A 10 year old can FaceID unlock his mum's iPhone X

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

It's all in the lighting it seems.

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2017/11/15/10-year-old-unlocks-his-mums-iphone-with-face-id/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: That's awesome! I love that we can put this technology to the test out in the real world now, and that each of us can put it to use as we see fit depending on our own needs/preferences. The granularity of Face ID security settings is really great so that, for example, if she were using 1Password and wanted to keep her son out of that for sure, but doesn't mind if he plays a game on her phone, she could disable Face ID just for 1Password. Thanks for sharing this! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also, that kid is awesome! :lol: :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@brenty, Well, naturally, both parents were quite shocked! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I read that you have to keep using Face ID a few times before it really learns you. The fact that the kid and Mom keep using it, it won’t tell the difference.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@prime

Yeah, thats my understanding as well. I don't care if my wife for example were to get trained for my phone. We previously had both our fingerprints in each of our respective phones. We share the same MPW in 1Password as well. If it were possible to have separate faces just like fingerprints stored in the phone we no doubt would do that.

Just this morning I warned her of the consequences of the kids trying to unlock her iPhone, picking it up and actually knowing her pin code. Face training of the kids would occur.

Dual pin codes for the phone ? One a master would be used for the original owner and also update FaceID and the other would be used to unlock and NOT train FaceID. We could equate that to an Admin password on the Mac and a standard user on the Mac. No doubt most folks use admin passwords, We do on our shared Mac, but ensure we use standard passwords for the kids. (2 admin and 4 standard)

That would cause greater security concerns, I think ? You might as well go ahead and make the OS multiuser compatible. Though, I personally see the phone as a single user device. Its a tough dilemma and one Apple. no doubt continues to face. I love FaceID, plain and simple. Much easier than TouchID and I don't have nuclear codes in my phone nor 1Password. So I don't need tougher security. But there are folks that have sensitive info and it must be secure.

I am not sure of how FaceID capturing, and updating could be improved. Ill leave that to smarter folks than myself. For me and the Mrs we will 100% continue to use it. Even if it means every 2 months we reset FaceID to ensure security ( against the kids :chuffed: ). Its just simply makes our lives much easier using it.

• I read that you have to keep using Face ID a few times before it really learns you.

@prime: That wouldn't be surprising to me. I don't have an iPhone X (haven't even held one yet), but I'm a bit suspicious of claims it can deal with changes to, say, facial hair, if it's not watching said facial hair grow. The idea of it learning over time makes more sense to me. I'll have to ask one of my teammates to grow a beard for science.

@thightower: Like always, it seems security and convenience are having a bit of a fight with Face ID. It's unimaginably cool technology, but it does seem to fail to take some things into account. Like you and your wife, my partner and I have our fingerprints both saved on our iPad and we know the unlock codes or have fingerprints registered for phones. Hopefully, given time to grow, Face ID can learn to make the Goldilocks compromise allowing it to work its magic while accounting for multiple users and still ensuring adequate security.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

Might not be the most trustworthy source, but people at Reddit claim this video might be fake.

https://reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7dviup/this_popular_faceidwasfooled_video_was_faked_at/

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

@thightower I don’t care if my wife has my password for my phone, and I have we both have iPhone 7’s and both have each other finger on it. It’s not a trust issue, i just said one day “hey put your finger in my phone in case” and then said said “do mine too then”. I wouldn’t ever let my daughter have my password when she was younger. I just think that opens too many issues for an “ooops now we’re stuck with (whatever)”. I’m actually kind of sad my wife can’t have her face on an iPhone X, but I like your idea of duel password#/PIN.

@bundtkate I really think that’s what happened. There was another one of 2 brothers who did this and they then said they trained the Face ID to do this.

@XIII very interesting. I wouldn’t doubt it that Face ID was trained for this.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@ Prime

It’s not a trust issue, i just said one day “hey put your finger in my phone in case” and then said said “do mine too

Exactly

I’m actually kind of sad my wife can’t have her face on an iPhone X

Agree 1000%

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Multi Face ID may come but you probably have to buy a new phone. I am waiting it out and I dislike larger phones but I appear to be in the minority. I have the SE as my current phone.

• @thightower @prime: I'm with both of you. I had my partner add his fingerprint to my phone purely because I was tired of having to unlock the thing for him anytime he needed it. I'd ask him to read me a text from across the house and no dice. I certainly can't grow a beard like he can, so Face ID would probably come with some challenges ... :tongue:

@wkleem: I agree with you about a smaller phone. I'm not entirely convinced the iPhone X would be too big, but I have tiny hands. Something like Samsung's Note series is much too big without getting two hands involved and I hate it. SE is a bit too small. iPhone 6 was just about right. Phablets are nice in a way, but I'm afraid I'd drop the thing every time I tried to answer a call. Not worth the risk, especially at the cost. :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@katebundt,

I am uncertain if you are aware of Android’s One Handed Operation ? For a large 5.5” to 6” Phone, go to settings in Android to search One handed. What it does is to shrink a 6” screen to approximately 4.5” to 5” in order to use one handed. Can be left or right handed.

Apple has Reachability which lowers notification area down 50% for one handed use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2017

I always thought that One Handed was a weird option, since it means giving up a lot of screen real estate, but I have no doubt it's useful in some cases. :)

Reachability is something I don't mind but almost never use. Maybe Apple can do something with eye tracking to see that I want the screen to move down. :sunglasses:

Edit: Also, if that video was faked, that kid is no longer my personal hero. :tongue:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2017

One never knows if the video was staged and of it was, it got us fooled. :)

I have yet to try the iPhone X in person.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:sunglasses: :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Here’s another apparent Face ID fail. It was reported that a Chinese woman who bought the X tested Face ID on her colleague she got the iPhone X to unlock both their faces! When the second iPhone X did the same thing, she got a refund.

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2124313/chinese-woman-offered-refund-after-facial-recognition-allows

• rickfillion
    edited December 2017

It's a very tough problem that they're trying to solve. It'll be interesting to see where things land over time.

Everyone needs to make the decision individually whether Face ID is worth the risk.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.