1Password for Android ??

Options

I would like to install 1Password on my new Samsung S8 plus,
I am hesitant to use cloud storage,
What is the most secure way to use 1password on Android?

thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passworduser9999: Thanks for reaching out! Indeed, we feel the same way, and I never would have personally sync'd my 1Password data using Dropbox at all (or, more recently, 1Password.com) except for the fact that 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted — so it simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

Now, that applies to all "flavours" of 1Password, but with 1Password.com accounts the Secret Key provides an additional layer of security, since that is also used to encrypt the data. And all of that is done locally on your device: the data is encrypted using your Master Password and Secret Key before being transmitted, and we never have tier of those; only you do. So while a 1Password.com membership is the most convenient way to use 1Password, it's also the most secure. You don't have to choose between all of those benefits and security; you can have both.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

@1passworduser9999: I'm not sure what you mean by "installed on Android only locally". Can you tell me more about what you're trying to do? If you mean using 1Password for Android without syncing, that is possible but you'd need to copy the OPVault or AgileKeychain there from another device in that case.

However, keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. And a 1Password.com account has the added security of the 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key as well. So you don't actually have to give up any security at all for that convenience. Cheers! :)

• Thanks @Sinister. @1passworduser9999 You can sync a single local vault on Android, but it's not possible to sync multiple local vaults, unless you're using a 1Password account. :)

I recommend going with the account. It's very secure, and your data will always be synced and backed up without any extra effort.

• @1passworduser9999 You can indeed, however, it's not possible to create a standalone vault from Android, so you'll need to sync the vault from elsewhere. Are you using 1Password on any other devices?

• Hey @1passworduser9999. If you prefer to stick with the standalone, 'sync it yourself' version, follow the steps in this guide to configure sync between your devices:
    https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

Let us know if you need anything else!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passworduser9999: Sorry for the confusion! The link Peri sent will not sync your data between devices; rather, it's a guide for the various sync options you can configure to get your data from 1Password for Mac to 1Password for Android. For example, Dropbox:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#advanced-sync-options

If you follow the instructions to setup Dropbox sync on your Mac, that will allow you to do the same on Android to access the same data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passworduser9999: I'm not sure what you mean. I sync a vault between 1Password for Android, Mac, Windows, and iOS using Dropbox. Did you try it? 1Password has supported this sync option for years.

• @1passworduser9999 In that case I recommend WLAN server sync.

• You can indeed. However, please keep in mind that this won't keep your Android and Mac in sync with each other. Syncing with a local folder means that your Android will have one set of data, and your Mac will have another set of data moving forward.

• Sorry for the confusion, @1passworduser9999. It looks like your vault is in OPVault format. 1Password on Android can only read that format using Dropbox or WLAN server sync, which is why you aren't able to sync with it from local storage.

If you prefer not to sync your Mac and Android, then you can convert the vault to Agile Keychain format in order to sync on Android. To do so, launch 1Password on Mac and select Help > Tools and uncheck Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync. This will allow you to create a 1Password.agilekeychain folder on the Mac instead. Transfer that folder to your Android device, and you should be able to sync with it using local storage sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1passworduser9999: I'm not sure what happened with your post (it only contains a period), but please let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.