Am I on 1password.eu?

jim_knop_123
jim_knop_123
Community Member

Hello there,

I just opened up a family account, and while everything seems to be working fine, I can not log in to 1password.eu via browser (auth data not accepted).

Where is my data stored? I am living in the EU and I do not want my data to leave it.

Regards
Jim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Jim,

You can use the "Find my account" link on the sign-in page on both .eu and .com:

https://my.1password.eu/signin
    https://my.1password.com/signin

• jim_knop_123
    jim_knop_123
    Community Member

Hi roustem,

yeah, but if I do this on my.1password.eu, the e-mail tells me that there is no account with my e-mail-address registered.

Regards
    Jim

• jim_knop_123
    jim_knop_123
    Community Member

PS: If my account is available on both domains, where does my data reside?

• It means that you have two different accounts. The domains are completely separate from one another.

• jim_knop_123
    jim_knop_123
    Community Member

OK, so now I deleted the account on .com and opened one on .eu.

Regards
    Jim

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

It really makes no difference where your data is stored @jim_knop_123

In an internet connected world criminals don't care where your data is stored. It's no more or no less secure wherever it's kept and governments worldwide can demand 1Password supply any data held.

1Password encrypts everything so data security isn't an issue but some people are comforted by the false belief (security theater) of believing their data is safer within a particular jurisdiction.

The only reason 1Password provides the ability to choose a particular jurisdiction is to keep company policy-makers happy: some businesses are legally prevented from using services outwith their region.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@darrenNZ: Indeed, I think it's probably going to be true that any of us personally may not care one way or the other, but unfortunately for some people's businesses it matters due to regulations. So 1Password.eu and 1Password.ca are hosted in Germany and Canada respectively, completely separate from each other and from 1Password.com.

And since it's certainly true that laws and jurisdictions (and administrations...and regimes) can change over time, we make sure we don't have the kind of information that would be useful to anyone targeting 1Password users, whether that be malicious hackers or governments, and that makes 1Password a much less interesting target for both:

Information for Law Enforcement

To be clear, it is within our power to turn over encrypted data, but there is a high bar that must be met before we will even do that, in accordance with Canadian Law. And this, to me, is the most important thing as a 1Password user myself:

Secure Data is owned exclusively by our customers and we have no plaintext access to this information. This means we have no means by which we are capable of providing decrypted information which may be stored in 1Password account vaults.

That applies no matter how any of us choose to use 1Password, so that's one less thing to have to worry about at least. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.