Transfer Private Vault to New Computer

audimackid
audimackid
Community Member

I migrated from an individual 1Password account to a Family plan a few years ago. On my iMac, I have a private vault (Primary) that I do not share with the family members, and I don't sync online. I have just purchased a new computer (iMac Pro) and would like to move the private vault from the iMac to the iMac Pro. I want to keep this vault private and only on my iMac Pro. I tried exporting the files to a folder on a USB drive, and then importing them onto the iMac Pro, but I couldn't figure out how to make a new private vault on the iMac Pro. I also tried copying the entire 1Password 4 folder from the Library folder on the iMac to the corresponding Library folder on the iMac Pro (this has worked in the past), but that didn't work.

On my iMac, when I open Preferences in 1Password, there is Sync, WLAN Server, and Backup. These do not appear under Preferences on the iMac Pro. Is that because there is no private vault on the iMac Pro?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @audimackid - I moved your thread over here to Mac because it's not really about 1Password Families, I hope that's OK. If you want to have a local Primary vault on your shiny new iMac Pro, you'll need to do a few things, but first I need to ask you one question. Have you installed 1Password onto your new iMac Pro and if so what happens when you launch it? Please don't DO anything, just let me know what you see (if you've installed it already).

• audimackid
    audimackid
    Community Member

I did install it 1Password on my iMac Pro. It looks normal to me.

I guess when I moved the 1Password 4 folder from the Library folder on my old iMac to the Library folder on my new iMac Pro, I didn't reboot. Now that I have rebooted, when I open 1Password on my iMac Pro, my Primary (private) vault is there along with all of the files.

Is there something else I need to do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

Probably not. If you've got all of your data there and your settings (sync, etc.) configured, you should be good to go. But we're here if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

• audimackid
    audimackid
    Community Member

Thanks. I have a follow-up question. For the vaults (files) I transferred over from my old computer (iMac) by moving the 1Password 4 folder from my old computer (iMac) to my new computer (iMac Pro), I have a password for opening 1 Password that is not my master password. On all of my other computers on which I have installed 1Password, I need to use the master password to open 1Password. How do I set a password to open 1Password that is not the master password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@audimackid: 1Password only unlocks using the Master Password, so it sounds like there may be some confusion regarding how you've set things up. The Master Password of the first vault/account you setup in the app will be the one needed to unlock it. So all you need to do is change the Master Password there, or reset the app to set it up with any vaults/accounts in the order you'd like to use them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. And happy new year! :)

• audimackid
    audimackid
    Community Member

That explains it. The first vault I set up is from earlier versions of 1Password that is now a local vault outside of the 1Password family account. It has the password that is different from the Master Password and is only on my new computer (iMac Pro). That explains why I can open 1Password on the iMac Pro with a password that is not the Master Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep! Be sure to let us know if you need help getting anything else setup. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.