To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password v 1 for PC

jlr
jlr
Community Member

My mother has 1password v 1 for PC. It's not working as it should. How do I get her to 1Password 6? She's currently using her 1password as a sort-of spreadsheet to hold all her passwords. It isn't working as it should. Might you help guide me to help her please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password version 1

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jlr: We'll be happy to help! 1Password 6 is included in a 1Password.com membership, which gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. And you may want to consider a 1Password Families plan, for a few reasons:

• It's easy to share vaults securely, so you can each give each other access to important information that might be needed in an emergency.
    • Automatic offsite backup and item history are included, so losing your devices doesn't mean losing your data.
    • Family Organizers can perform account recovery for other family members if they forget their Master Password or other account credentials.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jlr
    jlr
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty. I'm afraid I still have a few questions. Although I'm FAR more tech savvy than my mom, I'm still a bit of a bumbler. My mother has no record or her license for the version she currently has. She only has her login password. As such, is there a way to migrate her current saved passwords to the new 1Password 6 when I sign her up for that? I'm traveling with her and have only my own laptop (upon which I have my own 1Password 6). Is there a way to do this while I'm traveling or do I need to wait until I'm in her home and at her computer? Again, I'm so sorry for my ineptitude in this area. Even though I have my own 1Password account it's part of my own family's family plan leaving me pretty ignorant of how it works. Thank you again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Hi @jlr -- so, your mother's copy of 1Password is quite old at this point, as is the format her 1Password data is in, as a result. So, there's a few steps you'll want to take:

• Download the successor to version 1 (which your mom is using). It's 1Password 4 for Windows, and you can get the most-recent version here.
    • Install 1Password 4 for Windows and open the same Agile Keychain your mother was using for her version 1 install. This will update some - but not all - of the format of each item.
    • From there, you'll want to open every item in Edit. You don't actually need to edit the items, just click the Edit button on every item, then click Save. This will update the rest of the metadata that will insure a smooth import into 1Password 6 for Windows and a 1password.com account.
    • Make sure your mom has created a 1password.com account by visiting the main 1Password sign-up page and signing up.
    • Save the Emergency Kit (print it out or save it as a PDF on her computer).
    • Visit our downloads page and download 1Password 6 for Windows and launch it
    • Click on Scan Setup Code from the Welcome screen and use the Setup Code (looks like a QR code) from your mom's Emergency Kit, then type in the Master Password she chose for her new 1Password account.
    • Up at the very top-left of the main 1Password 6 for Windows app, click 1Password and then Import from the drop-down menu.
    • Click Agile Keychain or OPVault, and then click the "Select a Folder" to open a window to find the 1Password 4 for Windows Agile Keychain on your mom's PC.
    • Have your mom enter the Master Password she used in the past for her existing data (not the one she just created for her 1password.com account -- though these can be the same, potentially).
    • Click Import at the bottom.

That should get your mother's data imported into her new 1password.com account, which she can now access by launching this 1Password 6 for Windows app, or via the web at https://my.1password.com. Let us know how that goes for you!

• jlr
    jlr
    Community Member

Thank you so much for this detailed "how to". I'll tackle this upon our return to her computer and let you know how it goes!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlr - sounds like a plan. Good luck! :)

This discussion has been closed.