Cannot add addition multi-line for software keys?

I was surprised today when I went to add a new field to one of my software licenses and I could not add the key (it is 5 lines). So whats the deal? Any idea why this doesn't work?

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 6.8.488
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Native
Referrer: forum-search:multiline

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ravensorb,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1:

I was not able to reproduce the issue you are describing on my side. I went ahead and created a new Software License item and the default license key field accepts multiple lines. Moreover, I was able to create a new field and it works there, too:

Could you please provide more info about the difficulties on your side? If you can, please share a screenshot of what you see on your side, so we could understand the issue better. Please do not forget to conceal any sensitive information that could be there. No need to share your passwords or anything like that.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• ravensorb
    ravensorb
    Community Member

Try putting a CR/LF in the field (copy paste multi-line text from notepad). It doesn't work for me.

• @ravensorb you are right, multiline works in license key field or in few others, but not everywhere. We'll make sure next update will have it working. Thanks for bringing this up and Merry Xmas!

• ravensorb
    ravensorb
    Community Member

Thanks!

• :+1: :chuffed:

• MikeT
    edited December 2017

Hi @ravensorb,

I'd like to clarify a few things, 1Password does not support multi-line text fields other than the secure note fields and a few special fields in specific templates. You'll have to paste into the note field if you want muiti-line support.

There's no change coming in the next update regarding this specific feature, there was some misunderstanding but this is correct behavior in order to ensure 1Password is consistent across all platforms. We'll pass on a request on your behalf to make the text field support multi-line, so all 1Password apps can support it.

• ravensorb
    ravensorb
    Community Member

This is unfortunate. It basically makes 1password unusable for almost 90% of my license keys.

• MikeT
    edited December 2017

Hi @ravensorb,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Could you explain the use case behind needing a custom text field to store multi-line text instead of using the flexible note field that can grow to fit any data?

This discussion has been closed.