To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Asks me for Secret Key every time I sign in via browser

Options
Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Memberships

I use Firefox 57 (the latest version) and 1P always asks me for my Secret Key every time I sign in via the browser. This isn't supposed to happen, is it? I have Firefox set to accept cookies - and save them - from my.1password.com, and yet it still keeps asking me for the key every time I sign in. How can I get it to stop doing this?

(I also have the browser cache set to 0, if this helps.)

Comments

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for moving this thread to the right forum, BTW. Much apologizings for posting it in the wrong one :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mr. Laser Beam: No worries. Sorry for the delay getting back to you! :)

(I also have the browser cache set to 0, if this helps.)

I think this is the problem. 1Password doesn't use cookies, as that wouldn't be very secure (storing your Secret key in plaintext) but rather the browser's local storage. So if you're clearing that or restricting it to the point where 1Password cannot save data there, you'll be starting off with a clean slate each session. Private browsing, resets, and "cleaner" apps can have the same result as well. Let me know if that helps!

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

It didn't help. I tried letting Firefox cache everything, and it still asks me for the Secret Key every time.

Google Chrome, strangely enough, does not. If I sign in to 1P using Chrome, it doesn't ask me for the key on any subsequent signon.

Safari doesn't constantly ask me for the key either - but only if I let it accept cookies. If I tell Safari to block all cookies, it always asks me for the key. If I let it accept cookies, it doesn't ask again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It didn't help. I tried letting Firefox cache everything, and it still asks me for the Secret Key every time.

@Mr. Laser Beam: Thanks for letting me know. Interesting.

Google Chrome, strangely enough, does not. If I sign in to 1P using Chrome, it doesn't ask me for the key on any subsequent signon.

That doesn't seem strange to me at all. It's the default — and expected — browser behaviour.

Safari doesn't constantly ask me for the key either - but only if I let it accept cookies. If I tell Safari to block all cookies, it always asks me for the key. If I let it accept cookies, it doesn't ask again.

I should clarify. 1Password.com does use cookies to recognize that you've signed in there before (that's how we get the snazzy account selector, if you have more than one you use). it's the Secret Key which is saved in the browser's local storage. And note that Safari groups these together in Preferences> Privacy > Website Data. I don't believe it's possible to nuke one without the other:

Ultimately I can only surmise at what might be preventing 1Password.com from storing and/or retrieving its local storage data. Do you have "security" software or other extensions which might be interfering with this, or are you doing something similar in Firefox as in Safari? I see my 1Password.com cookie in Firefox, but it does not seem to expose local storage in the UI as Safari does (albeit along with cookies and other "Website Data").

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm at a loss to explain this as well...especially since I have no add-ons that could possibly be causing any conflicts.

But it's not really that big of a deal. I've found that I can set aside Safari for all of my 1P usage, and Firefox for everything else, and it all seems to work out. Thanks for checking anyway.

(And when I was trying to sign into 1P with Firefox, I made sure that I let it cache everything and accept 1P cookies. It still didn't work. But as long as I found one browser that did work, it's all good.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Mr. Laser Beam: Hmm. Sure thing. I appreciate your stoicism, but I do think there must be some solution. Glad Safari is working well for you at least. I don't see how anything we could do on our end could help, but nevertheless I'd hate for you to have to continue like that. :blush:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to try install a fresh copy of Firefox and try creating a new profile. That's helped me in the past when I've encountered some similarly bizarre and inexplicable issues. Give that a try and let me know if it makes a difference.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

@Mr. Laser Beam are you by any chance using "Cookie" https://cookie5app.com/ on your Mac? This could also be cleaning up everything in your Firefox.

Also have you tried running Firefox in Safe-Mode? https://www.wikihow.com/Start-Firefox-in-Safe-Mode

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, good call, on both counts. I forgot about safe mode.

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@Manaburner - no, I'm not running Cookie or any other external utility that might be affecting my Firefox setup.

I thought that Firefox's "Tracking Protection" might be the culprit, so I tried disabling it. Didn't help.

This might have something to do with the new 'Firefox Quantum' version of the browser, as I've heard that's been causing problems with certain sites and addons...

• @Mr. Laser Beam, this is the second time I've heard of this happening on Firefox Quantum, so that might be the culprit.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.