I am unable to get into my account after changing phones.

Options
PCtennis
PCtennis
Community Member

I backed-up my iPhone 5, then ported my number to a new iPhone SE. I was unable to sign-in to my 1Password account. I signed up for a trial account to see if I could get in. That didn't work either. I can't figure out how to cancel my trial account. My old 1Password account does not require a Secret Key. What I want is to get access to my original account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am unable to get into my account after changing phones.

Comments

• @PCtennis: I've moved your discussion to our iOS topic as you're not looking to continue using a 1Password membership and folks here will be better equipped to help you moving forward. To start, did you sync your 1Password data? It sounds like you were using as standalone vault on your iPhone 5, in which case your data i stored locally only by default and is only backed up if you choose to sync it (via Dropbox or iCloud, most commonly). Do you recall if you used Dropbox or iCloud to sync your 1Password data? Do you still have the iPhone 5 available? This extra detail will help us point you in the right direction to try recovering your old data. Thanks! :chuffed:

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I just remembered that I also have 1Password on my iPad. What I need to know now is why can't I use my password for access to the app on my iPhone SE. Perhaps the app changed to an updated version that doesn't support my old password. How do I get the original app back. My iPhone 5 is being used by my wife with her phone number.

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, I have version 6.9.1 on my iPad.

• Hey @PCtennis, I hope you don't mind me jumping in alongside Kate. You mention that you're also using 1Password on your iPad, that's awesome! On your iPad, when you open the app, do you see your 1Password data there? If so, do you know if you are syncing your data with a third-party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud? If you're unsure, please let us know and we can help with your next steps and make sure you're up and running with your iPhone SE. :)

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding Louise,
    Yes, my iPad syncs with iCloud, but both the iPad and the iPhone have to be open at the same time. I haven't manually synced my iPhone 5 in the last year, so my iPad has old information. Will I still be able to get the entries that were on my iPhone 5 synced even though my wife has a new carrier SIM card in the iPhone 5? Our old carrier (AT&T) was closed yesterday. I was hoping that I could just enter my password on the app and it would open. It seems it's also tied to the phone and the iPhone SE will not recognize the password.
    I hope there's a solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

both the iPad and the iPhone have to be open at the same time

@PCtennis: I don't know what this means. Can you explain? That doesn't sound anything like how iCloud works.

To be clear, we don't have access to your data to give it to you, and it's only stored where you put it. If you don't have it stored anywhere else, you will need to start over. There just isn't any way around that. But if you'll let me know what you have to work with, I'll be happy to help walk you through things.

Did you backup your 1Password data at some point?

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you copy it to other devices, or sync it somewhere?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let me know and we'll go from there.

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response brenty,

My first mistake was I did not make a 1Password back-up on my MacBook Air before taking out my iPhone 5 SIM card and restoring it to factory settings. I thought I could make an Apple back-up of my iPhone 5 and upon activating my new iPhone SE I would be able to enter my Master Password on the 1Password App and I would be able to get in. What I've discovered is that the 1`Password data resides in the iPhone 5's 1Password App unless I were to sync to my iPad or make a 1Password back-up on my MacBook Air. Therefore there is no way I can now retrieve my 1Password data. I have 1Password App on my iPad, unfortunately I have not synced it in over a year and new entries are not there.

I would like to be able to input data in my 1Password App on my iPhone SE. I had version 6.9.1 before and I did not have a subscription. Is it possible to sync data from my iPad to my iPhone SE and access with my old Master Password? How do I go about getting that done?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your response brenty, My first mistake was I did not make a 1Password back-up on my MacBook Air before taking out my iPhone 5 SIM card and restoring it to factory settings. I thought I could make an Apple back-up of my iPhone 5 and upon activating my new iPhone SE I would be able to enter my Master Password on the 1Password App and I would be able to get in.

@PCtennis: Just to clarify, an iTunes/iCloud device backup should include 1Password and its data as well, but it doesn't always work like that unfortunately. If I had a dollar for every time I or someone else was missing data upon restoring, I'd be richer...but still dismayed by that reality. That's why we built a backup/restore feature into 1Password itself long ago.

You may be successful re-restoring from a device backup. That has worked for me and others
    in the past, even when the first (or second, or third) attempt resulted in missing data. I can't guarantee that will work for you, but it's worth a try if you're out of other options (apart form starting over).

What I've discovered is that the 1`Password data resides in the iPhone 5's 1Password App unless I were to sync to my iPad or make a 1Password back-up on my MacBook Air. Therefore there is no way I can now retrieve my 1Password data. I have 1Password App on my iPad, unfortunately I have not synced it in over a year and new entries are not there.

Correct. If you didn't have another complete copy of your data somewhere else, you won't have anything to sync it back from. :(

I would like to be able to input data in my 1Password App on my iPhone SE. I had version 6.9.1 before and I did not have a subscription. Is it possible to sync data from my iPad to my iPhone SE and access with my old Master Password? How do I go about getting that done?

Do you mean that you do have all of your 1Password data on another device? If so, you should be able to sync it to the iPhone:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let me know.

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

I had a chat with an Apple advisor. She said that an iTunes/iCloud back-up and restore does not back-up data from third party apps. No amount of restoring will retrieve data. The data can only be backed-up on 1Password and restored. There also is no warning that third party apps do not back-up data with an iTunes/iCloud back-up. The Apple advisor also thought that 1Password was like other third party apps like Facebook that store data on their system server. I told her that information was incorrect. I asked her to relay a request to have a warning about not backing-up data for third party apps on the iTunes back-up page. That would have alerted me to make a 1Password back-up. She also told me it's up to the third party app developer to communicate with Apple about any potential problems, not the reverse.

Yes, as I said before, I have 1Password on my iPad as well, but have not synced the data with my iPhone 5 in the last year. So the data that was deleted and inputed in the last year can not be synced. I signed up for a trial subscription to see if that would work. It did not, so I canceled the subscription, but it's still available for the next month. Since then I have been able to use my Master Password on the app on my iPhone SE. What I would like to find out now is if I sync from my iPad to my iPhone SE, will I be able to continue to use the 1Password app on my iPhone SE after the trial period ends and keep my data?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

That is contrary to the experience we’ve had with iTunes backups in the past, but perhaps there has been a change.

If you sync your data using the 1Password membership service, and then cancel your subscription, when the time you’ve paid for (or your trial) runs out your account will be ‘frozen.’ You’ll still be able to access your data but will not be able to add or make changes.

If you are not signed into a 1Password membership and instead sync your data using a 3rd party service (iCloud or Dropbox) then the trial expiration of the membership would be irrelevant.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know.

Ben

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

I have since found out that in order to sync data with 1Password I must use iCloud Drive. It was already turned on in my iPad. I also now turned it on in my iPhone SE. I selected sync on my iPad. The vault in my 1Password app on my iPhone SE is still empty. I do not understand how to move the vault on my iPad to the vault on my iPhone SE.

Since i signed up for an account subscription and then canceled, should I first delete the 1Password App and reinstall in order to be able to sync and keep using the app?

• PCtennis
    PCtennis
    Community Member
    Options

I just synced on my iPhone instead of my iPad. It worked! Even though I canceled my trial subscription, do I still need to delete the app and reinstall, or can I keep it as is?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have since found out that in order to sync data with 1Password I must use iCloud Drive. It was already turned on in my iPad. I also now turned it on in my iPhone SE. I selected sync on my iPad. The vault in my 1Password app on my iPhone SE is still empty. I do not understand how to move the vault on my iPad to the vault on my iPhone SE.

@PCtennis: Correct. Syncing with iCloud requires iCloud Drive be enabled. Disabling that disables all iCloud sync mechanisms. Make sure that it's enabled on each device, and that you're signed into the same iCloud account if you'd like to sync that way.

Since i signed up for an account subscription and then canceled, should I first delete the 1Password App and reinstall in order to be able to sync and keep using the app?

If you would like to start over in the app, make sure you backup your data and then you can reset it.

I just synced on my iPhone instead of my iPad. It worked! Even though I canceled my trial subscription, do I still need to delete the app and reinstall, or can I keep it as is?

But if you have your data on both devices and they're syncing using iCloud, it sounds like you should be all set. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions though! :)

This discussion has been closed.