Can't add a new vault?

Options
amityweb
amityweb
Community Member

I used to have two vaults for years, but I messed them up when moving folders to sync with, I merged my personal with my work. I decided to start again by deleting the personal and re-adding it. I deleted the Personal vault, but when I go to add it back in there is no option to add in a new vault? I am a bit confused! How do I add my vault back in?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amityweb: You can double-click an OPVault or AgileKeychain vault to open it in 1Password...but it might be a better idea to just restore a backup from before you merged the two vaults if you haven't saved additional data there since then. Have you considered that?

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have now double clicked a vault to add it, that worked. Phew! I thought they stopped allowing it for new users (due to the subscription service) but kept it for older customers. But its OK now.

Although the merge service is terrible, I have now massive problems where vaults are being merged from 1Password into a vault and so duplicating all entries, so I have to restore a backup, then when I setup the sync again it merges and duplicates again. Its a nightmare! I have to create a new temporary vault, delete the primary so its all empty, sync. then copy from the temporary one to the new one. Then I forgot about my iOS app, so syncing that merges it all again. So I do the process again, and forgot about my work app, so when I go to sync that again it will all merge again. Its terrible! It needs an option to use the vault file data and NOT merge. Cant believe merge is the only option, if you have a vault and stop syncing then sync again it asks to merge only, which creates duplicates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have now double clicked a vault to add it, that worked. Phew! I thought they stopped allowing it for new users (due to the subscription service) but kept it for older customers. But its OK now.

@amityweb: Glad that helped! The only way you might run into trouble is if you have 1Password setup to use only an account, since local vaults will be disabled by default in that case.

Although the merge service is terrible, I have now massive problems where vaults are being merged from 1Password into a vault and so duplicating all entries, so I have to restore a backup, then when I setup the sync again it merges and duplicates again. Its a nightmare! I have to create a new temporary vault, delete the primary so its all empty, sync. then copy from the temporary one to the new one. Then I forgot about my iOS app, so syncing that merges it all again. So I do the process again, and forgot about my work app, so when I go to sync that again it will all merge again. Its terrible! It needs an option to use the vault file data and NOT merge. Cant believe merge is the only option, if you have a vault and stop syncing then sync again it asks to merge only, which creates duplicates.

I hear you. That's a big reason why we created 1Password.com, so we have control over the sync process (finally!) Dropbox is great for what it does, but not for the things you're trying to do: there is no way to tell Dropbox to replace all data on the server with what's on your device, and no way to avoid file conflicts or hosing your data if you merge separate vaults accidentally. I'd encourage you to check it out. I was hesitant at first as a long-time Dropbox user myself, but 1Password.com has saved me (and my family) a lot of sync headaches. Cheers! :)

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, I think I will leave it for now as its just me using it, on several devices, so Dropbox is fine. Its been working fine for years. I only got into this trouble because I notice sync not working, so I think it was something to do with accidentally using different vaults in Dropbox when I created a new Dropbox account the other day for personal use, and then when I started syncing with the right one, thats when all the merging issues started! I got around it by not using the Primary one, I created a new Work one, so I have two extra vaults for Work and Personal, then just deleted all the Primary one as I just could not see how to not merge when syncing again. I could move Work back in it, but I might just keep it separate in case I have issues again.

I am not a fan of cloud based systems unless really necessary. I use a lot of software being a web developer and business owner, and if I were to use the cloud service of every service provider it would be costing a lot of hundreds of pounds per month. Its only in the interest of the service providers to be a monthly cloud service. Sync can and does work fine in software. I am totally fine using purchased software as a one off. I still use Adobe CS5 products as their subscription is ridiculous (x3 in my office as its a per person service). So I just need to subscribe to the absolute essentials. Its a real shame for peoples wallets that software companies are moving to the cloud, it just becomes ridiculously expensive if you have a lot of software. It will eventually open up a market for software again though :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amityweb -- we hear you, which is why the upcoming 1Password 7 will include support for standalone licensing and local data with advanced, manual sync.

That said, we're not going to stop recommending 1password.com as far and away the best solution for the vast majority of users. I understand there's a general reluctance out there that stems from a perception that you're going from "owning' software to "renting" it, but I've never really understood that notion. The phrase "perpetual license" I think is perhaps an unfortunate source of this perception, because it gives the idea of permanence ("perpetual"), despite there being very, very few software developers who sell licenses for life (meaning, all new versions we create, forever, for a single, one-time fee).

Instead, what's "perpetual license" means in actuality is: your license never expires. You have purchased a license to use the current version of 1Password, and you can continue to use it to license that version for as long as you have hardware and versions of OS on which it will run. However, as we all know, time marches onward, and in the same way very few people are using the computer they owned in 2009 or running OS X 10.7, so does a license of (for example) 1Password 3 for Mac become outdated. Yes, it doesn't expire, but unless you keep your entire system frozen in time, you'll want the current version.

And here again, like most software developers, full-version upgrades are paid upgrades. Yes, you're not required to purchase them, but neither are you required to continue a subscription you no longer want, either. In both instances (licenses or subscription), you're going to be paying at regular-ish intervals for the new versions and the features/compatibility they contain. So I'm not sure I agree that simply refusing to subscribe actually saves users any money -- unless they're sticking with considerably outdated versions of various software. And while I agree some subscriptions give you more value for your money than others, as a subscriber (like you) to numerous other services and software, I'd say ours gives you some significant benefits, like sync issues such as the one that initially compelled your initial post here, being a thing of the past. Like unlimited access to all four of our native applications (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), so even if you change or add devices, you'll always have the latest version of 1Password everywhere. I'll climb down off my soap-box now, but I write the above in the spirit of being a user who's also struggled with sync issues and remembering license upgrades and the like -- particularly if you use 1Password on multiple platforms, a subscription may actually be saving you money, depending on configuration. Anyway, just some food for thought. Have a great holiday!

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

HI @Lars. Totally understand the advantages of cloud, disadvantages of software, its just when I buy a product that works for my needs, I am happy to keep that product as it is doing what I paid it to do until I decide I want to pay for an upgrade to get new features. I may or may not decide, it depends on the features. But at least I have the product I paid for when I paid for it. Like my Adobe CS5 reference, thats YEARS old. But does what we need it to, and I don't need the features added in Adobe Creative Cloud so will continue with the software I paid a one off for years ago. We only have Illustrator and Photoshop and Adobe dont provide them in a subscription together, you have to subscribe to two or more apps, and then the monthly plan is £30 per month per user (or pay annual for a bit less). £180 a month for my small business to use Photoshop and Illustrator. Ridiculous! Hence buying the old software.

There may come a time I do want the extra features in 1Password that it brings in which case I can decide then. Its just if people do subscribe to every monthly service it would be costing them a fortune and its a real shame everything is a subscription model these days. Cloud providers are even providing such niche services rather than a full features system, sometimes you'd have to subscribe to several different services that integrate with one another to accomplish what software did all in one system years ago. One example is I subscribe to Freeagent (£30 a month) accounting system. They dont even do financial forecasts even though the system knows all the upcoming invoices! Instead I would have subscribe to floatapp at £40 a month (more than Freeagent itself!) to get some cash flow forecasts. Its the same situation with project/task management systems, and CRM systems, nothing does it all in one system you have to subscribe to loads! Luckily 1Password is not like this as your service is in fact a standalone service in its own right for me, but just trying to give you the big picture about subscriptions. Every body and their dog is moving to subscriptions but I dont think many realise how saturated the market is with subscription software and how expensive it all becomes and people just cant afford them all!!

Anyway, rant over! :)

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    Options

After all that I just want to say though your pricing is actually excellent, and not a lot though. Actually your pricing wont break the bank at all, so in hindsight my rant above is probably not applicable for you. Your pricing is what I think cloud software should be more like, although maybe there is less investment in your cloud software than the examples above, so you can charge less, but the point is your price is not something I should worry about, its just I have this barrier to signing up to monthly services as I already pay monthly for so many things, Amazon Prime, Apple iCloud, Netflix etc etc etc etc! Wish I could not subscribe to so many things.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amityweb Thanks for taking the time to share the viewpoint about subscriptions. I know there's a perception out there that the rise of subscription services is just developers on a hunt for revenue, but for us it was more a matter of being able to offer users a better, more robust and simpler-to-use 1Password experience, such as a truly stable sync and sharing solution without all the manual fussing about on users' part. However, such a service includes things like bandwidth and storage costs on our end, which require ongoing payments by us, and we could never figure out how to price it on a one-time basis manner that was comprehensive and fair to both users and to us.

We've got mad love for the tech cognoscenti who were our early adopters and in many cases are as adept at using advanced features of 1Password as we are. You guys rock -- and you're quite literally what has allowed 1Password to become what it is today, since our sole revenue stream from the very beginning has always been the direct sale of 1Password to our users; no venture capital money, no deep-pocketed corporate parent.

But as password practices continue to be in the news as a point of failure in so many digital thefts/intrusions, the people who are coming to us for the first time these days looking for password security and management are far more likely to be "non-computer people" than they are to be late-to-the-game tech-savvy folks. And most of those people want to have the peace of mind of paying for something that just works without worrying they'll have to devote a ton of time either to a steep learning curve, like setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting manual sync and the like. Frankly, if you look at these forums right here, you'll see that a pretty big percentage of the issues people are experiencing have to do with sync troubles of one kind or another -- which are simply a thing of the past with 1Password memberships.

I'm glad you think our pricing is fair -- we do, too. One thing that's not immediately obvious is that it isn't just the data hosting and sync service that goes into the cost of 1Password memberships; it's also maintaining and continuing to improve four native applications on the major desktop and mobile platforms (iOS, Windows, Mac and Android) -- every 1Password membership includes access to that, including all future upgrades as long as the account's maintained as well. At the end of the day, standalone licenses and manual syncing aren't going away in 1Password 7, so users will have a choice -- but we're not going to be shy about telling users both old and new, of the best way to use 1Password -- a 1Password membership.

Thanks again for the chance to hear your views and go through our thinking -- and have a great holiday season!

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars, I just wanted to say again that pricing of 1Password is actually fine I think. I totally understand the reasons, so not at all complaining about that, I think your pricing is totally fine for what you get as its not a lot! It was just my barrier to subscriptions preventing me doing it at the moment, as they do all add up, I have loads! :)
    Thanks a lot

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amityweb You're quite welcome -- I always enjoy these conversations, because it gives me a chance to be a bit more explicit about the thinking that went into certain decisions and why things are the way they are -- including things that may not be immediately apparent. Drop by anytime! And have a great holiday season! :)

This discussion has been closed.