How to re-install 1Password for iOS 6 via App Store

Options
aklar
aklar
Community Member

Hello 1Password community!

I had to reset my fine iPhone 3GS. Now I have to re-install my apps, but unfortunately the App Store doesn't offer me the version of 1Password that is compatible with iOS 6. I found out that version 4.3.2 is the one I am looking for, but my Time Machine backups only saved the ipa-Files of version 3.7.2 (which is the predecessor that doesn't sync) and 4.5.3 (which is not compatible). Can you tell me, where I might be able to download the file "1Password 4.3.2.ipa"?

Thank you very much and best regards
Alexander

1Password Version: 4.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 6.1.6
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• @aklar,

The only possible option would be your Purchase history in the App Store app on your phone. If you had previously purchased it should offer to let you install the last available compatible version for your particular OS.

Rudy

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy !

Thank you for your fast response. Unfortunately the App Store's Purchase History is broken on iOS 6. It shows an empty page. But usually you can choose to download a purchased app and the App Store prompts you that an older version can be installed. Not so in this case: it only says that the current version of 1Password is not compatible with my iPhone – in the past there had been several versions of 1Password to choose from. I guess, you have streamlined this to not confuse your customers, but now version 4 (and 3 for that matter) are not available via the App Store anymore. I found a way to install the ipa-file manually, which worked for version 3, but that doesn't help me since this version's sync feature is out of order... is there maybe a way you can offer past versions of your apps for manual download as you do with your desktop app? That would be great!

Thank you and greetings from Germany
    Alexander

• Ben
    Options

Alexander,

Unfortunately I’m not sure there is anything we can do differently here. We’re not able to distribute iOS apps outside of the App Store, and as far as I’m aware we’re not doing anything to restrict older versions from being downloaded on devices that aren’t capable of running the latest. In fact we’ve had a number of customers that have been successful in downloading older versions using the method Rudy mentioned. If iOS 6 doesn’t let you do that, and that is the latest version your device can run... the only thing I could suggest is that perhaps it is time for a new device. iOS 6 was last updated in 2014. Apple doesn’t support it anymore, and isn’t issuing security fixes for it even for critical bugs.

Ben

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

thank you for your insights. I think the last time I had re-installed my apps on my good old iPhone was about a year ago. Back then I had the option to install the correct version. It works like this: you choose the app you want to install, the App Store prompts you that the current version is not compatible and asks you whether you want to install the last compatible version. This doesn't happen anymore. I guess it has to do with some change in the app's references to older version. I remember there being several iterations of 1Password apps on the App Store in the past. Of course that might have looked confusing for new customers, but maybe along the way of making these different options into only one this option of choosing an older version must have been lost.

About your idea of getting a new device: of course you're right about the security issues, but I love this old iPhone 3GS. I think it was the last well-designer iPhone in terms of form factor. And part of me does not like to give up on well working hardware just because of newer (but not critically better) software. But, again: security might be a good argument to think about, so thank you for that hint!

I understand that Apple does not allow you to distribute your software via different channels than the App Store. And if there is no way for you to re-upload the older versions into the App Store either, I will have to find a different way to get that ipa file. Or I will have to change services, which I don't want to since I really like 1Password for its reliabilty over many years.

Thank you again, for taking your time to get back to me and have a nice weekend
    Alexander

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aklar: Hmm. You may be right. Apple has made changes to the App Store in recent years, and while those have been a huge improvement on newer devices and iOS versions (I couldn't view my purchase history for years), it's possible that has had undesirable effects on older ones. I can't imagine they test that. :(

Back to old versions, even if we had them on hand (I don't know that we do), each app is signed and associated with an Apple ID, so one I gave you wouldn't work for you anyway. Like Ben, I would expect you to be able to get it from the App Store too, but I've only heard of people on iOS 7 or higher (primarily 9 and 10) having success doing that recently, so it may be that just won't work going forward. :blush:

I have to agree with Ben: since we're talking about software we're using for security, it's hard not to caution against using an outdated OS. I really love the 3GS form factor too, and haven't been able to part with mine for that reason, though I haven't used it for years. I was delighted by the iPhone 6 when it came out since it reminded me a little of that, and my current jet black iPhone 7 Plus is, I think, the platonic ideal of that. However, while there are other things that give me pause about the iPhone X, I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of that upon checking it out in the Apple Store last week. I think I'll hold out for next year's model, but I'm no longer dreading that now. If there isn't one that's a good fit for you now, I think you might find what you're looking for in the future. :)

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty !

Thank you for your kind and thorough reply! While I was coming back to it I remembered, that I had another iPhone 3GS on my shelf that I had used in the past. From that device I could extract the ipa file and install it on my current phone. After the installation it automatically found the already stored app data and wifi syncing worked fine, too! Great!

I see that there is not much you can do if the changes in the App Store have broken the option to download an older version. It seems to have happened to other apps, too. Others do still work, though. So it's a bit of a mystery. :neutral:

I also see, what you're saying about an app used for greater security on a not-so-secure device... it's a bit of a contradiction You're right. I will consider upgrading, although I seem to have postponed that decision for now. :smile: Next to thoughts about security I have parked thoughts about privacy. I am not sure whether the newer devices hold up to what I understand of that. I do not like my finger print – or my other biometric information – stored on it or even shared with the cloud. But it's probably naive to think that the older devices are less of a snitch.

Thank you again to you and your colleagues for trying to help me out in a very personal manner!

Kind regards
    Alexander

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your kind and thorough reply! While I was coming back to it I remembered, that I had another iPhone 3GS on my shelf that I had used in the past. From that device I could extract the ipa file and install it on my current phone. After the installation it automatically found the already stored app data and wifi syncing worked fine, too! Great!

@aklar: You're welcome! I'm glad that worked. A bit of a stroke of luck, but I guess sometimes it pays off to keep the old stuff around longer than seems reasonable to most people. I'll remember that next time my family suggests I get rid of something! :lol:

I see that there is not much you can do if the changes in the App Store have broken the option to download an older version. It seems to have happened to other apps, too. Others do still work, though. So it's a bit of a mystery. :neutral:

Yeah, I really do think Apple just doesn't test service changes against old hardware and software. That's understandable, but unfortunate when it has unforeseen consequences for some. :blush:

I also see, what you're saying about an app used for greater security on a not-so-secure device... it's a bit of a contradiction You're right. I will consider upgrading, although I seem to have postponed that decision for now. :smile:

Hey, while I will always advocate for staying up to date, nothing wrong with considering your options first. Glad this gives you a bit of breathing room. :)

Next to thoughts about security I have parked thoughts about privacy. I am not sure whether the newer devices hold up to what I understand of that. I do not like my finger print – or my other biometric information – stored on it or even shared with the cloud. But it's probably naive to think that the older devices are less of a snitch.

The cool thing about Apple is that not only do they continually add privacy features and plug up holes (apps come up with sneaky new ways to track us all the time, but these can be fixed, and are), but things like Touch ID and Face ID, while their security is more than sufficient for almost everyone (I'm not a state official, after all), they are opt-in. So even with a newer device you can use a strong passcode (and you still get hardware accelerated full-device encryption!) instead. :sunglasses:

Thank you again to you and your colleagues for trying to help me out in a very personal manner!

Happy to be able to help in some small way. And likewise, thanks for your support over the years! We love what we do, and after all, we're only able to because of you and the rest of our awesome customers. We're here if you need us! :chuffed:

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty !

Thanks again for your comments and your kind attitude! And thanks for your information about Face and Touch ID as well as the full-device encryption. All of which I didn't know yet. Thank you! And away from my original issue (but familiar to the phenomenon itself): also a big thank you to your developers for keeping compatibiltiy (in this case for being able to wifi sync my old phone) as far as they are able to. I think in this world of accelerating technological development that has huge value.

Have a fine end of the year – best regards,
    Alexander

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of brenty you are very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Of course as well to you, @Ben and @rudy ! :smile:

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having trouble with this too. Is 1Password able to give us a version of the app that's side loaded, like some other app developers do for older versions? It usually involves installing a provisioning profile first.

Alternatively: hey @aklar, can you send me the .ipa for 1Password 4.3.2?

• Ben
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi

Is 1Password able to give us a version of the app that's side loaded, like some other app developers do for older versions? It usually involves installing a provisioning profile first.

No, sorry. We’re not able to do that.

Alternatively: hey @aklar, can you send me the .ipa for 1Password 4.3.2?

That likely won’t work for you. IPA files are tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them. Without knowing the Apple ID and password associated with the IPA file I do not believe it will be usable on your device.

As Rudy mentioned above...:

The only possible option would be your Purchase history in the App Store app on your phone. If you had previously purchased it should offer to let you install the last available compatible version for your particular OS.

Thanks.

Ben

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent you guys a lengthy email which contained forward email convos with Apple Support. They seem to think it's on your guys' end.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks. We’ll follow up via email then. :+1: :) Could you please let us know what support ID you got back from BitBot when you emailed us?

Ben

ref: UVS-86351-243

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ToniWonKanobi ! I think @Ben and @rudy are right: I did a quick check inside the ipa file and found my Apple ID as part of the metadata. So I guess you could only use this version of the file on a device that is authorized by my ID. If you find out otherwise or how to reset the file so it is universally usable, please let me know and we can see, what we can do.

I think the fact that the apps are not saved by backing up your device is a real flaw. Of course it saves disc space. But as soon as you have to reset your device you loose apps that have been deleted from the App Store or that you could not (or did not want to) keep up-to-date. Plus you would have to download all your apps, which might produce costs or is a pain if you don't have a fast internet connection. I contacted Apple now as well. I hope they give us better options in the future to keep using older devices for a longer time.

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi,

We'd certainly be interested in what they had to say, because I was able to:

1. go to my Purchases tab
    2. search for 1Password
    3. see that 7.0.3 is the latest version and click the download button
    4. and it gives me a dialog that says "7.0.3 isn't compatible with your OS, but you can download the latest compatible version by clicking OK"

Rudy

ref: UVS-86351-243

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy,

You mention version 7.0.3...

I assume that 1Password versions >4.3.2 are functioning properly. That is to say, the whole "___ isn't compatible with your OS, but you can download the latest compatible version by clicking OK" is working okay with the later versions of 1Password.

4.3.2 is the last compatible version with iOS 6—the iOS version for which I am having trouble—I need to find a way to get 4.3.2

• Ben
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi

I think you may have misread Rudy’s post. He wasn’t expecting v7 to install on your iOS 6 device:

and it gives me a dialog that says "7.0.3 isn't compatible with your OS, but you can download the latest compatible version by clicking OK"

Unfortunately if that doesn’t work for you we currently have no way of getting you v4. I’m sorry for the trouble.

Ben

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I could be mistaken, but I think @rudy was just saying how the whole "Download latest compatible version" thing works great for him.

I mentioned iOS 6 because while @rudy's example works great for him, I don't think anyone on iOS 6 can download 1Password 4.3.2 using that method, because it simply doesn't work.

• @ToniWonKanobi,

Let me dig out an iOS 6 device from my drawer... ;)

Rudy

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi,

I found one running iOS 7, went to the store and located 1Password and clicked on the download link…

It installed 4.5.3.

I'll see if i can find one still on 6 though just to confirm...

Rudy

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@rudy Yeah. iOS 7 isn't iOS 6 though!

But yeah. If you can somehow find an iOS 6 device to test 4.3.2 downloading properly, that'd be great. I'd love for you to prove both Apple and me wrong. (Because if you do, Apple might actually do something to help me. Doesn't look like AgileBits is going to do anything.)

• @ToniWonKanobi,

I will do a forced screen share with my co-worker next week to see if we can figure out why iOS 6 is left in the dark.

Rudy

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy ❤️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi: Please don't get your hopes up. It may be that we'll be able to discover the reason, and that may help you when working with Apple, but it's important to keep in mind that they are the only ones with any control over iOS and the App Store. As I mentioned earlier, they've made a lot of changes to the App Store infrastructure in recent years, but iOS 6 will not have been updated to take any of that into account — and I don't expect that it will, given how long it's been out of support. 1Password 4 works just fine, the same way it has for years, but I'm sorry that the App Store will not allow you to install it for some reason. Unfortunately that isn't something we can fix for you. It's possible, however, that Apple support has some tricks they can pull on their end to get it installed for you, but I haven't heard of anything like that and therefore wouldn't expect it. Never hurts to ask though. :)

• ToniWonKanobi
    ToniWonKanobi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty why is it that other developers don’t seem to have problems supporting and/or otherwise making their apps available/compatible with older iOS’s via older app versions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi: We do that through the App Store. 1Password 3, 4, 5, and 6 are still available there for download, even though 1Password 7 is the current version we're working on. What you're asking though — having us build a special version for you to install manually — is not only infeasible, it's impossible since we don't keep stuff that old around. 1Password 4 was developed in 2012. We've been working on version 5, 6, and 7 in the intervening years, so things have changed considerably since then. We have not, however, changed 1Password 4 or made it unavailable. I'm not sure why you'd be unable to download it on your device, but it isn't something we can fix for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ToniWonKanobi: Rudy found something that might work. I can't vouch for this, but it may be worth a shot:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/25/how-to-download-older-versions-of-ios-apps/

• aklar
    aklar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone!

Thank you for looking into this issue in more depth! Just for the record here is a screenshot of another iPhone 3GS I own (it's always a good idea to have one or many backup devices around as we've seen :wink: ):

It says (in German): "This app is not compatible with this iPhone"

While writing this I thought that maybe it makes a different which country's App Store one chooses (since some apps are only available in a certain country's store, which I find weird becuase you can simply change stores and download it anyway)! So I changed to the US app store (this website helps with doing so). But it's the same there as you can see in this screenshot:

Bummer. Thanks for the link @brenty – it seems like it's not so easy and since I got it working again, I will not try it out for the moment. But maybe I will need it sometime with another app.

This discussion has been closed.