Questions and Concerns about 1Password

Hi. I am thinking about buying 1Password to use on my Mac and iOS device. I have a few questions and concerns maybe someone could help me clear up. 

I looked on your website but I don’t see a plan or a way to purchase 1P for the local vault only. I hate the idea of the cloud and would only want everything stored on my devices locally and not on any additional servers/dropbox/etc. So how would I go about buying? Would I need to pay the $2.99 (monthly) and turn off or not enable the cloud? Or?

I also saw that I can do the 1 time payment fee for Mac and iOS, how does that differ from the subscription per month option?

Also another thing I would like to know is, does the iOS app have the ability to store locally and not on the cloud? 
And can the master password or passwords stored on the app be extracted through data extraction/recovery (software ran to extract data from the app/device) ?

Thank you for your time. 

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• UPDATE: I have done more research and it seems I am looking for the standalone single license version for Mac.
    I have a question about that though, with the Mac single license how to I get my passwords/what I store over to the iOS app? Will I have a account with the Mac version and just login to the iOS app or how would it work? And is their a single standalone license for iOS (as I am not wanting a subscription?)

Thanks.

• I have done research and it seems I am looking for the standalone single license version for Mac.
    I have a question about that though, with the Mac single license how to I get my passwords/what I store over to the iOS app? Will I have a account with the Mac version and just login to the iOS app or how would it work? And is their a single standalone license for iOS (as I am not wanting a subscription?)

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member
    edited December 2017

Hey @jimmybelfort20, and welcome to the forum!

with the Mac single license how to I get my passwords/what I store over to the iOS app?

You will need to sync your passwords and if you don't want to sync using any cloud service, you'll need to use WLAN sync. Keep in mind that WLAN is only designed to support syncing between one computer and one mobile device, so if you want to add additional devices in the future, it won't be a great option. I know cloud syncing in general can be a bit unnerving, but your data is encrypted end-to-end when syncing and further protected by your Secret Key if you choose a 1Password membership. How you store and sync your data is up-to-you, of course, but I'd encourage you to take some time to explore how 1Password protects your data when you sync online. You may find it's not quite as scary as it may seem at first glance. :chuffed:

And is their a single standalone license for iOS?

The iOS app is "freemium" when used with a standalone vault, so you can use all of the basic features for free with the option to purchase the Pro features via in-app purchase, if you'd like. The Pro features are included with a 1Password membership.

Choosing a password manager is extremely important and we're totally stoked to hear you're considering 1Password to keep your data safe. If you have any other questions as you're making your decision, we're always here to help. :+1:

• Thanks. If I was going to buy the individual license for Mac and then sync using wlan to my iOS device, what can I do if in two months I upgrade phones? Can I do the wlan sync again? Or how would that work?

Also can I do wlan sync from my iOS device to my computer or is it only computer to iOS?

Is it possible to not use the 1P web extension and just copy and paste the passwords myself?

I am not wanting to use web extensions so that is why I am asking.

Finally, double confirming, with the standalone Mac license I can store everything on a vault locally on my computer (Mac) correct? And on iOS I can have my vault stored locally (on device) too?

Cheers!

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks. If I was going to buy the individual license for Mac and then sync using wlan to my iOS device, what can I do if in two months I upgrade phones? Can I do the wlan sync again? Or how would that work?

@jimmybelfort20: You'll need to configure sync again with the new device.

Also can I do wlan sync from my iOS device to my computer or is it only computer to iOS?

It's bidirectional, but the computer acts as the server. So whatever you do, do not try to sync the same mobile device with multiple computers.

Is it possible to not use the 1P web extension and just copy and paste the passwords myself?

Yes, but that's less secure that using the extension. I know that's counterintuitive, but when you're putting sensitive information on the clipboard any app on the system can access it.

I am not wanting to use web extensions so that is why I am asking.

You certainly don't have to, but keep in mind that it allows 1Password to fill directly into a webpage, bypassing the clipboard completely. And your data is not stored in the extension; it's sent there by the app on demand when you access a login in your browser. So it's not only more convenient, it's also more secure.

Finally, double confirming, with the standalone Mac license I can store everything on a vault locally on my computer (Mac) correct? And on iOS I can have my vault stored locally (on device) too? Cheers!

Yep! Each standalone app is a separate purchase, but both support local vaults.

But again, as Kate mentioned, with local vaults, you're not only giving up the convenience of accessing your data across all of your devices without configuring sync on each of them, you also don't have the additional security of the 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key, which is also used to encrypt the data in a 1Password.com account along with the Master Password. Definitely check out our security white paper if you're curious about how it all works.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

On behalf of brenty and bundtkate you’re welcome! If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file