To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Best practice in moving from app to membership

Hi,

After being an iOS and Mac 1Password app user for many years, I have moved to a Membership.

I notice I now have two vaults - the original 'Primary' vault that was associated with the iCloud/dropbox sync function of the app; and a new 'personal' vault' which I'm assuming is looked after by Agile Bits.

My question is - should I delete the old 'Primary' vault (the 'personal' vault duplicates the contents of the 'Primary' vault) and just keep the 'personal' vault? Or should I keep both? My gut tells me there is no need to keep the Primary. Any insights would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:best practice in moving from app to membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisatSydney: Sure thing! Once all of your data is in your 1Password.com account (you can verify this by signing in using your browser — http://my.1password.com/vaults/all ) you can safely remove the Primary vault by going to 1Password Settings > Vaults > Primary > Delete. Just double check to make sure you haven't saved anything new to the Primary vault in the mean time, but deleting it from the app will not remove it from Dropbox or iCloud, so you'll still have that if you need it. It's good to remove the Primary vault though to avoid confusion, since that will not be included in your account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ChrisatSydney
    ChrisatSydney
    Community Member

Thank you Brenty. Just one last question - On the Mac I went to 1Password Preferences > All Vaults ... but there was not an option to delete the primary, only to deselect. Is there another step I need to take, or is deselecting the Primary vault all that I need to do?

• @ChrisatSydney

On Mac please try this:

• To remove your old Primary vault, choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault.

Please let us know how that goes. :)

Ben

• tomjay6
    tomjay6
    Community Member

I just wanted to let you know that I migrated 400 logins that I have had since 2010 to a new family account. I was very nervous about it. I read every migration article on your site beforehand, and put it off for days. I can tell you that the experience was quick, painless, and trouble free. Kudos to agile bits for putting so much work into something that was so easy for the user. Shared passwords will be great for my family, and no more need for a dropbox sync. Well done!

• Thanks so much for the kind words, and for sharing your experience @tomjay6! :)

Ben

• ChrisatSydney
    ChrisatSydney
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, primary vault deleted without any problems.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. And happy new year! :)

This discussion has been closed.