Any Plans for Updated Tutorial Videos?

Options
mhosborn
mhosborn
Community Member

I have been a long time 1PW user, and recently changed to a family subscription, and am wondering if the 1PW team has looked closely at the "getting started" videos lately?

I, for one, have found the process of installing 1PW on an additional device a bit confusing. For example, the tutorial video that shows how easy it is to scan the code to automatically enter all of the information (less the master password) "glosses" over some basic steps that would help us. We can see the QR being scanned in the video, but the video fails to mention where this QR code is displayed. If you're installing it on an iOS device, obviously you aren't seeing a QR code at the point where you could scan it....the video fails to mention where you need to go in order to find the code.

It's simple things like the above that I think might best be discovered by the dev team by watching someone who's not a "tech savant" and has never used 1PW install it. I'd be surprised if this person wasn't a bit confused by exactly how to do it.!

(And the above is definitely not a rant. Just trying to make a great app even greater).

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: 1PW

Comments

• @mhosborn: There are a number of setup videos out there and, because the internet is forever, I always have to ask -- where are you watching this particular video? We do try to update ours, but it can be a struggle given how quickly some things can change from version to version. Beyond the video walking you through migrating to a new account (which does discuss signing in via 1Password.com to obtain the QR code), I don't see any that go through this process right away. Could you share a link, perhaps? Thanks! :chuffed:

• mhosborn
    mhosborn
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a link to the video I was thinking of:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6IyroEMG-o

The video shows a QR code being scanned, but it happens so quickly it's impossible to replicate the steps involved. In fact, it might not be scanned at all...it could be the QR code is being copied, then pasted...impossible to tell for sure.

The above is just an example, of course...there were other possible points of confusion I noticed in other videos.

Maybe I'm concerned for no reason, but I'm thinking that other family members, when they receive the invitation from my family membership, won't have a clue what they need to do in order to install on their computer and iOS devices.

Thank you for reading, folks!

• @mhosborn: Ah-hah! Thanks for sharing! I see what you're referencing, and will have to blame my dodgy YouTube navigation for not finding that one right away. Sorry! I actually do think more detail might be helpful there depending on your "techy level." There's always a balance to be struck between "short and sweet" and "in-depth," so I imagine we'll miss the mark there for some either way, but we're always open to considering scooting one way or the other. I think in this case I can maybe set your mind at ease a bit. :+1:

You can see at the beginning there that the QR code is on that Get the Apps page. This should be even clearer when doing this yourself as right next to the code it says Scan this code to sign in. Plus, when you click Scan your Setup Code in the Mac app, the window used to scan it shows you instructions as well ("Drag this window over your Setup Code ..."). I've found most of our videos focus on giving a visual reference for existing written instructions. Sometimes, those instructions are on our support site (the guide for migrating to a 1Password.com account is a great example) and I personally find they work best when used together.

Still, nothing helps us improve more than learning how these tools work for actual customers using them out in the real world. Since you're worried about your family members setting up know, do let them know we're always here to help when they need it. Plus, if they have any feedback about what did and didn't work for them in the videos once they've gone through the process, we'd absolutely love to hear from them. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.