Various questions and problems

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Hello everyone,[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]and by advance, sorry for my bad English.[/font]

I read various guides (Introduction, Getting started, Tutorials, FAQ, Differences between 1Password for Windows and for mac…) but…

I have just bought 1Password Windows + Mac Bundle.

The Mac version is very pleasant whereas the Windows version is really in late, when i buyed this bundle, I were persuaded that the two versions were identical. Ok, I know the Windows version was developed on the basis of V2 for Mac.

The look is not a problem what disturbs me mainly it is (For information, I synchronize with Dropbox)
  1. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]No toolbar under Firefox 5 or 6 like on Mac![/font]
  2. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]No Tags like on Mac, i don't use the folders only tags on mac... bad idea...no tags on windows...[/font]
  3. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]The attachments on my Mac appear in the form of an Windows Icon and instead of opening, there is a Windows explorer which open it with the path “Biblothèques \ Documents”... hum, I don't understand, attachments are not saved with all my wallet and synchronized by Dropbox ?[/font]
  4. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Finally can we really use the Mac and Windows version with a DropBox synchronization, without fearing to break the wallet ?[/font]
  5. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]When do you think that the Windows version will be with on the level of the Mac version?[/font]
  6. [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Will the final version be free (windows = mac)?[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Best Regards[/font]

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    c59fdub wrote:

Hello everyone

Welcome to the forum!

No toolbar under Firefox 5 or 6 like on Mac!

Firefox for Mac is the only one of all the browsers we support on either platform that allows us to add a dedicated toolbar.

No Tags like on Mac, i don't use the folders only tags on mac... bad idea...no tags on windows...

Tags would be a very useful addition. I use them heavily, too, and eagerly await their implementation in 1Password for Windows.

The attachments on my Mac appear in the form of an Windows Icon and instead of opening, there is a Windows explorer which open it with the path “Biblothèques \ Documents”... hum, I don't understand, attachments are not saved with all my wallet and synchronized by Dropbox ?

As has been discussed quite a few times, here in the forums, 1Password has to create a temporary copy of your attachment, so that it can be opened in the associated application. That copy is not encrypted—if it were, the associated program couldn't open it. To automatically open an attachment, we'd have to create that unencrypted copy (typically in some "temp" folder); when you finished viewing it, the copy would still be there, unencrypted, available to anyone who gained access to your computer. By having you pick a location in which to save a copy of the attachment and open that saved copy, we believe we increase the likelihood that you'll remember where it is and that you need to decide whether it should be deleted when you're finished viewing it.

Of course, attachments are saved, encrypted, and synchronized by Dropbox, along with all your other 1Password data (except titles and URLs, as discussed elsewhere at great length).

Finally can we really use the Mac and Windows version with a DropBox synchronization, without fearing to break the wallet ?

I don't know what you mean by "break the wallet."

If you're referring to compatibility, 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows use exactly the same storage format. That's precisely why Dropbox is perfect for sync'ing your 1Password data.

If you're referring to additional cost, Dropbox's free level is sufficient for all the 1Password data sets we've encountered. They provide a very liberal amount of data storage at no charge, and there's no fee for transmitting that data (other than what your ISP may charge).

When do you think that the Windows version will be with on the level of the Mac version?

It is not our policy to assign dates to the release of particular feature sets. We are constantly improving all our products, with new features being added to one or another.

Will the final version be free (windows = mac)?

I don't know what you mean by "windows = mac."

Our products aren't free—we have bills to pay, too—but we do offer a significant discount on the "bundle" license in our online store.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    c59fdub wrote:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]No toolbar under Firefox 5 or 6 like on Mac![/font]

Starting with 1Password 3.8, there is no toolbar for Firefox 6 on Mac anymore either.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for that update, Stefan!

I don't use Firefox on the Mac very often, and I haven't had the toolbar enabled there in months (I prefer to retain the real estate for what I'm reading); so I'm not sure when I would've noticed that. :)
  • c59fdub
    edited August 2011
    Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

To complete, in the mac toolbar, i like the option "Fill x matches", really simple and fast.

Q: The attachments on my Mac appear in the form of an Windows Icon and instead of opening, there is a Windows explorer which open it with the path “Biblothèques \ Documents”... hum, I don't understand, attachments are not saved with all my wallet and synchronized by Dropbox ?

A: As has been discussed quite a few times, here in the forums, 1Password has to create a temporary copy of your attachment, so that it can be opened in the associated application. That copy is not encrypted—if it were, the associated program couldn't open it. To automatically open an attachment, we'd have to create that unencrypted copy (typically in some "temp" folder); when you finished viewing it, the copy would still be there, unencrypted, available to anyone who gained access to your computer. By having you pick a location in which to save a copy of the attachment and open that saved copy, we believe we increase the likelihood that you'll remember where it is and that you need to decide whether it should be deleted when you're finished viewing it.
    Of course, attachments are saved, encrypted, and synchronized by Dropbox, along with all your other 1Password data (except titles and URLs, as discussed elsewhere at great length).
    The attachments have no name, and no extension in 1Password for Windows, when i want to open a document, I must choose a place to save the document and keying a name with his file extension (if I remember it)...
    On this Screenshot find on the web, the attachment have a name and extension...
    On mac version, we have a name and file extension, no temp file, just click on file to open it with the associated application.
    I hope I make a mistake, because it's really not pratical on the windows version and finaly not usable.
    Please, see attached screenshot to well undestand my problem.

Q: Will the final version be free (windows = mac)?

A: I don't know what you mean by "windows = mac."
    Our products aren't free—we have bills to pay, too—but we do offer a significant discount on the "bundle" license in our online store.
    Yes, I know it's not free, I bought the Mac + Windows Bundle, when I say "Will the final version be free", I talk about the future version of 1Password for Windows with the same fonctionality as the Mac Version ! Because at this time there is too much differences between the 2 versions. I replaced my old tool on Windows and Mac, by 1Password but the Windows version is not so good as i hope.
    In addition, I plan to buy the version Pro for iPhone and iPad, but I would be much more attentive with the functionalities.
    I think that on your site, the differences between the Mac and Windows version should be highlighted, mainly for the bundle Mac + Windows, because in my case, I studied only the Mac version thinking that the Windows version was identical...

Another lack, there isn't a french version for Windows...

I wish you good courage and hopes that the Windows version will progress quickly.

Best Regards

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the follow-up, c59fdub!

Your attachments definitely should have normal Windows filenames (like MyFile.txt). Mine do; as a result, the filename is available in the "save as" dialog box that appears when I double-click on an attachment. (Of course, I can save it under some other filename, if I like, but I don't have to type one into the Filename field if I don't want to.)

How did you add the attachments to your 1Password items?
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    On Windows, attachments should have filenames (including file extensions), too. Can you reproduce this problem? (Can you add attachments that do not seem to have a filename nor an attachment)? If yes, then I would love to hear about your steps.
  • Hello,

All my attachments have this problem on Windows.

All the attachments was made by drag and drop under the Mac version. My data are synchronized with DropBox between Mac and Windows.

For a try, I add an attachemnt under windows and it's OK, I think it's a problem with data synchronized by DropBox from Mac to Windows. On Mac the attachment joined under Windows have a name and file extension, and i can open it with no problem.

An another user have exactly the same problem : http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/6325-sync-between-mac-windows-attachments-fail/

Best Regards
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for that link!

This problem must have arisen fairly recently—all my existing items created in 1Password for Mac show attachments in 1Password for Windows with full filenames, as expected; but a new item created in 1Password for Mac just now, with the latest versions on both platforms, shows the attachment with no filename on 1Password for Windows.

It's hard to tell which platform is failing to do its part, but we'll look into it right away.
  • c59fdub
    edited August 2011
    Hello,

Finally it is an anomaly, I prefer.

Windows -> Mac OK
    Mac -> Windows KO

Some tests you can try to isolate the problem,

Synchronize Windows -> Windows ?
    Synchronize Mac -> Mac ?

Try Windows -> DropBox -> Windows (on an other PC), if KO it's only a Windows problem...

To be sure that Dropbox is not the problem, copy a mac keychain (never synchronized by dropbox) without dropbox on windows, if KO it's a DropBox Problem.

However, if I understand well, when the problem is corrected, it is always necessary to choose a place to record the documents! That is really not practical… Why not configure a place by default and remove automatically when the document is not locked by an application or when we close 1Password or close Windows. How do you do on Mac version, because we just click on the document to open it,nothing else.

New problem, no sync for Application thumb from Windows to Mac, from Mac to Windows it's OK...

Best Regards,
    And thank you for your follow-up of quality.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the additional information.

As I said, I was able to reproduce the problem, and I've reported it to the developers.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    DBrown wrote:

all my existing items created in 1Password for Mac show attachments in 1Password for Windows with full filenames, as expected; but a new item created in 1Password for Mac just now, with the latest versions on both platforms, shows the attachment with no filename on 1Password for Windows.

Fixed in build #215
This discussion has been closed.