Thanks
Alex

Comments

• StefanK
    StefanK
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, fully agree.

We use 1Password since more than two years now and have it on all our devices (MacBooks, iPhones and iPad). As we don't use any "public" cloud services, a sync option with WebDAV would be highly appreciated.
    This would increase the WAF significantly as the MacBook doesn't need to be started to do syncing between the devices.

In general: Thanks to the whole AgileBits team for an awesome piece of software! Cannot image how life was before migrating all our password databases into 1Password.

THX
    Stefan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alba85 and @StefanK,

Thank you both very much for taking the time to let us know you'd like WebDAV Sync to be supported in 1Password! I can't make any promises about if or when that would happen, but I can forward your request to our developers to let them know. I believe they've looked into this in the past but ran into some significant performance and reliability issues. But if things have changed since then, perhaps they'll look into it again.

Thanks again for letting us know. And @StefanK, thank you very much for the kind words - we want our customers to enjoy using 1Password as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

+1 for WebDAV sync. A password manager needs a trusted sync storage.
    /Edit: I am a bit upset that the original WebDAV feature request topic has been closed: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/23755/feature-requst-sync-with-private-cloud-e-g-via-webdav/p2

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Vote counted. Thanks, @Hessijames!

Just to be clear about that previous thread: threads are closed automatically after a period of inactivity. I suspect that's what happened there, but that's why it's always possible to create new ones. :)

At the moment, we do support Folder Sync which you can use to sync your data however you wish. We don't recommend attempting to store data directly on a network volumes (LAN or WAN), however you can use a number of different solutions to sync the data from the local folder you designate to a remote server. More details can be found in the User Guide:

1Password for Mac: Folder Sync

We are also focused at this time on improving 1Password for Teams which involves trusted storage. You can read all the details in our white paper:

1Password for Teams: Security Design

I hope that helps a bit at the moment while WebDAV is not currently supported. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    Options

@khad
    Thank you for keeping an eye on this topic.

At the moment, we do support Folder Sync which you can use to sync your data however you wish.

Except for iOS devices. So it is a solution for a different, significantly smaller problem.

We are also focused at this time on improving 1Password for Teams which involves trusted storage.

After a cursory read of the paper it seems that even 1Password for Teams uses a centralized (AWS) server infrastructure rented by AgileBits for all customers/teams. This is not exactly what the WebDAV requirement was about. You may argue that considering your "trust the math" principle the data would be perfectly safe even if the storage was compromised. But this is only half of the truth, "trust the implementation" is the other (and bigger) one. I think, the 1Password flaw used in Hashcat shows that a perfect implementation is not guaranteed which is especially the case if the main focus is usability.

Patrick

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Except for iOS devices. So it is a solution for a different, significantly smaller problem.

Indeed. This is the Mac forum category, so I was focused on 1Password for Mac. As mentioned in the aforelinked section of the User Guide:

It is only possible to use Folder Sync on computers not mobile devices. Combine it with Wi-Fi Sync for a complete local sync solution.

After a cursory read of the paper it seems that even 1Password for Teams uses a centralized (AWS) server infrastructure rented by AgileBits for all customers/teams. This is not exactly what the WebDAV requirement was about. You may argue that considering your "trust the math" principle the data would be perfectly safe even if the storage was compromised. But this is only half of the truth, "trust the implementation" is the other (and bigger) one. I think, the 1Password flaw used in Hashcat shows that a perfect implementation is not guaranteed which is especially the case if the main focus is usability.

Perhaps it was off topic to bring it up. I only mentioned 1Password for Teams as it (1) is where our current focus lies and (2) offers many other benefits beyond a simple "dumb storage" solution. Many folks already beta testing it were once interested in WebDAV and see 1Password for Teams as a solution that works well for them. If it doesn't work well for your particular needs, I completely understand that. We can set it aside. I brought it up for the sake of completeness.

With regard to the PBKDF2 flaw and hashcat, it was a bit more complicated than one may get the impression from reading your quick summary. For anyone else reading coming across this thread in the future who may be interested in the details of that issue from April 2013:

On hashcat and strong Master Passwords as your best protection

Thanks again for letting us know you are interested in WebDAV as an option on iOS! I'm going to move this thread to the iOS category since that's where the feature would need to be implemented.

Don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!

• sebastian_
    sebastian_
    Community Member
    Options

+1 webdav support. It is clearly needed!!!
    Are there any news about it?

• sebastian_
    sebastian_
    Community Member
    Options

+1 webdav support! Like to have my data on my own sever, as it is also necessary for sensitive data. Why cannot be there a (rather simple) integration of WEBDAV?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sebastian_,

Thanks for letting us know you're also interested in that! I noticed you also asked about this in a different thread - I moved that to this discussion so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there. I hope you don't mind!

I'm not sure if you've had the chance to read through our previous replies in this thread or in the other one, but you can find some good information that I think should answer your questions. In particular, please make sure you check out this reply from Dave, as well as this other reply from Dave. I think he really does a great job of answering this, but if there's something you'd like us to clarify about what he said, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Croc
    Croc
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for WebDAV sync

In our company was recently the decision between 1Password or Enpass for nearly 200 devices with Windows, iOS and Android. Eventually Enpass won because of WebDAV support. The use of cloud-based services like Dropbox, iCloud is forbidden in the company.

I was sad :'( about it, because at home I currently use 1Password on OS X, iOS, Android and Windows. But I also have to admit that WebDAV sync is cool.
    The example shows that the WebDAV sync does have commercial potential. AgileBits, come on... ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Croc,

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback about that! I'm very sorry to hear your company decided not to go with 1Password due to its policy on sync services like Dropbox and iCloud. Out of curiosity, did your company look into our new 1Password Teams service? That uses our own secure servers instead of depending on Dropbox or iCloud. I'm not sure if your company would have considered that to be in the same category of "cloud-based services", though.

The example shows that the WebDAV sync does have commercial potential.

Absolutely! But unfortunately that's not the issue here. We've already tried implementing WebDAV Sync and it didn't work out well. In my previous reply (above) I gave a few links to another thread where this is discussed in more detail. If you're interested, this reply from Dave and this other reply from Dave (both from the aforementioned discussion) explain more about that.

I can still let our developers know you're interested in WebDAV sync and why. We never say never, so who knows, maybe one day it will be a possibility. Thanks again for letting us know! I'm really glad to hear you're a big fan of 1Password on your personal computers & mobile devices. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• gsender
    gsender
    Community Member
    Options

To comply with data security all sensitive data has to stay in the european union. Neither Dropbox nor your server can be used under this rule.

My preferred service is HiDrive (https://www.free-hidrive.com) which located in Germany and can legally be used. This service also offers Webdav. It seems to me this would be an ideal solution for synchronization with an accepted standard that complies with local law, is affordable and flexible to use.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @gsender! We do not currently have plans to add any additional sync storage providers, as we're currently focused on improving our existing offerings, but we may re-evaluate in the future.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@abuser1x

Customer votes for any given request are certainly taken into consideration, but they are not the only consideration.

Ben

• raizo7777
    raizo7777
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for WebDAV sync

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @raizo7777,

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll pass it along! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for WebDAV sync

waiting for years now :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @timokli,

Thanks for letting us know! I can’t promise anything of course, but I’ll add your vote. :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi folks,

While we almost never say 'never,' WebDAV is one place we have done so. Unfortunately we will not be implementing WebDAV sync in 1Password:

Feature request: Google Drive sync support - Page 2 — AgileBits Support Forum

From Rick, one of our lead developers:

If I actually thought we'd never do it, I'd close the issues in our tracker, and would simply tell you that it's never happening. Which is what I say whenever someone asks about WebDAV for sync. WebDAV is a bag of hurt.

I wish I had better news.

Ben

• Pete42
    Pete42
    Community Member
    Options

Too bad.

I moved my data to Enpass today. So far, it doesn't seem to have been a bad move, and if I don't find anything too obnoxious with it, I'll stay there and it's "good bye, 1Password" for good.

It has been a really good time, and I was actively recommending 1Password to friends and colleagues at every opportunity for a long time. But the business decisions of the last months (Subscription model, drive towards cloud sync) and decisions like this one not to support WebDAV have made it easier for me to try what the competition has to offer.

And, as a side note, WebDAV works perfectly with Enpass. Better than folder synchronisation with 1Password ever did, even with mobile devices.

Good luck, AgileBits.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Pete42. Sorry to see you go, but glad to hear it sounds as though you've found a password management solution that works for you.

Ben

• agentxp22
    agentxp22
    Community Member
    Options

I just switched over to Enpass too. Thanks @Pete42. I enjoyed using 1Password, but it is a bad move to not allow any server storage mechanism. Too much of a security risk. @Ben I recommend you guys rethink this one! It is a big deal.

• It is pretty rare that we actually say 'no' to something, so I think this one is pretty well decided. Sorry to see you go @agentxp22, but I understand this is a make or break feature for you.

Ben

• webdav_sync
    webdav_sync
    Community Member
    Options

I also switched to Enpass, because AgileBits is unable to sync with standard protocols.

It is not possible to sync 1Password via WebDAV. We tried it, and the performance was terrible, and so it was scrapped.

Many Developers can do WebDAV, but not AgileBits? Just have a look at Github, search for WebDAV. Or better search for buttercup-mobile. You get some source code.

I hope you do security better than not being able to use a simple standard protocol like WebDAV.

• webse
    webse
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for WebDAV sync

• Ben
    Options

Hi @webse,

We are not considering additional sync options for 1Password. Our focus is on making 1Password.com the best option available. Sorry I don’t have the answer you may have been hoping for.

Ben

• kip82
    kip82
    Community Member
    Options

I switched to enpass, too .. after >6yrs using 1password ..

Many Developers can do WebDAV, but not AgileBits? Just have a look at Github, search for WebDAV. Or better search for buttercup-
    mobile. You get some source code.

I hope you do security better than not being able to use a simple standard protocol like WebDAV.

It's not that they don't can, it's that they don't want.

• webdav_sync
    webdav_sync
    Community Member
    Options

Personal new year resolution for 2019
    [x] Replace 1Password with Enpass (checked)

Today released Enpass 6.0 supports now multiple vaults and that's the reason to switch completely. Had running Enpass 5 only at work, because 1Password can't do WebDAV and at work WiFi sync doesn't work with LAN connected Mac (different networks).

All in all thanks for the first few years! 1Password was one of the reason to switch to OS X. But sadly your business moved into a complete other direction. I wish for you, you always have enough naive users for your business (cloud + subscription)

This discussion has been closed.