To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I already paid for app, all of a sudden asking for a secret key

mathomas79
mathomas79
Community Member

I paid for the 1password app on multiple devices years ago. All of a sudden, it stops working yesterday and when I try to reinstall it on my iMac, it asks for a secret key. I gather this is a ploy to make me buy a monthly subscription to an application that I already paid for. Why can't I keep using the app that I paid for. If I had known this was a monthly subscription service, I would never have purchased the app years ago. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i have had 1password for years, it is now asking for a secret key, do i have to get another app service?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @mathomas79 :)

You can indeed continue to use the app that you paid for, assuming you have a license for 1Password 6. Secret Keys are only for people with 1Password.com Memberships. When you open up 1Password for the first time on your mac you are greeted with a welcome screen. Under the "Used 1Password before?" section pick the sync method you were using (presumably Dropbox or iCloud) and follow the on screen instructions to connect to that service and sync up your data.

• mathomas79
    mathomas79
    Community Member

Thank you, I did get it to work. Luckily, my info was on multiple devices (iMac, iphone). Just an FYI, this process of transitioning to new versions of the software could have been made easier. I used to sync by LAN. One month ago, I got a new iphone and was able to reinstall the app by syncing with my computer. Recently, I was forced to update iOS and I was able to reinstall my iMac app from my new iphone. If both devices needed to be synced at the same time, I would have been completely locked out from my passwords and it would have possibly ruined my life (only a slight exaggeration). I understand the need to monetize your excellent product but a lot of paying customers may be screwed. I am very satisfied with the product by the way (other than the 1password extension having lots of bugs).

• @mathomas79: I'm glad CoreyC was able to help you get things working again! WLAN sync does, indeed, require that you have your data on multiple devices since you don't have your vault backed up remotely. For this reason, we do strongly recommend a 1Password membership or at least syncing your vault via Dropbox or iCloud. This way your data is safe on your sync service no matter what might happen and you're not left out in the cold if something happens to the only device with updated data.

Specifically when it comes to upgrades, the new versions of 1Password will be designed for a fairly seamless transition from, say, 1Password 5 to 1Password 6, but as we continue updating 1Password one thing we do tend to change over time is the database structure. This is most often done as new security features are implemented and that does mean that jumping several versions can be a challenge. The best way to avoid any trouble is to stay updated as much as possible and, if you happen to need to make a big jump, sync your data if you can and back everything up before taking that plunge so you can always get back to where you started. :+1:

• skiddy
    skiddy
    Community Member

Im trying to reinstall 1password from recent download but goes to the web to get me to sign in. Its a standalone app and iI dont have a clue about this secret passcode

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skiddy: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account and sync your data from another device or create a new vault.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Either way, let us know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.