"Personal" login entries "leaked" over to another individual account in Family plan?

Ecosopher
Ecosopher
Community Member

We have a Family plan, with three of us on it. I have set up my account as the primary/administrator, but also made my wife's account have administrative privileges. Our daughter's account was supposed to have access to only her assigned password vault (which my wife and I also have access to), and the "Shared" vault. Today, when I was rearranging some things on our various devices (see below), I noticed that on our daughter's access to the 1Password, she is actually seeing some (but, strangely, not all...) of my primary account's "Personal" vault logins... probably about a quarter of the total. The same thing is not happening on my wife's devices.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which ones ended up on my daughter's account, as far as I can tell... some were put in long ago, some more recent... there isn't an alphabetical similarity or sequence. In any case, as a test, I deleted (moved to "Trash") a couple of the ones on my daughter's device she shouldn't have access to. Interestingly, they didn't seem to disappear from my "Personal" vault on my devices. I'm wondering if somehow a set of them were duplicated on her account when I changed my individual account to our Family plan last January.

Please let me know what you think is the best fix for this, and if it is likely to re-occur. Thank you.

(I am running the base off a 2012 MacBook Pro 10.11.6, and also using an iPhone SE on iOS 10.3.3... My wife is accessing the our Family plan through her 2010 iMac on OSX 10, and her iPhone 7 on iOS 11, while my daughter is accessing it through her iPad Mini 2 and her iPhone 5 on iOS 10.2.1.)

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Families
Referrer: forum-search:personal passwords leaking to individual vaults

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ecosopher: Thanks for reaching out! Have her sign into 1Password.com in a web browser. That will show only what is actually in the account. From your description, I suspect that she's got one or more local vaults hanging around (hence only some items). Let me know what you find!

• Ecosopher
    Ecosopher
    Community Member

Thanks for writing back. Yes, that seemed to be the case. I deleted the logins, one-by-one, from the seeming "Personal" vault that was showing up on her device... but it didn't seem to bother/modify the similarly named logins in my main Family access "Personal" vault.

But, now that vault is empty on her devices, I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the vault itself. Though it's empty, I'd prefer to get rid of it entirely so it's not confusing to her when she's adding new logins for herself. Is there a way to eliminate that "Personal" vault entirely? Thanks for your help.

• Hi @Ecosopher,

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to delete a Personal vault.

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ecosopher: I'm not sure I understand. It seems like it would be better for her to use her Personal vault for her own stuff. Where does she have it stored currently, in a Primary (local) vault?

This discussion has been closed.