Feature request: one-time passwords from QR code

This is a feature request: it would be neat if we could save QR code one-time passwords similar to the desktop version. I understand if other things are more of a priority - 1PX is awesome as it is :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @dmitri_t: Glad you're enjoying it so far and thanks for the love! :chuffed: Every site I've run into thus far supports other methods of saving your OTP secrets, so I'd bet a few features likely will take priority here, but it would be great to be able to avoid that extra step. After all, we're all about efficiency around here. It would be particularly cool if 1Password X could manage to scan from your screen when the QR code pops up. I always enjoy little things like that make using 1Password feel a bit more magical. I'll definitely let the team know this something you'd like to see. :chuffed:

• rbraga
    rbraga
    Community Member

This feature is very interesting to me too.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rbraga,

Thanks for letting us know this is a feature you'd like to see added to 1Password X. We haven't yet decided how we will handle scanning QR codes, but it's definitely something I'd like as well. Although we have a lot on our list, the 1Password X team is knocking items off every day.

I hope you have a great week! :)

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rbraga
    rbraga
    Community Member

Thanks for response @beyer

Actually this a problem to me and an important point to decide for buy (or not) the 1Password.

Today I have an Android (phone) and a Notebook (with Linux, Elementary OS) and is impossible to me configure 2FA to my accounts.

Do you have any advice on how to work around this or if this request is in roadmap near to delivery?

Thanks

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@rbraga: Great question!

I can't speak for every service, but it's fairly standard for a website to provide your one-time password (OTP) secret in plaintext as well as a QR code. Many times you'll see a link that says something like "Can't scan this code?" or you'll see the OTP secret in plaintext near the QR code. For example, here's how it looks on Twitter:

You can then create an OTP field on your Login item, by doing the following:

1. Copy the OTP secret provided.
    2. Click the 1Password X logo in Chrome.
    3. Click the right arrow next to the Login item you want to enable OTPs on, then click the Edit button (at the top). This will open your Login item in a new tab on 1Password.com.
    4. Paste your OTP secret into a new field and change the field type to "One-Time Password". You'll need to click out of the field before you can change the field type.
    5. Click the Save button (at the bottom) to save your changes.

Both 1Password X and your Android phone will then generate OTPs for this Login item.

Keeping with the Twitter example, here's how the whole process would look:

Your browser does not support the video tag.

I hope that helps! I'd be very curious to know if you come across a website that doesn't provide an OTP secret in this fashion.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• rbraga
    rbraga
    Community Member

Thanks @beyer

Great tutorial and solve my question.

Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that Beyer was able to help out! We're here if you need anything else. :)

• CarlWalsh
    CarlWalsh
    Community Member

Thanks @beyer that's an awesome guide!

Maybe you could link to it from the "getting started for 1password X" page, because it's an awesome feature that's not very discoverable yet :)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@CarlWalsh: I'm glad you found it helpful! :+1:

Since this is something that is useful for everyone needing to add one-time password fields on 1Password Web (whether they use 1Password X or not), I'll see if we can get something a bit more official added to our support docs.

I hope you have a great New Year! :)

&drew

ref: web/support.1password.com#1252

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CarlWalsh: We have a great guide for using TOTP in 1Password more generally:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

Always room for improvement...but it's hard to be too specific since it varies so much from one site to another. We'll see what we can do though. Cheers! :)

• CarlWalsh
    CarlWalsh
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

@brenty yeah I stumbled across that documentation at chance when I was looking for an easy way to sync QR code images. (And I shared it on facebook a week ago!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CarlWalsh: We've got some work to do there to add 1Password X and some other stuff, but I think we want to wait a bit since 1Password X is so new still. Gonna be some changes there. :)

• CarlWalsh
    CarlWalsh
    Community Member

@brenty is adding a QR code supported from the website, chrome extension, or android client yet? I'm on linux/chromebook at work, and without remoting into my home machine I don't see how to add one-time passwords :\

• @CarlWalsh: Scanning a QR code isn't supported on Android, web or in 1Password X just yet, but as Beyer mentioned earlier, most will give you the option to copy your TOTP secret so you can add it to 1Password X that way. QR code is certainly easier, but I'd expect copy/pasting the secret will work 9 sites out of 10, if not more. Not a perfect solution, but something you can use while we're cooking up something better. :chuffed:

• CarlWalsh
    CarlWalsh
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks, my bad. I forgot about the earlier content of the thread, and was able to copy/paste the secret.

I thought adding OTP wasn't supported from Android or web because this page doesn't have sections for them:
    https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

It would be awesome if the guide was updated with instructions for Android and for web! :)

• That's a good point, Carl. I'll ping @bundtkate to bring that up at the next docs call to see if that can be added.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dteare, @CarlWalsh: Just to clarify, the 1Password.com web interface does support adding TOTP fields, but 1Password for Android does not yet (these are custom fields with a specialized data type), but it's something we're working on adding there (as part of more general editing improvements like custom fields). Cheers! :)

ref: OPA-456

This discussion has been closed.