PayPal password change update problem

This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I generate passwords with 1Password X?.

Comments

• sgruhier
    sgruhier
    Community Member

Hi,
    I just upgrade my account to a family plan to add my daughter. I told her she has to use secure passwords. But this new version without the old password generator menu I have a big issue. I asked her to use 1Password because she has a paypal account. But the generated password doesn't work on paypal with any explanations from paypal!! Hard to convince family to switch to 1password if the first try is a fail :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sgruhier: Thanks for reaching out! I hope you don't mind, but since your issue isn't related to the discussion you posted in, I've split you off into a new one.

I'm sorry for the trouble there. Currently, 1Password X is not able to specify the password length, so that seems to be causing some trouble. Additionally, it seems like PayPal may also be expecting the user to manually enter the password, so that 1Password X filling it is not recognized. I was able to reproduce this and file an issue so we'll see what we can do to improve this.

In the mean time, as a workaround, you can generate a password in a Login item in the 1Password.com web interface and then copy and paste it to change the password on PayPal's site. Unhelpfully, they don't mention anything about password requirements/restrictions, but they appear to accept a maximum of 20 characters with letters, numbers, and symbols of any kind. I hope this helps. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

ref: b5x-206

• sgruhier
    sgruhier
    Community Member

Thanks for you fast answers! As usual paypal website is still a pain even with there new version. No clear error message is a very bad UX.
    Anyway. I'll do as you suggest. As many other people, I really miss that "password generator" in 1Password :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sgruhier: Well, it does look kinda pretty. I'll give em that! :lol:

I'm sorry to not have something better to offer you right now, but that should work for you while we work to improve 1Password X — both with regard to handling cases like this better, and adding a full password generator in the future to make working around them easier. Cheers! :)

• sgruhier
    sgruhier
    Community Member

Yes, we definitively need this feature back. I just found another website (French government website) where your generated password doesn't fit web site password constraints.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep. There are a lot of them out there. To be clear, we didn't remove anything from 1Password X; it's brand new (about a month old). We'll be adding more features as we go, but the native apps + extensions have the same features they always have if you prefer that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.