If I am using 1Password for OS X and need to use it on my Windows host do I need a new license ?

I have been using 1Password single license product for about 5+ years. I have a copy of it on my OS X laptop as well my iPhone and iPad, however as of recently I have a need to use it on a Windows host. Question is, do I need to spend again to get another license or I can somehow install and point the app to my vault ?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 685004
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:If I am using 1Password for OS X and need to use it on my windows host do I need a new license ?

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

Short answer: you can't.

AgileBits don't allow you to purchase a standalone licence for Windows.

Your best current choice is to buy an individual subscription for $2.99 per month and then sync the data from your Mac to the 1Password cloud. Then, install 1Password 6 for Windows and your data will appear.

The subscription includes free updates for all of the apps and you can install it on as many devices as you wish.

If this doesn't suit your needs, there's nothing you can do.

1Password have said they'll potentially introduce standalone licences for Windows when 1Password 7 is released but there's no timeframe and nothing definite.

• sipankh
    sipankh
    Community Member

Thank you, I appreciate the answer and suggestion. No I am not interested in purchasing this service and keeping my vault info on a server I have no control over.

• Hi @sipankh,

Thanks for writing in.

It depends on what license you bought, we did sell a bundle Mac+Windows license before we temporarily halted sales of 1Password 4 for Windows licenses as we have shifted our focus to 1Password 6/7 for Windows. If you did buy the bundled license, you can use the license in 1Password 4 for Windows that is available from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

If you're not sure, you can email us your license information at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll look it up for you.

As for 1Password 7 for Windows, it will have licensing and standalone vaults support, it is coming soon but no timeframe yet.

• sipankh
    sipankh
    Community Member

Thank you again for the follow-up. I just "upgraded" last night from 5 to 6.8.5 (what I recall, I purchased originally the ver 4). I was not allowed to really upgrade, rather it was full blown purchase. I will send an email about the whole thing soon to the suggested address. You can close this thread now. Again, thank you.

• Hi @sipankh,

That's definitely not right, 1Password 6 for macOS is a free upgrade for all 1Password 4 for MacOS or bundle license purchases. Please make sure to include that in your email, it sounded like maybe you may have accidentally switched between the Mac App Store purchase and our Web Store purchase?

This discussion has been closed.