iCloud Session Expired - Keeps asking me to sign in with my Apple ID

Options
2»

Comments

• cmonkey
    cmonkey
    Community Member
    Options

"Keep me signed in" does not fix the issue for me; my iCloud session still expires Every. Single. Day.

Why can't AgileBits just fix this bug already? It's been plaguing people for all of 2017!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmonkey: As far as I know, you're the only person for whom the iCloud authentication token is expiring daily even with "keep me signed in" checked before signing in. It seems to be about 30 days for me, and others we've heard from have said that's worked for them as well. Regardless, while I'm sorry you're having this issue, it isn't something we have control over. iCloud authentication is handled solely by Apple. That's why we can't "fix" that for you.

• cmonkey
    cmonkey
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve done the “keep me signed in” checkbox, I’ve disabled and then re-enabled iCloud syncing, I’ve reinstalled 1Password app.... none of it resolves the issue.

What a strange coincidence that this problem began simultaneously with an update to 1Password desktop application when the problem is ostensibly all on Apple’s end.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I’ve done the “keep me signed in” checkbox, I’ve disabled and then re-enabled iCloud syncing, I’ve reinstalled 1Password app.... none of it resolves the issue.

@cmonkey: I'm sorry to hear that, but it isn't something we have control over. You're welcome to use another sync method if you're not able to get help from Apple.

What a strange coincidence that this problem began simultaneously with an update to 1Password desktop application when the problem is ostensibly all on Apple’s end.

Apple changed the expiration over the summer. We've been getting reports since then. 1Password doesn't handle iCloud auth; iCloud does.

• Shark88
    Shark88
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue since one week. My iCloud session expires daily and keeps me asking to authenticate again. The "keep me signed in" checkbox is checked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shark88: Thanks for letting me know! It's weird that it's once a week, since, as far as we've been told by other users and by Apple, the expirations are 8 hours and 30 days, depending on the checkbox. I appreciate you mentioning it!

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

So I've been following this thread for the last month or so, and I am also still having the issue where it says my iCloud session has expired. It started with asking me more frequently than every 30 days (I WAS checking the remember me box, and I don't know how often it was happening, because at the time, I figured I just wasn't paying attention to how long it had been since I'd last had to enter my information). Then it started escalating to every week, and this past week, it's asked me every 8 hours or so. I can't say for sure that it's 8 hours EXACTLY, but I do know that it has happened every day for the last week. I have the issue in multiple browsers (Safari, and Chrome), and I DO check the box to stay logged in, every time. I have two-factor turned on with iCloud, and have for at least the last year, and that hasn't caused me any issues prior to this last month or so.

I have restarted my computer, I have turned off sync completely, restarted my computer, and turned it back on with Dropbox, then restarted, and turned it back on with iCloud. I have followed the steps to delete my iCloud data from 1password, and the issue still persists. Aside from completely uninstalling 1Password and reinstalling it, I feel like I've done all of the suggested troubleshooting techniques that I've seen in these forums. Please help!

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.4 (684001)
    AgileBits Store

macOS High Sierra
    Version 10.13.2 (17C88)

Safari
    Version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.3)

Google Chrome
    Version 63.0.3239.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tinyraptor - Are you using any automatic cache cleaners or other utilities to alter your browser cache/history?

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@Lars I do not! But this most recent time (before I deleted my iCloud data from 1p), I completely wiped my cache back to the beginning of time, and it's still happening. So it was happening before I wiped my cache (and I believe the last time I wiped it was maybe a year ago?), and is still happening after.

Sorry, I just reread your question. I DO browse using incognito in Chrome from time to time (which would alter my browser history), but I have 1P set up to work in incognito, and didn't have an issue with me getting kicked out of iCloud prior to maybe a month ago.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tinyraptor - If you opened the authorization dialogue in an incognito window, that might have affected things -- but that would be only on a one-time basis (in other words, it would only affect THAT authorization attempt). Here's what I'd suggest: the next time it happens, please make sure to open that window in a regular Chrome window, and see if that solves your issue. If it doesn't, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#GTQ-95484-831]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @tinyraptor only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GTQ-95484-831

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I've only had it ask to reauthorize in incognito this past week, and I knew that it would (since it's incognito), but it had never done it BEFORE when I'd had it open with incognito. That, however, only accounts for about 1% of the time that it asks me to log back in with my iCloud. Every other time has been in Chrome or Safari proper, and I just reauthorized before I left my first comment on here, so if it happens again tomorrow (I don't really have high hopes that it WON'T), then I'll absolutely open a diagnostics reports from my computer!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tinyraptor: Just out of curiosity, after checking the "keep me signed in" box, are you then having 1Password fill and submit your iCloud credentials? The reason I ask is that if you've saved that login without the "keep me signed in" checkbox checked, 1Password may be unchecking it for you as part of the filling process, trying to match what you'd originally saved. Just a thought. I've also had issues with the iCloud authentication when not using Safari, so I've been using that instead for a while now.

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I wish that was it! Both Safari and Chrome fill in my username and the “remember me” check, but not my password. And for the last week or so, just to make sure I wasn’t doing something weird, I would re-type my username, type my password, and then un-check, and then re-check the box. This was both before and after I removed my iCloud from 1Password, and added it back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I wish that was it! Both Safari and Chrome fill in my username and the “remember me” check, but not my password.

@tinyraptor: Not your password? Are you using 1Password to fill, or are you having the browsers do this for you?

And for the last week or so, just to make sure I wasn’t doing something weird, I would re-type my username, type my password, and then un-check, and then re-check the box. This was both before and after I removed my iCloud from 1Password, and added it back.

Yeah I was thinking it might be worth trying to enter your login credentials manually and check the box before submitting. Unless there's something else you haven't mentioned, it sounds like Apple is just expiring your login. Are you using two-factor authentication for it?

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@brenty

Are you using two-factor authentication for it?

Yes! But I've been using two-factor with 1Password for at least a year, and this kicking me out every day thing is a relatively new issue.

--

@Lars I just tried to use 1Password again, and since the last time I tried was last night before I went to bed, it had kicked me out again. This time, I went to submit the diagnostic report like Lars suggested. After that, (on the AppleID login screen) I erased my username and unchecked the "remember me" box (because both of those were auto-populated), and then I typed my username, my password, and re-checked "remember me". This time, it gave me a screen that said:

I believe that probably happened because I took too long to log in, since I was submitting diagnostics. HOWEVER, after that, I closed the window, and waited for 1Password to ask me for my master password again. When I unlocked, it gave me the "your iCloud session needs to be reauthorized" window again. I did what I mentioned above (clearing my username, and unchecking "remember me", then putting all my information in from scratch and rechecking "remember me") again, and it told me I had successfully logged in.

We'll see if it does it again tomorrow, since I'll probably be asleep in 8 hours.

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    Options

Are you using two-factor authentication for it?

@brenty Yes! But I've been using two-factor for at least the last year with 1Password, but this whole getting kicked out on a daily basis thing is relatively new.

@Lars I had a whole comment where I detailed what just happened, and somehow it didn't get saved as a draft. SO I'm going to try to write this again. The gist was that it happened again, I followed your instructions to submit a diagnostics report, and then when I went back to log in with my AppleID and password on the re-authorization screen, I got this page instead:

I'm fairly certain that's because it took me too long to actually log in, since I was doing the whole diagnostics thing. SO I waited for 1Password to lock again, I put in my Master Password, and when I logged in, it immediately told me I needed to re-authorize with iCloud, just like before. I did the same thing I did the first time, only faster (I removed my username, unchecked "Remember Me", and then manually typed in my email, password, and then re-checked "Remember Me"). It said that I successfully logged in

So because I'll probably be asleep in 8 hours when it does this again, I'll check tomorrow to see if it's asking for me to re-authorize again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes! But I've been using two-factor with 1Password for at least a year, and this kicking me out every day thing is a relatively new issue.

@tinyraptor: Thanks for letting me know! I've been using Apple's two-factor authentication for a few years now, so I don't have a frame of reference for if this is different for someone who is not (either nothing at all, or the older two-step instead). It doesn't help us understand why your experience is different than mine, but it's a data point we can use to discount that being a factor (no pun intended).

I had a whole comment where I detailed what just happened, and somehow it didn't get saved as a draft. SO I'm going to try to write this again.

It looks like it just got stuck in the spam filter for some reason. Drafts usually work just fine with a reliable connection, but they are removed after posting. Sorry for the trouble there!

So because I'll probably be asleep in 8 hours when it does this again, I'll check tomorrow to see if it's asking for me to re-authorize again.

Your description sounds just as I'd expect. Let me know what happens tomorrow!

• tinyraptor
    tinyraptor
    Community Member
    Options

Your description sounds just as I'd expect. Let me know what happens tomorrow!

@brenty same as always. Asks me to re-auth my iCloud session, BUT I did try something new this time. I realized that the 1Password shortcut that I use 98% of the time is the one in the toolbar of my Mac (so I think that's 1Password mini), as opposed to the 1P that's an extension in either of my browsers.

vs /

My habit when I need to input a password is to click the 1P in my Mac toolbar, and unlock, which in the past week has 100% of the time required me to re-authenticate my iCloud session. I believe because Chrome is my default browser, when I go to re-auth my iCloud session, it automatically opens that page in Chrome. So today, I locked 1P and tried in all three places again and paid attention to where it was directing me this time, instead of the fact that I was seeing this page again.

From the 1P in my Mac toolbar, it opened in Chrome. From the Chrome extension, it asked me to re-auth in a new tab in Chrome, and when I went to Safari and locked 1P and then unlocked from Safari it did the same thing (opened in Chrome). SO. All of that to say, I don't think it has to do with Safari vs Chrome, I think it's 1P (and possibly whatever Apple is doing to kick me out every 8 hours). Just in case that helps with the troubleshooting.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tinyraptor - I've replied to you via email; let's keep the conversation going over there, rather than in two places at once. :)

• dimjoula
    dimjoula
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Same here since one week, suddenly. I am following this thread. "Keep me signed in" does not work, I have to sign in every day. I tried different operations regarding iCloud without success (logout, erase 1P database, using other sync methods then come back to icloud…).

• @dimjoula,

We have reached out to Apple to see if something changed on their end.

Rudy

• igormorozov
    igormorozov
    Community Member
    Options

For me it appeared a week ago. And now I should enter iCloud password every day even with checked "keep me signed in".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @igormorozov - apologies for the inconvenience; please see this post in this thread for a fuller explanation.

• vincenzo
    vincenzo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I am very tired, my iCloud session still expires every day. I use a desktop and a laptop and every time I have to login with the Apple ID to sync 1Password.
    I think that is not normal. I have difficulties to understand all the discussion about that in this forum for the English language.
    Is there a way to solve this problem?
    Thanks

• rudy
    edited December 2017
    Options

@vincenzo,

In the link @Lars posted in the prior comment he indicates that there isn't a workaround and that we're working with Apple to find a resolution to this issue.

Rudy

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've closed this thread because there are several like it; if you've found your way here and still have questions about iCloud sign-in prompts, please visit the main announcement thread. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.