I purchased 1Password 3 for Mac in 2013....

fit4life
fit4life
Community Member
edited December 2017 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Due to a recent HD crash, I now am using a MacBook Pro running High Sierra. I still have my license info, but can I download and run 1Password 3?

1Password Version: 3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2 High Sierra
_Sync Type:
Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I purchased 1Password 3 for Mac in 2013

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@fit4life: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear about the hard drive crash. I've had my fair share of those, and can't say I'm a fan... :(

You can sort of technically use 1Password 3 on High Sierra...but it was discontinued years ago and I wouldn't recommend it. There are a number of issues there since it was developed for OS X releases from long ago in what feels like a galaxy far, far away...

1Password 3 legacy support information

1Password 6, on the other hand, supports High Sierra (and modern web browsers), but that is not included in a 1Password 3 license. So while you're entitled to continue using the version you paid for, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits...and for our purposes here, I think it's worth mentioning that this includes all of the latest versions and automatic offsite backup, so if you have technical issues down the road, you'll always be able to login with your account credentials to access your data and get the apps again.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• fit4life
    fit4life
    Community Member

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Sounds like I don't want to mess with my old version of 1Password. A friend has just installed Dashlane for password management and is happy with it. Does 1Password 6 have advantages over Dashlane?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@fit4life: On the contrary, you've already "messed with" it by upgrading to High Sierra! 1Password 3 just wasn't designed to work with that, or modern browsers, which did not exist back in 2009. ;)

Now, I can't really speak for any other product or service, only 1Password, since that's my area of expertise. But these are some of the reasons we hear from customers for why they chose 1Password — and this has been my experience as well, which is why I ended up here in the first place. :)

• 1Password comes with responsive support. I think this is one of the most important aspects of 1Password. Time is money, after all. Whether there is a problem or if you just have a quick question, we're here for you. And we always love customer feedback.
    • 1Password is the only password manager that has ever won a design award. As Steve Jobs once said, “People think it's this veneer — that the designers are handed this box and told, ‘Make it look good!’ That's not what we think design is. It's not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” 1Password is an Ars Design Award winner. This comes back to the notion that time is money. If everyone in your family can (1) start using 1Password quickly and (2) easily understand new features when they are rolled out, then you save money on time that would otherwise be lost trying to figure something out or fight with a new version. If price is the only consideration, there are plenty of free tools available, but your time is more valuable than that. And of course we're always here to help!
    • 1Password is encryption-based rather than authentication-based. Our security architecture means that a family organizer can recover accounts for other family members. We at AgileBits can never do that. We simply cannot perform a traditional "password reset" for you. With traditional password reset mechanisms, your secrets are only as secure as all your family members' email accounts. With 1Password, account recovery can only be initiated by a family organizer. You can learn more in our knowledgebase.
    • AgileBits never has access to your data. Your data is encrypted on your device, and your secrets are never transmitted to us — they are only known by you, so no one else has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper.
    • 1Password is funded by you not advertisers or investors. Last but definitely not least, we have sustainable prices, so we can serve you for years to come without exploiting you or your data. It’s possible for a company to cut corners on pricing, but then they might need investors’ money, a buyer with deeper pockets, or — worst of all — advertising money at the expense of your privacy. We have gone out of our way to build 1Password so that we have no information about your data or about how you use 1Password. It is not merely that we choose not to collect or use data about you; we have designed our systems so that, for the most part, we don’t even have the capability to collect data about you or how you use 1Password. Learn more about 1Password privacy.

That's 1Password in a nutshell. Happy to answer any other questions you have as well. Cheers! :chuffed:

• fit4life
    fit4life
    Community Member

That helps me understand your product much better. Thank you for your time and attention!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your support! We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. Have a great day, and we're here for you if you need us! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.