New Update breaks Safari extension

MrBelm
MrBelm
Community Member

Today's update (1Password 6 Version 6.8.5 (685004), AgileBits Store) breaks the Safari extension. It still works in Chrome and Firefox, but doesn't respond to a click in Safari. The right-click dropdown menu version is also broken.

1Password Version: 6.8.5 (685004)
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrBelm: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Mac version 6.8.5 doesn't have any impact on the browser extensions, least of all Safari, so it sounds like there's something else going on on your system. Please remove the 1Password extension from Safari Preferences > Extensions, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let me know how it turns out!

• MrBelm
    MrBelm
    Community Member

That didn't work. I get a very unhelpful error message when I try to install the extension:

Again, 1 Password was working without problems until I updated, your denials to the contrary.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrBelm: Thanks for letting me know! That's sort of what I expected, but I didn't want to send you on a wild goose chase if my hunch was wrong. ;)

The problem is that the extension is either already installed still in Safari's support folder, or its extension database is corrupt, which is why it isn't letting you install it again. Please do the following:

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (Shift Command G) to open a Go to folder window.
    2. Use the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to the Trash.
    4. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/ or using a Spotlight search.
    5. Search for safari and right-click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.
    6. In Finder go to the following folder (using the same method as detailed in step 1) to go to ~/Library/Safari/
    7. Drag the entire Extensions folder to the Trash
    8. Then restart you Mac and Safari, which will recreate the folder and hopefully sort out any permissions issues as well

If you're still having trouble, this discussion in Apple's forums might help, or you may need to contact Apple directly for assistance. Let me know how it turns out!

• MrBelm
    MrBelm
    Community Member

That worked. Unfortunately, all of my extensions were deleted, so I have to re-install those that I can remember.

In the future, if you provide these instructions to others, suggest that they make a list of installed extensions before going through the procedure.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrBelm: If you followed the instructions exactly, they will still be in the Trash. You could drag them back, but I'd recommend using that only as a reference, installing a fresh copy of each if necessary. Just keep in mind that every extension you install has the potential to access any information you view and/or fill on websites, including what you do with 1Password. Choose wisely which you trust.

This discussion has been closed.