Chrome extension disabling - yet another case. Fix required

Every time I open Chrome (latest version) on OSX 10.9.5 my 1password extension is disabled and says: "This extension violates the Chrome Web Store policy."

It must be manually re-enabled to work again. I’m aware my OS is old but I need it to run some legacy software.

I’ve read a few threads stating that your extension can’t be compatible with future browser updates. If that’s the case there is something amiss with your approach. I’ve never seen an extension behave like this and certainly not a paid one. You should support 'legacy' software rather than try to extract further funds from paying customers.

As a side note I haven’t been impressed with the constant nag screen telling me to upgrade to version 4 when I purchased a full license for the version I have. You should take a look at that business model and prevent paying customers from such nag screens (and certainly from the need to pay for upgrades just to have the damn software function at all).

Be more transparent with your positioning in the marketplace and re-think your approach to not alienate your paying customers by seeking perpetual upgrade fees through nagging and eventual inoperability. Given my experience, there is zero motivation to pay again to use version 4. Actively seeking alternatives for personal and business use. Clearly I'm not the only unimpressed customer in the same situation.

If you can help with the constant disabling of your extension that would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arebee: Thanks for reaching out. While I appreciate your frustration, we want to keep things friendly on the forums, so please refrain from using abusive language of any kind.

Here in the forums we do try to edit user content as little as possible, but on occasion we are forced to make a judgement call. While it's quite understandable that you're frustrated at the moment, we still need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

I’m sorry for the trouble you're having, but let's be real: if our only goal was to "extract further funds from paying customers" we'd have a solution for your compatibility problem, rather than giving away 1Password for Mac versions 5 and 6 as free upgrades to people who purchased 2012's 1Password 4. You chose not to upgrade, which is fine, and though that would have gotten you some more mileage out of Mavericks, with recent browser changes 1Password 4 cannot work there either.

The reality is that 1Password 3 hasn't changed, but you're expecting it to work the same with OS and browser releases which did not exist until long after 1Password 3 was discontinued. It sounds like you're aware that Chrome's polices have changed in the intervening years, but in your frustration you're blaming that on us in spite of the fact that there's no way we could have foreseen that years ago. Unfortunately we cannot dictate terms to Google, and it is not within our power to stop Chrome from disabling an extension — 1Password or otherwise.

You can't expect any software to work forever unless you continue using the same software and hardware with it, frozen in time. The version 3 extension still works just fine with Chrome 20 or whatever. You're probably wondering why we don't just update it, but we have: that's the extension we're using now, but that works with current versions of macOS, not old ones which are not supported by Apple, or with 1Password, which the extension depends on to function. 1Password 3 doesn't now anything about how to interact with the new extension because that app was created in 2009.

Ultimately we're very transparent about our position: we're an independent company making security software, and there's only someone here to reply to you because we charge sustainable prices for our work. Running any legacy app on an outdated OS brings with it tradeoffs, not least of which you're longer receiving security updates from Apple for years now — which is sort of counterproductive to using any software for your security. I understand why you're frustrated, but this is the path you've chosen, not one which we have chosen for you.

Regarding the "nag screen" (which it isn't, but you're frustrated, so I get where you're coming from), that can be dismissed permanently. We have a lot of people do this and then wonder years later why they were not notified about 1Password 4. But if that isn't working on your system for some reason, it's possible that some support files are damaged and the preference cannot be saved. Backing up your vault to an external drive and using a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password before installing a fresh copy should help. But it's also possible that it's some issue with later versions of OS X, since 1Password 3 was last designed and tested only with Snow Leopard and Lion.

In the end, we're here to help, but that won't mean futilely trying to make legacy software work with something it wasn't designed to, or getting into fights we can't win with other companies who are just doing their best to improve security by moving forward. Stagnation is the biggest risk, after all, in an ever-changing security landscape. You can continue using the software you paid for indefinitely, and it will continue to work with the things it was designed to; but otherwise, if and when you're ready to make the jump to a newer version, shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll be glad to assist you in that transition. However, if there's another app out there that better serves your needs, there's nothing wrong with using that — especially if it inspires you to get up to date. We'd rather you use a competitor's product than nothing at all. Stay safe out there.

• barnfry
    barnfry
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

@brenty - I came to this page as another frustrated 1Password 3/Google Chrome user, and I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your reasoned and sensible reply to the OP. I wish the things I bought would work forever, regardless of other changing circumstances, but I get that it's unrealistic. I've appreciated having 1Password for many years, I guess it's time to reinvest in an upgrade.

• arebee
    arebee
    Community Member

Wow. You consider my post to contain abusive language, link to your forum guidelines and continue to further patronise me? Given the highly defensive tone of your response and the allusion to imagined 'abuse', you've sure turned me away from your products forever. Clearly this issue has struck a chord with you (and many disgruntled customers) but I I don't seek support and offer my perspective as a paying customer to be accused of abuse because you don't like the substance of my submission, which for the record contains nothing resembling 'abuse'. As a final piece of friendly customer feedback, I'd suggest reviewing your approach to customer service. Good luck with your future endeavours.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I came to this page as another frustrated 1Password 3/Google Chrome user, and I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your reasoned and sensible reply to the OP. I wish the things I bought would work forever, regardless of other changing circumstances, but I get that it's unrealistic. I've appreciated having 1Password for many years, I guess it's time to reinvest in an upgrade.

@barnfry: Thanks for the kind words. I'm right there with you: if technology didn't keep marching forward, I would totally still be running Snow Leopard myself! Feel free to shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll be happy to help you migrate to a newer version when you're ready. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Wow. You consider my post to contain abusive language, link to your forum guidelines and continue to further patronise me?

@arebee: I'm sorry if you felt that was patronizing, but this is a support site and needs to be family-friendly. I hope you wouldn't (and doubt you would) use words like that with your kids.

Given the highly defensive tone of your response and the allusion to imagined 'abuse', you've sure turned me away from your products forever. Clearly this issue has struck a chord with you (and many disgruntled customers) but I I don't seek support and offer my perspective as a paying customer to be accused of abuse because you don't like the substance of my submission, which for the record contains nothing resembling 'abuse'.

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have a problem with the substance of your comments, only the tone and one of the words you chose to use. You haven't been censored, but I don't think keeping it civil is too much to ask.

As a final piece of friendly customer feedback, I'd suggest reviewing your approach to customer service. Good luck with your future endeavours.

Likewise, take care. Even if we disagree on what is an appropriate way to talk to strangers on a public support forum, I do hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful Christmas. :blush:

• arebee
    arebee
    Community Member

To reiterate, the original post clearly shows a complete absence of abusive or inappropriate language. I'd suggest that conflating your agitation about my issue with the language used to convey it isn't productive (nor is moralising about children). The original post is there for all to read.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, the whole thing is here for anyone to read. I think you're projecting. I'm not agitated. :blush:

• arebee
    arebee
    Community Member

Hey Brenty. Is there any way to update 1password s for a one-off fee rather than the subscription based model? I'm going to update my OS and potentially 1password. Should I email support@1password.com? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arebee: 1Password.com memberships are generally recommended as they're the best experience and therefore the best option for most people, but standalone licenses for 1Password for Mac are still available on request as well. Definitely shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your receipt(s) and the OS you'll be upgrading to, and post the Support ID here so we can go over the options and get back to you more quickly.

This discussion has been closed.