Storing files in 1Password not numeral in Password item

Options
Jan_Pieter_Re
Jan_Pieter_Re
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

I want to store a number of files in 1Password, and match them with 1 specific password entry. The list of files in my password entry is random, instead of numerical. The list of files in the category "Documents" in 1Password is stored in numerical order. So why is it not in both places in 1Password the same?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.5 (685003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Storing order for files not numeral

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jan_Pieter_Re: Thanks for reaching out. I'm a bit confused though. Documents are a 1Password.com feature. But you listed "iCloud" as your sync type in your post. Can you tell me which you're using, and describe for me what you're trying to do?

• Jan_Pieter_Re
    Jan_Pieter_Re
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for you post. I sync my vaults with iCloud between my mac and iPhones, with a Family-plan. I want to save a lot of files, with almost the same name, only the running number and year are different. On my mac they are listed in numerical order. When I copy-paste these files into 1Password, local on my mac, they do appear in numerical order in the category Documents and but not in the item where I copied them. (See both pictures. Picture 1: listing in category Documents. Picture 2: listing in an item of logins.) Cannot upload the 2 pictures, both 56kb big, but don't know why I can't upload them. I think the order in the item (Logins or Bankaccounts or ...) is being set by the order in which they were completely copied in the item it self, so the smaller files first and the bigger files later. This is not handy, I don't want to scroll down a whole list of files to find the right one.

• Jan_Pieter_Re
    Jan_Pieter_Re
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

@brenty: Here is one off two foto's

• Jan_Pieter_Re
    Jan_Pieter_Re
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: And yes, here is the second one!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi @Jan_Pieter_Re

Thanks for the additional explanation. I think some of the confusion is coming from this idea:

I sync my vaults with iCloud between my mac and iPhones, with a Family-plan.

The parts I bolded are contradictory. 1Password Familes is an entirely 1st party service. It does not and cannot use iCloud. When storing your 1Password data in any sort of 1Password.com membership (including 1Password Families) your 1Password data is stored on 1Password.com, not any 3rd party service including iCloud.

Please understand we’re not simply arguing semantics here. The distinction is important because 1Password handles files within its database very differently depending on if you’re using 1Password with a membership, or if you are using it standalone (e.x. by syncing with iCloud). In order to give you the best advice possible here we need to have a clear understanding of which you’re using.

Based on the information you’ve provided it seems you’re using 1Password Families and not iCloud (at least for 1Password).

So, that said, 1Password was never intended to be a secure file storage solution. We’ve recently added some level of document management with the Documents category introduced for 1Password memberships, but admittedly even this is fairly basic as far as actual file management is concerned. If you’re looking for more robust file storage I might suggest looking into a solution that was built for that purpose. We are certainly interested in building out the Documents category to better meet the demands of customers, but at the end of the day 1Password is a password manager and not a secure file vault. It will likely never be as fully featured with regards to storing files as a tool built for the specific purpose of doing that would.

If you add a Document as a related item / linked item the related items list appears in the order the items were linked. E.x.:

1. Create a Login item titled Test Login for Jan_Pieter_Re
    2. Use the related items feature to add three Document items:
      Item C |
      Item A |
      Item B
    3. If you add them in the order listed above, that is the order in which they will be listed on Test Login For Jan_Pieter_Re, regardless of how they would appear in an alphabetical listing based on their titles.

So, if you want the items to appear in alphabetical order, you’ll need to add them in alphabetical order.

Note that Documents do not have to be linked to other items. They can exist on their own. You can create tags associated with them too. So if for example you wanted to store a bunch of bank statements in 1Password you could upload them all to the Documents category and then tag them all as “bank statements.” Then when you view the bank statements tag you can sort that using all of the normal methods that tags offer for sorting.

I hope that helps! Merry Christmas.

Ben

• Jan_Pieter_Re
    Jan_Pieter_Re
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your rapid answer. Yes I do understand how it is done. I expected that explanation for the order in which the files were seen in 1Password. I will copy the file one-by-one next time.

Thanks and also a Merry Christmas to you and everyone at AgileBits. Thanks for making this great app for all of us!!!!

Jan Pieter

• Ben
    Options

You’re most welcome, @Jan_Pieter_Re. Thank you for the kind words. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Jan_Pieter_Re
    Jan_Pieter_Re
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben: Sorry wrong header in my replay. :(

Yes I will contact if I need some more help!!

Thx to you Ben

Jan Pieter

• Ben
    Options

No worries. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.