Ad Blockers can see our passwords?

tokyo12
tokyo12
Community Member

Hello,

I was wondering if the usage of ad blockers, ghostery in particular, could undo the good work we do using 1password in that they can see our passwords?

Regards.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.5 (685004) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.3.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @tokyo12,

Any browser extension can read the contents of the webpage you're looking at. It's how 1Password works, after all. But you're right that malicious extensions could use this knowledge for bad and read passwords that 1Password fills after it has filled it.

Rick

• It's changed my behavior with extensions a fair bit, though I kept Grammarly, for example, which is designed to read everything I type, I turn it off on login pages and hope they mean it (and they claim not to read password fields). I hope they are telling the truth.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I really like using 1Password with Chrome since it's so easy to have a separate profile there with nothing but 1Password in it. Then I can have whatever I want in another without having to worry about ominous permissions like "Read and change all of your data on the websites you visit". Obviously 1Password needs this in order to save and fill logins...but many things as silly as extensions to customize YouTube request this as well. :unamused:

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

You could always use Google Incognito mode for 1Password; select the option under the Extensions Settings page to "Allow in incognito". Don't allow any other extensions in incognito.

Then, to get a secure environment for 1Password, press Ctrl + Shift + N (or use the menu) to load a new incognito page. All other extensions will be disabled and you don't need to use multiple profiles.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

You could always use Google Incognito mode for 1Password; select the option under the Extensions Settings page to "Allow in incognito". Don't allow any other extensions in incognito.
    Then, to get a secure environment for 1Password, press Ctrl + Shift + N (or use the menu) to load a new incognito page. All other extensions will be disabled and you don't need to use multiple profiles.

@darrenNZ: That's an excellent point! I do like websites to remember me usually, though, and I also prefer to have a "clean" Chrome profile so I know any time I'm using that profile nothing else is involved.

Then again, this is probably just me. I use a silly dark theme, so I can't tell the difference between incognito and normal windows at a glance. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.