Easy Setup on an iPhone (QR Code)?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

When I set up on the wife's iPad I typed all the information into 1password. I really do not want to do that with her phone. I need setup for dummies. I think there is a QR Code that you can use but I am not sure how to do it. I thought I might have tried to do the scan thing with the iPad but it would not work. I thought perhaps because the paper was not flat, too little light, who knows. I really did not have a clue how to use the code thing. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve_H: With a 1Password.com membership, you'll have a Setup Code you can use to enter most of your account details:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

The standalone version of 1Password has nothing like this though, as there's no account involved, only a vault and a Master Password to decrypt it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I actually have the Emergency Kit printed out and in front of me. At the bottom of the page is a square box with a bunch of unreadable black lines and boxes. Exactly what do I do with this thing to setup her phone? Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi @Steve_H,

From the welcome screen in 1Password on her iPhone select the option to sign in to a 1Password.com account, then select the “Scan Account Details” option. Point the camera of her phone at the square box on the Emergency Kit. That should fill in all of the details except the Master Password. Type the Master Password in.

That should do it. :)

Get the 1Password apps

Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, sorry to be so thick on this. Do I need any addition software on the phone?
    Do I take a picture or just point the camera?
    You can tell I have never done this before. :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Steve_H: No problem! That's what we're here for. As mentioned in the guide I linked earlier, you'll need to open 1Password on the phone first. If you don't already have it, you can get it from the Get the Apps page in your account:

https://start.1password.com/apps

Or just search for 1Password in the App Store. From there, when you open the app, you'll just need to choose the option for an existing 1Password.com account form the Welcome screen there, and then you'll have the option to scan the Setup Code. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.