I'm so frustrated right now I could scream

Since updating to 1Password 6, my experience has been worse than 1Password 4. What are you doing, I wonder? Here's an example, in November of 2016, you said that PIN capability would be in the 1Password 6 Windows app. Here we are, a year later, and no PIN support. Instead, I have a 45-letter master password. Another example: When I open the 1Password UWP, it opens Edge. What's up with that? Another example: I want to change my horrible 45-character master password, and when I go to the 1password.com site and follow the instructions to change it, there's no "master password" area to select under my profile, it only says to change password. When I use that, it says my old password isn't right. I just don't understand. Can I cancel 1password 6 and go back to 1password 4??? =FloydW=

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Who knows? It's not under settings
OS Version: Win 10 1709 16299.64
Sync Type: Personal Vault on your server
Referrer: forum-search:frustrated

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Since updating to 1Password 6, my experience has been worse than 1Password 4. What are you doing, I wonder? Here's an example, in November of 2016, you said that PIN capability would be in the 1Password 6 Windows app. Here we are, a year later, and no PIN support.

@floydwhetzel: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I don't believe we promised that, and certainly not a time frame. We're not going to support insecure PIN codes and simply store the Master Password on disk where it could be compromised. If we're able to find a secure method of allowing you to unlock the app without your Master Password for convenience in the future though, I suspect we will.

Instead, I have a 45-letter master password.

I'd encourage you to use a shorter Master Password. Even if you used the minimum length of ten characters, that would be more secure than a PIN number. Of course, I'd recommend using a long, strong, unique Master Password, but there's a lot of room for you to play with between 4-8 digits and 45 alphanumerics.

Another example: When I open the 1Password UWP, it opens Edge. What's up with that?

1Password in the Windows Store is the Edge extension. That's how Microsoft requires it be distributed to work with their browser. The extension integrates with the 1Password 6 desktop app.

Another example: I want to change my horrible 45-character master password, and when I go to the 1password.com site and follow the instructions to change it, there's no "master password" area to select under my profile, it only says to change password. When I use that, it says my old password isn't right. I just don't understand. Can I cancel 1password 6 and go back to 1password 4???

It sounds like you're using a different Master Password in the Windows app than you setup for your 1Password.com account. Are you maybe using an old local vault in the app? Which vaults are you seeing listed? It sounds like that's the key here so once that's sorted out and you have a more manageable Master Password (keep in mind that your data is also encrypted using the 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key) I think that will help a lot. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• floydwhetzel
    floydwhetzel
    Community Member

Thank you for the feedback. PIN: I truly appreciate your taking our security seriously, just like my bank takes security seriously. I re-read the article I mentioned at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/72546/no-more-pin-support and you're right there is no timeline for this. UWP: Thanks for the info on that one. I pinned it to my Start menu because I thought it was an app, so now that I know, I can unpin it and leave only the 1Password 6 app on Start. VAULT: I only show one vault, called Personal, that's shown under my name. PASSWORD: I was able to change the password to the number I use as my PIN on my iPad and iPhone. Yesterday I didn't see the [Manage] button on the right in my profile so I thought I was supposed click the [Edit] button under my name on the left. I clicked [Manage] and changed the master password successfully. Thanks again. =FloydW=

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Thank you for the feedback. PIN: I truly appreciate your taking our security seriously, just like my bank takes security seriously.

@floydwhetzel: Absolutely. We really do. But as far as banks...I guess it depends on the bank. Glad if yours is on top of things! :lol: l

I re-read the article I mentioned at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/72546/no-more-pin-support and you're right there is no timeline for this.

Nevertheless, I do apologize for getting your hopes up there. We did too. Frankly we expected to have had an Edge extension around that time as well, but there were a lot of challenges there. And while I can't assign full causality, the time and effort we spent on getting Edge to work with 1Password, and the ultimate necessity of needing to focus development on the desktop app (since UWP cannot work with Firefox, Chrome, or Windows 7) meant that we don't have a full UWP app today — which would have allowed us to support Windows Hello, which allows for a number of sign in options that can be managed without saving the Master Password insecurely. I'm sorry we're failed to achieve that and some other things we thought we'd have by now, but we'll keep working toward the future. :blush:

UWP: Thanks for the info on that one. I pinned it to my Start menu because I thought it was an app, so now that I know, I can unpin it and leave only the 1Password 6 app on Start.

Totally. Glad that helped, and I'm sorry for the confusion that's caused you. For now, the 1Password 6 desktop app is the way to go, and we're working on even more for upcoming versions.

VAULT: I only show one vault, called Personal, that's shown under my name. PASSWORD: I was able to change the password to the number I use as my PIN on my iPad and iPhone. Yesterday I didn't see the [Manage] button on the right in my profile so I thought I was supposed click the [Edit] button under my name on the left. I clicked [Manage] and changed the master password successfully. Thanks again.

Ah, gotcha. Thank you for the feedback on that! We'll see if we can make that clearer.

This discussion has been closed.