Search finding passwords that are not there anymore

Options
AMarcus
AMarcus
Community Member
edited December 2017 in Mac

Hi. One of my old passwords was compromised, so I'm in the process of changing it in all the places I used it to a unique password for each site (not fun). I can search for the Password on my Mac version and see all the sites with the password, but once I change the password and save and search again, the entry still shows in the search. Why?

How can I search for password = somevalue ?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AMarcus,

…, but once I change the password and save and search again, the entry still shows in the search. Why?

When you search 1Password by entering a password in the search field, it'll include any items in the results that also have it in their previously used passwords history.

How can I search for password = somevalue ?

Using search options to search for a password will exclude any previously used passwords. For example:

Clicking show previously used passwords (with passwords revealed) shows these two:

Copy one of those, do a custom search for it, and no items appear in the results:

Give that a try and let us know if you're still seeing more items in the search results than you expect to. Cheers! :)

• AMarcus
    AMarcus
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk Thanks!

I never would have noticed the little arrow next to the magnifying glass. Not a great UI. There should be a Search menu with the same choices. The arrow in the search field should be an alternative shortcut.

At any rate, many thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @AMarcus.

There should be a Search menu with the same choices.

There's Edit > Find > Show Search Options in the app menu, with a Control-Option-Command-F keyboard shortcut. :)

• AMarcus
    AMarcus
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Have a Happy New Year, @AMarcus! :+1:

• AMarcus
    AMarcus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, you too. I just need to change 266 passwords :-(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AMarcus: Ugh. Well, I've been there, so I can sympathize. If it helps, my approach was to nail the really important ones — those where I'd really be in trouble if they were compromised — right off the bat (bank accounts, credit cards, email, etc.). Then, as I used my other accounts, I would update them as well. That got me through almost half, just normal usage, and then I'd do a few here and there every day until I checked off the rest. Just prioritize to be safe, be methodical, and you'll be surprised that you'll get through them before you know it. :)

This discussion has been closed.