MrC conversion utility for passworddepot

paul_hopkins
paul_hopkins
Community Member

I get the following error message when I try to run the converter:

Can't locate Utils/PIF.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Utils::PIF module) (@INC contains: C:/myper1/perl/site/lib C:/myper1/perl/vendor/lib C:/myper1/perl/lib) at convert_to_1p4.pl line 15.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at convert_to_1p4.pl line 15.

Here is my command line command:

perl convert_to_1p4.pl passworddepot -v ..\pm_export.xml

The folder convert_to_1p4 nd the file pm_export.xml are both on my desktop.

What do I need to do next?

1Password Version: 6.8.488
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:converter MrC

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paul_hopkins ,

Please use the 1.10 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post of the converter suite thread. It resolves an issue created by the latest distribution of Perl.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

great, thanks! I've downloaded and unzipped version 1.10 (Testing Bits).

Do I need to rerun any of the Perl-related steps from section 3 of the README document, or am I good to go and only need to run the conversion as per section 4?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paul_hopkins ,

No need to rerun the Perl-related steps. Just the converter step.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

I'm now getting a message I didn't get before:

perl command incorrectly written or could not be found

Don't understand why I didn't get such a fundamental message before...and not sure what to do --> run perl from the myper1 folder?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2017

@paul_hopkins

This just means you are not currently in the correct directory. Be sure you are in the convert_to_1p4 directory on your Desktop in the command shell before you run your converter command:

cd %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\convert_to_1p4

and then run your conversion:

perl convert_to_1p4.pl passworddepot -v ..\pm_export.xml

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

I'm in the convert_to_1p4 directory, but am still getting the same message

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paul_hopkins ,

Did you launch the portable_shell.bat script to start up the command window, and then do the cd command?

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

I did, yes. I will run it again.

The README document doesn't mention the need to change directory. I'll do that and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help so far, @MrC . It's been yeeeeears since I did anything in a DOS window :-)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@paul_hopkins ,

The change of directory is done for you by the install_modules.bat script, which you've already run. It presumes everything will install and it will change for you. However, since you had to replace your convert_to_1p4 folder with a new one, you need to do it manually.

Exit your command window. Re-launch the portable_shell.bat file to launch a new command window. Change directories as per above, and then re-try the conversion.

I presume you deleted the old convert_to_1p4 folder, and then replaced it with the 1.10 version after the unzip.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

deleted the comment, as it was duplicate

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

when I rerun the install_modules.bat script, I get the message:

command cpan written incorrectly or cannot be found

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

I presume you deleted the old convert_to_1p4 folder, and then replaced it with the 1.10 version after the unzip.

I did.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

Exit your command window. Re-launch the portable_shell.bat file to launch a new command window. Change directories as per above, and then re-try the conversion.

OK, I'll do that then.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

success! Thanks again!

Now to import the items into 1Password - is there anything I should do differently to the description in the README document, given that I have been using the 1.10 Testing Bits version?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2017

You're welcome @paul_hopkins.

In case you are curious what the issue was, after you replaced your convert_to_1p4 folder, but still had the old command window open and were in that directory, the directory in the command shell was "stale" and no longer usable. By quitting the command shell, you were able to change directories into the new one (you could have just changed directories manually out and back in, but the way I described was the simplest to describe).

Just import the generated .1pif file on your Desktop into 1Password to see how the conversion and import worked out.

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

brilliant, it all worked: 340 items now in 1Password!

Thanks for the explanation re: the "staleness" of the command shell. That makes sense.

Now time to clean up!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2017

@paul_hopkins ,

Great. If you find that you don't like the extra fields in the Notes area, you can also run the converter with the --addfields option to place any extra fields into custom fields within 1Password. You can read about this option in the README.pdf file.

Enjoy 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paul_hopkins: One thing I want to add is that custom fields won't work for filling. That may not matter to you, as you may just prefer not to have them stored in the Notes section, but I thought I should mention it in case that helps you decide. :)

• paul_hopkins
    paul_hopkins
    Community Member

thanks, @brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. Here if you have any questions! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.