Subscribe using PayPal

I love and use 1password for years. With the iOS version I purchased the Pro features. Now I use the subscription to also use it on my MacBook Pro properly, etc. I have to pay a lot for an iOS subscription since I can't get a subscription via Agilebits, since the only option is creditcard. I don't have, and I don't want, a creditcard. I'd love to pay using PayPal instead. Could you please add support for PayPal? Creditcards aren't as common in Europe as they are in America.

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @Godjira

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We don’t currently have the facilities to accept PayPal for subscription payments, but thank you for letting us know that is something you’d be interested in having in the future.

Ben

• @Godjira you can use a debit card to subscribe to 1Password if you don't have a credit card.

I assume you use a debit card to make payments with via PayPal? If you do then there's no reason why that won't work with a 1Password susbcription!

• @darrenNZ I don't get this as an option subscribing for 1password on the Agilebits site. I'll try again in January when my current subscription ends.

• bundtkatebundtkate

AgileBits Team Member

@Godjira: The distinction between a credit and debit card is semantic, really. Although debit cards deduct money directly from your checking account, they're processed similarly to credit cards and most merchants can run debit cards as a credit card so long as they have a credit card company logo on them (at least here in the U.S.). If you peek at your debit card, I'd bet there's a good chance it'll say Visa or Mastercard on it. If it does, you should be able to use it to pay for your 1Password membership. I use my debit card to pay for my own Family account, so it's worth a try at least. :chuffed:

• @bundtkate Nope. I have a debit card from our bank, not from Visa or Mastercard. All it had is Maestro, but that's not considered a creditcard either.

I'll just have to wait for other payment methods than creditcards I guess. Till then I'll pay the €2 more using the App store subscription from Apple

• XIIIXIII
    edited December 2017

at least here in the U.S

Bingo! I believe AgileBits is a bit too US centric in this aspect...

In my country credit card usage is very low, while debit cards cannot be used as credit cards.

This Wikipedia article might help to get a broader perspective (it seems accurate for my country): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debit_card

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

The situation can get complicated. Here in the UK, the debit card issued by my bank has the bank's logo but also the logo of Visa Debit.

Are you SURE that your Maestro card does not work? That is, have you tried it or have you just assumed it doesn't work?

• I honestly never tried, but would be very surprised if this would work and yet it would not be common knowledge here.

One of the reasons I never tried is that the account number does not pass the Luhn algorithm and there is no CVC on the card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luhn_algorithm

• bundtkatebundtkate

AgileBits Team Member

@Godjira: I'm not going to claim any specific expertise here, but Maestro seems to be owned by MasterCard (maestro translates to master, if I'm recalling my limited Spanish properly), so it may well be you can use this card as a credit card. @XIII's article pointed out that their logo simply replaced some regional brands in certain counties, however, so it looks like this may not be an absolute guarantee.

Also, you mentioned paying an extra €2 to use an Apple subscription. This may not be the reason you're seeing a higher price, but in the not-too-distant past, only monthly was available through Apple, which did mean you couldn't get the annual discount. You can now choose an annual Apple subscription if you'd like, so that may be worth a look! :chuffed:

As for you, @XIII, I suspect you're correct. My debit card has a CVC, so it sounds like yours truly isn't meant to be run as credit. Honestly, I was entirely unaware of how complicated this is and that Wikipedia you linked is particularly illuminating. I guess it just goes to show we humans as a whole are only so good at truly globalizing and still each have our own ideas about how these sorts of systems should work. Here, it's commonplace not to differentiate between credit and debit, and even when I've been with a local credit union, my debit card has had a credit card company logo on it. Are you generally able to use your debit card for online transactions? I'm curious if we can explore other avenues to accept international debit cards and make life easier for y'all. :+1:

• I cannot use my debit card for online purchases.

We can use our bank account though, but only for vendors that cooperate with all the major banks in my country (to finalize a purchase you will be redirected to your bank’s website, where you have to approve the purchase, after which you will be redirected back to the web shop).

PayPal is the only foreign partner that I’m aware of...

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

It's also fairly easy generally speaking to get a prepaid Visa or Mastercard. But when it comes to currencies, paying through 1Password.com isn't guaranteed to save you money if the card you're using is not using USD; 1Password.com is, so conversion and fees may apply. In that case us supporting other payment methods won't help, and Apple is a good option since it works in your local currency. Cheers! :)

• I second that Paypal request.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

Thanks for letting us know! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file