Improve your rating of 1Password on Google Play store

Philipp
Philipp
Community Member

Dear 1Password Team,

For me 1Password is the first app I install on every new smartphones. I think your product (and your support service as well) is really great!

But on Google Play 1Password gets (in my point of view wrongfully) often bad reviews. I read sometimes reviews and often your new customers do not understand (or do not read) "30 days free trial", "subscription" and "in app purchase" and what the differences are.

Maybe - in your interests for a better rating on Google Play - you could find a better solution to show new customers the differences. I can not understand why people buy products without reading details, but it seems often customers buy the in-app purchase upgrade and give you a bad review because they have to pay a subscription fee after 30 days too.

So maybe, as an idea from my side, you could implement a prominent popup window which is opening for every customer which is clicking the button for creating a new vault to show them again a short information about 30 day trial and what the difference is between subscription and in-app purchase. And maybe you could show this popup again when your customers is starting the in-app purchase process.

All the best
Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Dear 1Password Team, For me 1Password is the first app I install on every new smartphones. I think your product (and your support service as well) is really great!

@Philipp: First of all, thanks for taking the time to reach out to us. I'm really glad to hear that 1Password is indispensable for you too! :chuffed:

But on Google Play 1Password gets (in my point of view wrongfully) often bad reviews. I read sometimes reviews and often your new customers do not understand (or do not read) "30 days free trial", "subscription" and "in app purchase" and what the differences are.

I hear you. Honestly, we need to take the good with the bad though. We could probably fare a lot better if 1Password were a paid download. As far as I know, only those who "purchase" an app can rate/review it. We want to keep it a free download though so people can try it before they spend any money. I think we all know how hard it can be sometimes to decide whether to drop some cash on a new app. Will I like it? Is it worth the asking price? Really the only way to know for sure is to give it a spin, so that's where we're at right now.

Maybe - in your interests for a better rating on Google Play - you could find a better solution to show new customers the differences. I can not understand why people buy products without reading details, but it seems often customers buy the in-app purchase upgrade and give you a bad review because they have to pay a subscription fee after 30 days too.

We don't actually have an in-app purchase on Android (yet?) for subscriptions, only the Pro Features, so I think it's mostly people downloading it for free and then realizing there is a cost involved either way. Some people just expect everything to be free, or 1$.

So maybe, as an idea from my side, you could implement a prominent popup window which is opening for every customer which is clicking the button for creating a new vault to show them again a short information about 30 day trial and what the difference is between subscription and in-app purchase. And maybe you could show this popup again when your customers is starting the in-app purchase process.

We do have a popup like that when the app is used with a local vault for the first time, saying that the Pro Features are available for free for 30 days. But certainly I know a lot of people (myself included) tend to blow past things like that without reading.

Ratings aren't everything, but we are working to improve them day by day. Our development team is regularly replying to reviewers, especially when there's a solution to a problem they've encountered. And we're also working to improve 1Password overall so it's easier for people to get into without feeling overwhelmed.

We'll keep working at improving first impressions too though, so people understand what we're offering and can judge 1Password fairly based on that. There will always be folks who leave reviews like "It didn't get my account unhacked" (I'm being a little facetious here), but part of that is on us to better communicate the real benefits 1Password offers. Thanks again for your support — both financial and moral! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.