Best way to give family member(s) access to organizer's personal vault only upon his/her death?

jfdowshen
jfdowshen
Community Member

Have a family account that includes my children. I have a private (financial information) vault that I wish to remain private until I pass away or am completely disabled. At that point I would like the children to have access to that private vault. Is there a way to allow them to have immediate access to that important information/vault in the event of death or emergency? Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Best way to give family member(s) access to organizer's personal vault only upon his/her death?

Comments

• Hi @jfdowshen,

The only way I could think to do that would be to include your Emergency Kit with your attorney in a sealed envelope marked to only be opened upon your death (though this would allow your attorney to access your 1Password account if they were dishonest), or to lock a copy up in a safety deposit box which relatives would only have the key to upon your death or disability.

There really is no good technical way of doing this; at least not that I’ve heard of.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

What’s wrong with these implementations?

LastPass Emergency Access
    Google Inactive Account Manager

Have not tried either of them, but still curious why something like that would not be good for 1Password customers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Ultimately it's a matter of person preference. For example, I think that "inactivity" is an awful way to manage security. For some people this won't matter at all, but others will understand that this means it's just a matter of their abusive ex tying (literally or otherwise) them up until the get access. For most of us, the reality will be somewhere in between, but I'm not sure that's what I'd call a "win". The other sounds good based on what information we have, but I can't find anything substantial with regard to the details, neither from 3rd parties auditing their security nor our competitor themselves, which makes me uncomfortable. It sounds like it certainly could be fine, and user-friendly; but we've set a high bar for ourselves with 1Password.com in general, with regard to not only usability and security (sharing, on both counts), but also transparency. We'd definitely like to do something in this area, but we're determined to not only get the details right, but also be open about how it works.

• kathrynlee
    kathrynlee
    Community Member

Ben or Brenty: What about a legacy planning feature such as FidSafe's "sharing after death" service that facilitates your important documents being shared with one designated person after your death? After notification and verification of your death, all of your files and notes are shared with your designee in his/her FidSafe account. See https://www.fidsafe.com/info/faq/ and click on "Sharing After Death" for more details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a personal choice of course, but I'd be reluctant to give my Emergency Kit or other sensitive information to a 3rd party period, much less one whose motivations, business model, and security are unclear. I use a safe deposit box, as its contents will be accessible to my family when I die, and the bank isn't going to grant anyone access to that without proper authority.

This discussion has been closed.