a bit confused setting up family

Moorlander
Moorlander
Community Member

I used to use 1P as solo user but then upgraded - not sure now if i'm now using 'family' or 'teams'.
my vault list has Primary the the top then the name of my family account 'xxxxxxx' and after that 'Personal' and 'Shared'
I'm now not sure when using 1P on iOS or Mac where I am and which master password I need.
I would like to allow my wife to use the shared vault but I would like to be able to access and support that vault as necessary. I would also like my son (trusted) to be able to log into the whole thing in case of emergencies (eg my death!).
How should I best set all this up?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Moorlander: Sure thing! First, make sure you invite both of them to your 1Password Families plan:

https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

Each person will have their own 1Password.com account, their own Personal/Private vault which only you they access, as well as access to the family's Shared vault. If you'd like, you could put a copy of your account credentials there for them to use if something happens to you. Or you could create another vault to share only with your son (and of course any additional vaults you want to share with some, all, or none of your family members — it's up to you).

However, the Primary vault is not at all part of your 1Password.com account, and will be a vestige of what you were using before. If you sign into your account at 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of your data there?

https://start.1password.com/vaults/all

If so, you can safely remove the Primary vault by disabling local vaults in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Advanced, or by deleting it in 1Password for iOS Settings > Vaults > Primary.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Moorlander
    Moorlander
    Community Member

many thanks Brenty - very helpful advice and all getting sorted nicely

Happy New Year to you and the team

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for the kind words, and the update. Glad to hear that all is well now. We're here if you need anything else. And a happy new year to you and your loved ones too! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.