Confused with the vaults.

Options
miler
miler
Community Member

I am confused with the vaults here. I have a primary and personal. I thought I supposed to save all my passwords and logins in primary. Not sure. If i sign on the Web to 1password I don't have my primary vault and whatever is in there. Help to resolve and clarify please.
Also I opened a business an though that I may need to upgrade the account for the family use. So I can safe passwords related to my work. I don't have a lot. Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@miler - Primary is a local, standalone vault that is not part of a 1Password account; that's why you can't see it in the web app: because it's on your local Mac, not on the 1password.com servers. If you have both Primary and Personal, and you want to be able to have all your 1Password items everywhere (including in the web app), then you should follow these instructions to get your data transferred from your Primary vault over to your Personal vault. Then, when Primary is empty, you can visit Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1password accounts." This will remove your Primary vault, leaving you with only your Personal vault, with all your data inside. Make sure before you do this that you have your Master Password for your 1password.com account, because you'll need to enter it to use 1Password for Mac with only your 1password.com account vaults.

Regarding upgrading to a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account, you can do either at any time by clicking the link (only in the web app) in the right sidebar that says Invite People. As soon as you do that, you'll be asked if you want a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

• miler
    miler
    Community Member
    Options

Great thank you so much I will take steps to do what you said and looking forward to having a family account as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! We're here if you have any other questions at all. :)

• jorygun
    jorygun
    Community Member
    Options

There is so much confusion about these vaults! I wanted to scream.

There really needs to be a clear, complete explanation of vaults, and when someone upgrades from a stand-alone app to an account, the should be a set of in-app tutorial screens so people understand what's changed. The screens should probably let the user decide to switch everything to the personal vault at the same time.

In fact I don't see why the "primary" vault isn't simply the personal vault for the stand-alone user. The only thing that happens when you get an account is it's synced and stored at 1password.
    Anyway, I think I get it now, but it has required google searches and absorbing a number of separate questions and answers. Very frustrating.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted. It sounds like you should be all set, but in the future just ask. That's what we're here for. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This support article describes some of the special terms, including Vault, used in 1Password:

1Password glossary

Hopefully that’s at least a bit helpful for increasing understanding of 1Password. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.