suggested Items and hide the section entirely when we felt it wasn't needed. In addition to possibly getting this wrong and surprising users (in a bad way), the resulting user experience is not that great. If we did this we'd show the next section in the list, namely Favorites. But what would you do if Google or Twitter was not in your favourite list? You'd need to manually click the Logins, scan the list of logins (including scrolling if you have more than 7 logins), and click on the one you want.

Most users have more than 7 items so this would be quite a long process so we decided to rely upon search instead. Simply start typing the name of the site you want to visit and 1Password will enter search mode and show you all the matches. You can then just hit Enter on the one you want and 1Password will do the rest. And as @beyer mentioned this approach scales perfectly from a hand full to thousands of saved items, be they Logins, Credit Cards, or anything else.

I'm sorry for making you read a full essay here but we spend a great deal of time thinking through usability here so I had a lot to share! :)

I hope that helps explain things and where we're coming from. Please let me know.

• wcsaian
    wcsaian
    Community Member

Hi @dteare,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all of this, I really appreciate it; it's not everyday that "support" goes to so much trouble just for one guy's issues :)

At least now it's all clear about the "why" and "how" :)

Again, thanks a lot, for you explanation and for your great product! Keep it up!

• Thanks for the love @wcsaian! Any time I reply to comments like this I feel like I'm stealing someone else's candy, so I made sure to share your kind words with @dteare. Support is something every one of us does here at AgileBits. None of us would get to write a single line of code (and, thankfully, no one lets me write any at all) were it not for your support, so we've always believed support, whether your issue is large or small, should be the highest priority for all of us. Were it not for you, we wouldn't be able to spend our days building cool new things like 1Password X, so thanks for your support and if you ever have other questions, you know where to find us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.