FaceID stinks

darrenNZ
darrenNZ
Community Member

I finally got an iPhone X and I was so annoyed with it that I'm going to return it.

I use a complex passphrase (not the 6 digit PIN) so it's essential that I can easily unlock my phone. FaceID is a nightmare and is so hit and miss that I'm infuriated by it.

At least with 1Password I can require a PIN to unlock the app because it's a nightmare trying to unlock my iPhone in the sunshine or the car! I'd already enabled the PIN code feature on my previous iPhone for added security (TouchID to unlock the iPhone, PIN to unlock 1Password).

I then discovered this video by Troy Hunt on how bad FaceID is. I wish I'd seen this earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2JqXHWWk8

Anybody thinking of getting an iPhone X should seriously consider getting an iPhone 8 instead.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member

Personally, I have had no trouble with Face I.D at all. Either unlocking the phone or the apps that work with it ( 1password included ). Have you tried re-enabling Face ID?

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

I've tried that @Furzul but it doesn't help.

If you watch his video you'd realise that the way Apple have designed it means it's impossible to be used in some scenarios, e.g. a car with the phone in its cradle. The camera can't detect you because you're not straight-on facing the camera.

The other scenario is where you're in a sunny environment, it frequently fails because of overexposure. It successfully works with sunglasses and caps when worn indoors, however outdoors (where you'd wear sunglasses and caps) it fails most of the time but works some of the time.

He makes some other excellent points such as not being able to unlock the device whilst on table/flat surface unless you bend over the phone and peer into the camera.

• Hi folks,

I’ve moved this to the Lounge, as it doesn’t seem to be a support request for 1Password for iOS. If I’m mistaken and you do have a question or problem specific to 1Password for iOS please feel free to start a new thread in the iOS board. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.