my 1Password now says "Read Only" and it wants me to purchase a license. What's going on?

Options
jjmitch
jjmitch
Community Member

Just today my 1Password says "Read Only mode. Click here to buy." What is going on? I have had a valid license for several years.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:my 1Password now says "Read Only" and it wants me to purchase a license. What's going on?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jjmitch,

“Read only mode” is what the version of 1Password downloaded from the Mac App Store shows if you haven’t purchased 1Password using the Apple ID that you were signed into when you installed 1Password.

If you have a license that was purchased from our store then you cannot use that with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. You’d need to download 1Password from us instead:

How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

I will do as you say, but it worked for the past several years on the same computer

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

But it worked for the past several years on the same computer

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

I just downloaded it and installed it with the extension and it still says "Read Only Mode. Click to buy"

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Ben - are you there?
    I can give you my license # if you need.
    My phone app seems to be working

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

Looks to me like today's update has some bugs - what am I to do?

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

I do not recall if the original purchase was through Agile Bits or the App store -please get back to me so that I can have a fully functioning version of 1Password,
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jjmitch: Sorry for the confusion. This is a support forum, not a chat room, so there will be some delay before you get a response, especially as we reply to others who have been waiting longer. :blush:

To be clear, "read-only" means that you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password, and that the App Store is not recognizing that you've purchased it. That could mean that you didn't purchase it there at all, or that you did so using a different Apple ID that the one you're using to install and use it. We have no way of knowing. Only you and Apple will know, as the App Store is run by them, and you'll have an email receipt of your purchase regardless of when you whee you bought 1Password. Please check your records, but DO NOT post sensitive information here, as this is a public forum.

However, if what you have is a "license number", that is not valid for the Mac App Store version of 1Password. App Store purchases do not use licenses at all, as the purchase is tied to your Apple ID; and a "license number" is used for 1Password for Mac versions 1 through 3, not 4, 5, or 6. So if that's all you have, it will not work with the current version. In that case, I'd encourage you to contact us via email at support@1password.com with a copy of your receipt(s), and post the Support ID you receive here so we can help you find the best option for you to upgrade. Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks - It turns out that I found my receipt with license number, which means that I must have purchased it through AgileBits. I sent an email to your support requesting details on how I can purchase an upgrade since my version was 1Password 3. Ideally, I would like to purchase a license subscription so that I always have the latest version and it is automatically upgraded. I made that request in an email.

ref: YLS-82779-311

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi @jjmitch -- I've replied to you via email; let's keep the conversation going over there, instead of in two places at once. :)

ref: YLS-82779-311

• jjmitch
    jjmitch
    Community Member
    Options

ok - thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jjmitch :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.