I purchased 1Password long ago and after the latest update it says "read only". What do I do?

Angelma36
Angelma36
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

Update 6.8.5 was installed 12/18/17. Since then, when I open 1Password it says "read only" and wants me to purchase the program. What do I do?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can't open 1password

Comments

• rudy
    edited December 2017

@angelma36,

If you had previously purchased from us directly then you can't use the Mac App Store version as it is not able to recognize your license due to App Store Rules. You must install from https://1password.com/downloads

If you purchased from the Mac App Store with a different Apple ID, you must install with the Apple ID that you used when you originally purchased it.

Rudy

• Angelma36
    Angelma36
    Community Member

Thanks

• @Angelma36,

Let us know if you need anything else!

Rudy

• Angelma36
    Angelma36
    Community Member

We purchased 1 Password in the Mac App Store many moons ago, and it updated itself to 6.8.5 on December 18th on my MacBook, but..I can only see and use the current entries. I cannot edit or add anything. It wants me to purchase it. Confusing. Thoughts?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Angelma36 If you're certain you purchased it using your own Apple ID, then as long as you are signed in using the same Apple ID now that you used to purchase it in the past, you should be able to open the Mac App Store on your Mac, go to the Purchased tab and search for 1Password, then click "Install" to the right. This should get you a copy that will not be in Read Only mode. You'd need to delete the current copy first before doing this. Just drag it to the trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac and visit the Mac App Store again to follow the preceding directions.

This discussion has been closed.