"No Passwords Found" error when using Firefox Focus and Brave browsers.

tsalonia
tsalonia
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Android

I have been experimenting with different browsers on Android, namely Brave and Firefox Focus, which are security and privacy focused browsers. However, when I try to login to Facebook, or any other site for which I have passwords saved, 1Password does not seem to detect the login page on these two browsers, but it DOES on Chrome for Android. I receive the "No Passwords Found" error on the Brave and Focus browsers. Is there something specific in these two browsers preventing the detection of the logon page?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8+ on Android 7.0, with the 1Password keyboard enabled and Autofill option through Accessibility.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Android 7.0
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @tsalonia. Thanks for reaching out!

The issue you're seeing with Firefox, and I suspect the same with Brave, is that Firefox obfuscates URLs. This means that when the 1Password accessibility service scans the site to match it to a Login item, it's not able to detect the website you're on, and can only detect org.mozilla.firefox. You can find more on that here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/182024/#Comment_182024

That said, we're currently working on our filling implementation, and hope to have some news in that regard soon, which should make it easier to fill into 3rd party apps and browsers. :)

• tsalonia
    tsalonia
    Community Member

Thank you so much for the info! Upcoming changes sound promising. That's why I love this product. I've been a loyal users for about eight or nine years now. Thanks for all the great work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. On behalf of Peri, you are most welcome! Thank you so much for the kind words, and your support! We love what we do, and we're really excited to share more of what we're working on in the coming months. :chuffed:

• dan_9999
    dan_9999
    Community Member

@peri Since autofill works on Firefox Focus staring 6.7.BETA-6 , was it because of the change on Firefox Focus enables 1Password able to detect website now? Really hope to have autofill on Brave Browser after reading https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83905/instructions-for-6-7beta-new-accessibility-mode-toggle-accessibility-service-off-and-back-on ... Autofill in browser without using 1password keyboard is nice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dan_9999: Thanks for reaching out! It totally depends on the browser's accessibility support. Weirdly, Firefox Focus does this well, while (regular) Firefox does not. I'm not sure offhand how Brave fares though. If we can get it working there too, that would be great. :)

• dan_9999
    dan_9999
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure how 1Password autofill accessibility service works behind the scene. Since Firefox Focus autofill wasn't supported before and is supported now, does it mean 1Password has to do something to enable autofill accessibility detection for certain browser?

I'm not sure offhand how Brave fares though. If we can get it working there too, that would be great.

Brave is based on Chromium and they catch up with Chromium version pretty fast. According to their change log, current version is based on Chromium 62.0.3202.84, which is the same as Chrome Stable's version on Google Play.

I just tried using TalkBack "Select to Speak" with Brave browser, it was able to read out the url from the url box. Does this mean there's no "obfuscates" there? Hoping this is a good sign and I'm willing to test it out if Brave is supported.

• Hey @dan_9999. There isn't something that we do to turn on filling in browsers. We attempt to read and fill when we can. It looks like, while we're able to do so in Firefox Focus (as you mentioned), we're not able to do so in Brave, as they do indeed appear to obfuscate URLS. I know they have worked to support 1Password on other platforms, so maybe there's something they can do on Android as well.

• Given that this thread is delving into the technical, I thought that I would jump in here and provide a slightly more technical explanation of what's required in order to support filling into browsers with 1Password's accessibility service. There's essentially three pieces that need to be in place for things to work:

1. The browser needs to display the URL in an easily detectable text field
    2. The browser needs to support accessibility events with Android's accessibility framework
    3. 1Password needs to verify the signature of the browser against a known list

In past versions, Firefox would transform the URL field to display the title of the website instead of the URL once the page loaded. This is what @peri was referring to by "obfuscated". Although it was a neat feature, it effectively prevented 1Password from reliably being able to detect the URL of the website. In recent testing, I noticed that Firefox no longer does this, so we can now do 1.

Unfortunately, even though we can do 1, we still get stuck at 2. Although Firefox Focus includes general support for Android's accessibility framework, Firefox itself does not. This means that we don't receive the necessary accessibility events to identify login pages with Firefox.

Firefox is included in the list of known browsers that we bake into 1Password. If and when Firefox does add general purpose support for accessibility, we can enable support for filling with a relatively simple update.

So what does all this mean for Brave? We haven't tested support for filling in Brave yet, but a cursory look suggests that conditions 1 and 2 are already met. In order to support filling in Brave, we would need to do some testing to make sure everything works as expected and to add it to our list of known browsers in an update to 1Password. I can't make any promises as to if or when this will happen, but I can say that it certainly does look to be possible.

I hope that explanation helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions.

• dan_9999
    dan_9999
    Community Member

Hi @mverde, thank you for the explanation about autofill on the technical side. Given that Brave is based on Chromium plus your cursory look at Brave, this looks very promising. I’d be happy to test it out once Brave is added to the list of known browsers.

• @dan_9999 I'm glad that my explanation was helpful! If we do end up adding support for Brave, I'll keep you in mind when it comes to beta testing ;)

• shawnlcl
    shawnlcl
    Community Member

Chiming in here to add to the request for 1PW support for Brave & FF on Android! Wish to have a browser with ad-blocking capability and 1PW support - something I sorely miss on Android, after switching from the relatively seamless iOS experience. @mverde

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! Perhaps we'll be able to get 1Password to work there in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.