1Password 6.8.5 Restoring from a backup

Options
cjfahrney
cjfahrney
Community Member

Lost my master password and had to remake. I have since now emailed support and gotten my old account deleted and have my new account created/setup. I have locally saved backups from my previous account with all my passwords that I need, but I seem to be missing something...

At https://support.1password.com/backups/ it says that, to restore from a backup, you should go to 1Password>File>Restore but I don't seem to have that option. Under File, my only options are New Item, New Vault, Import, Export, and Print.

On top of this, though, I noticed my backups are 1p4_zip even though I'm on 1Password 6...Hoping that won't be a problem, will it?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 restoring a backup button

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @cjfahrney -- long time, no speak. ;)

If you have 1Password 6 for Mac installed, you should be able to also go to Preferences > Backup and restore from there. If you don't have a Backup section in Preferences, that means your copy of 1Password 6 for Mac was set up using only your account, not any local vaults. To remedy that, go to the Advanced tab of 1Password's Preferences, and click the button that says Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. This will create a local Primary vault in addition to your 1Password account vaults, as well as reveal a few local-vault-only preferences, including backups.

Return to Preferences > Backup and click Find Backup. This will open a window where you can navigate to wherever that older backup is (and don't worry, 1p4_zip is the correct format; it just hasn't changed since version 4). Use that to restore your old data, but remember, if the backups are using the Master Password you can no longer remember, it won't help you, since you'll be required after backing up to enter the Master Password that was in use when that backup was made. If all of your backups use that same (forgotten) Master Password, there won't be a way to access that data -- unless you also have it on an iOS device somewhere. Let me know if you're able to restore the data!

ref: AZQ-66831-749

• cjfahrney
    cjfahrney
    Community Member
    Options

Yikes. The master password was changed and lost on the 27th, so I assumed that using a backup from before that (December 14th), the master password associated with the backup would be the one from before the 27th... does that make sense? But it doesn't seem like it, because even that password is giving me trouble .... Hope I didn't corner myself into losing all my passwords ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cjfahrney -- it makes perfect sense, and you understood me correctly. I just didn't want you restoring a newer backup and finding yourself still locked out. If you grab the most-recent one that precedes when you know the Master Password was changed, it will use your old Master Password. Of course, you'll lose any changes to the data you made between then and when you wrote in to us, but that shouldn't be too much. Make sure you pick a backup that's from before the change of Master Password.

• cjfahrney
    cjfahrney
    Community Member
    Options

Whew, I got it. Was really stressing out there for a minute! Thanks a million for the help, Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cjfahrney -- hey, I'm just glad it worked! There aren't a lot of experiences in the digital realm suckier than losing all your passwords.

Now that everything's safe, you can sign back into your 1password.com account in 1Password for Mac, transfer the data from the older, standalone vaults into your new account, and finally, delete the Primary vault by going back to Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. Cheers, and Happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed.